Zodiac Suspect and Mystery Man "Joseph Newton Chandler" Identified Finally

Discussion of all Zodiac DNA news and certain other topics should be posted here
TejasRob
Old Newbie
TejasRob
Old Newbie

July 12th, 2018, 11:41 pm #321

sandy betts wrote: Remember he asked his attorney to send him a copy, because he didn't have one yet?
Yeah, but he did that in 1965.

July 13th, 2018, 4:16 pm #322

He was moving round so much in 1965, how do we know he was able to receive the copy of his divorce?  Lets say he did receive a copy in 1965. He didn't comply with the order, or the family would have said they received support money. So far as we know he only sent "one penny" , post marked Napa in 1965. 

The point I am trying to make ,is that he didn't want to pay child support and did everything he could to avoid paying it, including getting a new identity.   
I don't see any proof of anything more sinister than that so far. 

TommyT
DOJ

July 13th, 2018, 4:19 pm #323

sandy betts wrote: He was moving round so much in 1965, how do we know he was able to receive the copy of his divorce?  Lets say he did receive a copy in 1965. He didn't comply with the order, or the family would have said they received support money. So far as we know he only sent "one penny" , post marked Napa in 1965. 

The point I am trying to make ,is that he didn't want to pay child support and did everything he could to avoid paying it, including getting a new identity.   
Although it seems that he’s moved a lot, we still do not know exactly when and how long he stayed at the Barrington address. As well though, for all we know, the Barrington address could have been a military friend he was staying with for all we know. I emailed Elliot last night regarding those questions, but he’s been slower lately to respond .

Bolt
VPD

July 13th, 2018, 4:43 pm #324

If he did work in LA through '75, he would have had at least one more LA-area address.

July 13th, 2018, 5:39 pm #325

There were a few Robert Nichols in the LA area in the 60's, One in 1960 was listed as a "Electrical Engineer" lived at 624 Huntington Dr. Arcadia Calif. He was with spouse Barbara Nichols.

July 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm #326

One of my searches shows his death 7-24-2002, but his SS being  issued in 1973 SD.

Looking through his military records , I found "Navy Pension disapproved" For Robert Nichols. A name next to his about the pension was "Patrick Lynch". file number 23190 ,cert. number 27966, fiche number 6868. I wonder why his pension was denied?

TejasRob
Old Newbie
TejasRob
Old Newbie

July 13th, 2018, 6:11 pm #327

sandy betts wrote: He was moving round so much in 1965, how do we know he was able to receive the copy of his divorce? 
We don't, but it seems he was expecting to be there to get it when it arrived.
Lets say he did receive a copy in 1965. He didn't comply with the order, or the family would have said they received support money. So far as we know he only sent "one penny" , post marked Napa in 1965.
Yeah, I think it's a given he never sent any support money. He even broke off contact with his parents around that same time and they most likely would have known if he was sending money.

Yeah, I haven't seen proof or even evidence there were more sinister motives. I do believe there was more to it than just not wanting to pay child support, else he would have left the $80,000 + in his bank account to his sons when he killed himself.

"More to it" could be a lot of things, not necessarily sinister or illegal. I can't help but wonder if he had convinced himself those were not his kids. Maybe he had reason. Maybe he developed some sort of hate for his family.

I still haven't given up on him possibly being involved with the Peoples Temple. They wanted you to cut ties with your family and give your money to the church. That he left Indiana and cut ties to his family the same time the church moved from Indiana to California seems quite a coincidence. They went to Northern California first and we know Nichols was in that area. He appears to be in Los Angeles a long time before the church set up there, but the church had people in a lot of places. I don't rule it out.

TejasRob
Old Newbie
TejasRob
Old Newbie

July 13th, 2018, 6:15 pm #328

sandy betts wrote: One of my searches shows his death 7-24-2002, but his SS being  issued in 1973 SD.

Looking through his military records , I found "Navy Pension disapproved" For Robert Nichols. A name next to his about the pension was "Patrick Lynch". file number 23190 ,cert. number 27966, fiche number 6868. I wonder why his pension was denied?
Do you have a link to his military records? I've been meaning to look for them but haven't.

TommyT
DOJ

July 13th, 2018, 6:32 pm #329

Received the e-mail back from Elliot; however, he did not answer the part about what he might know about the Barrington address.  I replied attempting to follow-up with such.  He thanked us for all of the hard work and told us to feel free to keep fishing.   

So specifically, Elliot stated in the email "No we do not believe Nichols was running from child support."  Furthermore, wife died in 1992.  I initially asked specifics about this in general (such as did she or the kids ever file, go after him, are there records of them ever filing etc.) and as most LE officials are, he only provided the vague answer quoted above.  So do we take this to assume that he has completely ruled it out because there is no record of any filings for child support, ex-wife never sought legal counsel, the kids didn't try etc.  There was nothing that would have made him believe as such unless he made it up in his own mind??????  In my experience, usually the most direct and easy vague answer means there is a hell of a lot more to the story then can be shared and if the Marshalls office feels "they do not believe" means look elsewhere. 

He also verified the story is true about the cake and "we'll eat when I say we eat" something along those lines.  He said that it had been reported that he would go off his rocker at times.

I emailed him again asking what he might have figured out about the Barrington address 

TejasRob
Old Newbie
TejasRob
Old Newbie

July 13th, 2018, 8:31 pm #330

Good work TT. I wonder if they think they know why he left.