Unistellar
12/16 #1

Dear Cloudynights’ readers,

Thank you for all the interest you have shown about our Enhanced Vision Telescope.

Forum moderators have invited us do answer questions on our product on this subforum instead of the one where the first discussions arrised after the publication of an article on the IBTimes. So here you have it, a quick description of our device and an invitation to ask questions. Please re-ask unanswered questions, as answering questions from the former subforum here without the original one will be confusing to external readers.

We have a working prototype of the first Enhanced Vision Telescope that we will exhibit at CES Las Vegas 2017 (January 5th-8th).

What it does is:

- Accumulate light and project it directly into the eyepiece from the start of the accumulation process. To the user, the experience is that the image improves with time: in a matter of seconds or tens of seconds you see the colors and shapes of the galaxies and nebulae you could never see through the eyepiece of a normal telescope.

- Recognize the field of view through comparison with a data base: you can activate a feature that names the objects in the field and gives you some quick info about it. - It’s automated and you can connect it to the internet so we are working on making it a citizen science platform: enroll in observation networks with other connected telescopes and contribute to science. We are working with a former member of the UN planetary defense workgroup to adapt this to NEO and other asteroids watch.

For more please go on our website unistellaroptics.com or ask a question below.

Technically our current prototype is an eyepiece that is attached to a small telescope, but we like the idea of selling a whole integrated compact telescope that includes our innovation.

We think we’ll be able to deliver a consumer product in a bit less than one year.

By the way, we are looking for tips on a good spot to organize demos in las Vegas in the evenings during CES. We’d also like to invite some amateur astronomers to join us at one of our demos!

emontano2
12/18 #2

I don't think is commercially sound to market a telescope just for the eyepiece, if the idea is to create a complete optical set why not binoculars for deep sky?

hottr6
12/20 #3

Stellar idea!

Question: Will the eyepiece "stacker" work with a tracking alt-az, or will field rotation degrade the stacked image to the point that the resulting image will appear fuzzy and unappealing? If so, it should be possible to offer a field de-rotator as an option.

IMO, the eyepiece "stacker" may be a more widely popular device than a complete telescope. Most amateurs already have access to a telescope on a motorized GEM or other equatorial mount (or an alt-azimuth if a de-rotator is available). The market for a complete telescope may be limited to beginners, and depending upon the cost of the complete system, may deter all but the most technically-savvy.

The "Augmented Reality" aspect may have very limited appeal. Meade, Celestron and maybe other major astro-gear companies have offered similar gimmicks (Audiostar, "Astronomer on Board", etc) that may appeal to children but have failed to demonstrate that such features significantly translate into sales.

Personally, I would be most interested in the eyepiece "stacker", but I need another telescope like a hole in the head.

SeattleScott
12/24 #4

Typically tracking alt az mounts work fine for video astronomy. Of course I can't speak to this specific model, but apparently the maximum exposure time is about 10 seconds. It takes more like 20 seconds for field rotation to be a real problem from what I understand.

I agree that for me as a stargazer with my own scopes and an eq mount, the Revolution Imager or some thing like it makes more sense. However what makes this product unique is that everything is integrated into one complete system, and the "screen" is viewed thru an eyepiece rather than on a tablet or laptop. Not sure how practical it is to sell a standalone "eyepiece" that has the camera, screen and battery all included. If they can do it it would be really cool, but I suspect the reason for selling it as a whole unit with the telescope is to integrate things like power source, etc. Regardless this remains an interesting development to keep an eye on.

Scott

SeattleScott
12/24 #5

I don't think is commercially sound to market a telescope just for the eyepiece, if the idea is to create a complete optical set why not binoculars for deep sky?
Because you need a tracking mount.

OleCuss
12/25 #6

Typically tracking alt az mounts work fine for video astronomy. Of course I can't speak to this specific model, but apparently the maximum exposure time is about 10 seconds. It takes more like 20 seconds for field rotation to be a real problem from what I understand.

I agree that for me as a stargazer with my own scopes and an eq mount, the Revolution Imager or some thing like it makes more sense. However what makes this product unique is that everything is integrated into one complete system, and the "screen" is viewed thru an eyepiece rather than on a tablet or laptop. Not sure how practical it is to sell a standalone "eyepiece" that has the camera, screen and battery all included. If they can do it it would be really cool, but I suspect the reason for selling it as a whole unit with the telescope is to integrate things like power source, etc. Regardless this remains an interesting development to keep an eye on.

Scott

A good tracking Alt-Az mount is not likely to show issues with field rotation at under 20 seconds. But in some locations on some targets field rotation will never be an issue at all.

But a lot of Alt-Az mounts are not designed to track well enough for astrophotography so 20 seconds can be a fairly practical sub-image choice. In any case, if one has a fast optical system and a camera which is pretty sensitive - then in light pollution a 20 second exposure may be overwhelmed by skyglow whereas under dark skies you may be able to go much longer.

Net effect is that on some targets my relatively smooth LX-200 without a wedge should be able to track for over a minute on some targets. Thus under dark skies I want the ability to integrate for rather extended times. I also have equatorial mounts. . .

I really like the idea of an integrated eyepiece in many ways, but one concern would be the ability to upgrade as the technology advances. It may not prove practical for some of us if the initial cost is high and upgrades are not reasonably possible.

But it is a cool concept and I hope it works out brilliantly!