MattKimura
05/08 #1

Switching from Gateway to CFW can be a pain, especially since all your saves were created on Gateway. There's only one way to get those saves to be usable on cia games, and that's to decrypt the saves and eventually import them in the end. It's a very tedious process, but worth it in the end to be able to keep all your saves you worked hard on for so long. Gateway has become more and more obsolete, with CFW being more convenient to work with. ESPECIALLY Arm9loaderhax!

This will guide you on how to convert Gateway saves, and import them into cia games. For those who want to abandon Gateway, or those who still want to keep Gateway but use CFW. No other guide for this existed so I figured I had to create one. The guide is split up into 4 sections. Be sure you have PLENTY of time to work on this, you'll also need a ton of patience for this!

Requirements SavDataFiler (Find it yourself) CTRXplorer JK Save Manager Extreme patience

I. Preperation Steps

1. Right click and copy all your .sav files, paste them anywhere on your computer as backup

2. Make a new folder on your SD card, call it something like "Gateway saves"

3. Copy one of your .sav files into this folder

4. Look up that save file on 3DSDB to see what game it is

5. Rename that .sav file to 000400000FF40A00

6. Make a new folder and name it to whatever game it is Example: SD:/Gateway saves/Super Mario 3D Land/

7. Place the 000400000FF40A00 sav file in this new folder you just created

8. Repeat steps 3-7 until every game is setup this way. Can take a while to go through depending on how much saves you have, be really patient.

9. Download SavDataFiler.cia, CTRXplorer.cia, and JK Save Manager.cia and place them anywhere on the SD card

II. Exporting the saves with SavDataFiler

1. Install the three cia files you downloaded using any cia manager you like. Assemble them near the game cart icon on the home menu for quick access.

2. Open CTRXplorer and browse into the Gateway saves folder, then into the first game folder (Be absolutely sure you work on these in order top to bottom!)

3. Copy the 000400000FF40A00 sav file (Instructions on top screen, should be Y to copy), then press B twice until you're on the SD's root. Paste the file here using the Y button (Say yes to replace if the file already exists)

4. Press home and close it. Press select to open Gateway's rom menu and choose the game you're about to work on, but don't go into the game

5. Load up SavDataFiler (Usually takes a while to load up), then press Y to export the game's save file. Then press home and close it out.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 until every game's save is exported. You'll need extreme patience for this, as this is the only way to decrypt the .sav files.

III. Preparing to import saves with JK Save Manager

1. Install all the cia games you need, for the games you're going to import saves with

2. Launch each and every game one time, allowing it to initialize which creates save data. Again, this takes a LOT of patience to go through

3. Open JK Save Manager, and choose "SD/Cia". Go to each game you're working on, and choose "Export save". Name it to anything, such as the date. Ex: 5-8-16

4. Put the SD card into the computer, browse into SD:/filer/UserSaveData/

5. Open another window, and browse to SD:/JKSV/saves/

6. Right click anywhere in the folder, choose "Sort by > Date of modification" or something similar

7. Go to the window with UserSaveData, and go into a folder, then browse into the next folder Ex: SD:/filer/UserSaveData/20160508031129/054000/Copy the file/s you see in this folder

8. Go to the JKSV window. Browse into the folder that the save is for, then into the next folder. Ex: SD:/JKSV/saves/Super Mario 3D Land/5-8-16/Paste the file/s here and choose to replace (Be sure it's for the right game. If the files don't ask to be replaced, it's likely you're copying the files into the wrong game folder)

9. Repeat steps 7-8 until all SavDataFiler related saves, are now in JK Save Manager's folder ready to be imported.

IV. Importing the saves with JK Save Manager

1. Put the SD card back into the 3DS, load up JK Save Manager

2. Go to "SD/Cia", then go to each game you're importing a save for and choose "Import save", then choose the save to import.

3. Repeat step 2 until every game has it's save imported

4. Launch some of the games to confirm that the save did indeed transfer successfully.

5. Take a deep breath and get yourself something to eat, you deserved it!

6. PLEASE make a backup of ALL the backed up saves from JK Save Manager, by uploading them to Google Drive or Dropbox!! This way your saves are forever safe!

Trivia - Gateway saves are encrypted, so you can't export the save until you first renamed it to 000400000FF40A00 and place it on the root. Since you can't have more than one of the same file name in one directory, you gotta work on these one by one. In this process, you're decrypting the saves.

- Some games like Fantasy Life and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy store their primary save data in "Extdata". If you plan on using the same NAND in the end, you don't have to worry about exporting/importing that.

- The order that you export your Gateway saves with SavDataFiler, should reflect an alphabetical order if you've done them in order top to bottom. So by sorting the folders on your computer by date, it'll be easy to know what each save is.

- Saves from JK Save Manager, can be used by just about ANYBODY, from any region. They're highly universal and valuable to share on saves threads. Post them if you like to contribute!

UniqueGeek
05/08 #2

This is why I prefer to convert my .3ds files to use card 2 saves. Then managing saves is easier than managing them for installed games.

zhdarkstar
05/08 #3

You don't need to use SDF anymore. You just need to rename the .sav to 0004000002C23200.sav instead and you can export the save with JKSM.

MattKimura
05/08 #4

You don't need to use SDF anymore. You just need to rename the .sav to 0004000002C23200.sav instead and you can export the save with JKSM.
Revolutionary!! I had no idea this was possible! I literally asked about Gateway saves in the JK Save Manager thread, and all I get is "I don't know about Gateway, sorry"

This changes EVERYTHING, I'm about to delete my guide lol Thanks for letting me know, I wish I knew about this a long time ago.

zhdarkstar
05/08 #5

Revolutionary!! I had no idea this was possible! I literally asked about Gateway saves in the JK Save Manager thread, and all I get is "I don't know about Gateway, sorry"

This changes EVERYTHING, I'm about to delete my guide lol Thanks for letting me know, I wish I knew about this a long time ago.

It's something that I had tested on a whim when I found out about JKSM. The reason that the workaround for SDF works is that GW mode creates a .sav file for every launched title, even installed cia titles, with all calls for cartridge slot save data being redirected to the .sav instead. I figured that since SDF and JKSM are so functionally similar, the same workaround should work in theory. When Bravely Second Uncensored came out, I decided to put my theory to the test when decrypting my GW save of Bravely Second and importing the data into the cia version of BSU. It was all just a matter of identifying which .sav belonged to JKSM.

Margen67
05/09 #6

Is it possible to import/decrypt a .sav without a Gateway?