Karanovo
Karanovo

February 26th, 2014, 8:20 pm #81

I've reasearched alot on these Cryptos and I'm pretty sure the Zodiac is using mostly Phonetic symbols in them,yet He mixes them in a way that is by far to off for Me.The "F' symbol with the line and tail on it He uses in some of His letters is the Phonecian symbol for the letter "Y'.This is one case that really gets Me.

February 13th, 2015, 9:53 pm #82

Hey, all. 
I wrote a piece for Ratter's continuing investigation into all things Zodiac, about the time that I thought I solved the 340 cipher. (Spoiler: I didn't.) Check it out, if you're interested.  

Tahoe27
DOJ

February 14th, 2015, 12:54 am #83

"Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something". Franklin D. Roosevelt
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

DerekP
Old Newbie
DerekP
Old Newbie

October 22nd, 2016, 10:23 pm #84

<div><br /></div>
Last edited by DerekP on October 23rd, 2016, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DerekP
Old Newbie
DerekP
Old Newbie

October 22nd, 2016, 10:32 pm #85

There appears to be something handwritten directly above the first line of code in the 340-cipher. It is very subtle and hard to pick out what it says. If you have Photoshop open the hi-res 340 and adjust the levels or curves and the lettering will be a little more pronounced.
Hopefully someone else will see this. I don’t think its show through from the other side of the page because the letters don’t seem to be reversed.

DerekP
Old Newbie
DerekP
Old Newbie

October 22nd, 2016, 10:40 pm #86

It looks like a collection of letters. Don't seem to be words.
Last edited by DerekP on October 23rd, 2016, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zaikgeist
Old Newbie
Zaikgeist
Old Newbie

December 6th, 2017, 6:18 am #87

I'm sure it was mentioned in this thread but who misspells the word ZODIAC as

zodiac.jpg

as in GAIK??

I would just substitute the letter G for every Triangle symbol in the cipher.

Remember, Gaik would have written the code without thinking that anyone knew it was coming from Gaik because in his mind he was not on anyone's radar as the killer and people subconsciously insert things into their writings (ciphers in this case) when they don't think anyone is on to them.

What I'm saying is, a person like Gaik would have no problem inserting a misspell (a Freudian slip) as Gaik because he knew that no one really knew who he was.

It's not like he was writing the code today when everyone is aware of him, back then he thought in his mind he was anonymous (and he essentially was back then) so signing the cipher GAIK didn't really expose him as the killer in his mind.

This makes sense, as the new show thinks the 340 could have been written by a civilian (as opposed to military) and they entertained the idea that is was more "free form jazz" as opposed to "classical" which is when a Freudian slip could easily occur as opposed to a military "structure" that would have caught the "slip".

pettax
pettax

January 29th, 2018, 12:54 am #88

I'm sure someone has tried it, but i think it's a Vigenère cipher. Although i'm no expert. A Vigenère cipher, with just normal text would surely been broken by now. But it's not normal text, and add the fact of zodiacs misspellings on purpose to the equation. That is why a computer can't solve it. 

Vigenère cipher, was if i understand correctly, considered very strong for a long time, so it's not impossible that z liked it and made a few improvments himself. If you're not familiar with it and want to know more:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigenère_cipher

db2010
db2010

February 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm #89

I'll see your "high rez" 340cipher and raise you four layer seperated higher rez 340cipher with a bonus higher rez halloween key card....a full hand...have fun cracking...
Halloween-Punch-Card.jpg
340CipherSolutionUPSIDE_DOWN_LETTERS_ONLY.jpg
340CipherSolutionBAKCWARDS_LETTERS_ONLY.jpg
340CipherSolutionSYMBOLS_ONLY.jpg
340CipherSolutionLETTERS_ONLY.jpg
340CipherSolutionTOTAL.jpg

Beans
Beans

February 6th, 2018, 10:42 pm #90

TomVoigt wrote: For those of you interested in the Zodiac's codes, I've managed to acquire a high-res (1500x2307 | 466KB) full-color image of the unsolved Z340 cipher. See preview below:

Here's a link to the image -- http://www.zodiackiller.com/images/340hr.jpg.
Heres the text version: http://zodiackillerciphers.com/combined ... phers.html