JonnyK
DOJ

July 8th, 2009, 11:19 am #11

Z stated that there was no point trying to trace his weapons/ammo as he bought them mail order/out of state before the ban came into effect. He also stated that he left no clues such as fingerprints as he put glue on his fingers and that he wore a disguise so didn't look like the composite.Now, a lot of people are of the belief that he was sweating a bit after almost getting caught at the Stine scene so might have made up the fact about his disguise and fingerprints - ie. he DID look just like the disguise and he DID leave fingerprints. I wonder if it's worth also considering that he DID buy the ammo and guns in late '68 shortly before the LH murders so could have been traced after all? Perhaps after Stine he became paranoid and disposed of all his killing tools, Z hood, etc as the felt they were closing in on him? Could explain the sudden stop in his murder activity.He might have made lots of cock-ups but only realised after the events so felt the need to write letters explaining that the police would be wasting their time as he'd been so clever, whereas really he was sweating about the mistakes he'd made and had to get the police off the trail? Wonder if LE still investigated all gun/ammo sale anyway or if they took a chance that he was telling the truth in his letter and thought it would be an enormous task and a waste of valuable police sources when they already had 2500 suspects to check out...

December 1st, 2009, 4:31 am #12

I was searching online for a picture of the Zodiac's ammunition. Is this box correct ?Or is this it ?
The latter is closer but the real ammo would be coppercoated thus bronze in color on the bullet tips. Good ammo, reasonably priced, extremely accurate stuff. Odds are any .22s he used would be too fragmented to use for forensics, but the 9mm he used probably would be able to be used as most of that ammo is usually tho not always full metal jacketed.Wonder if the LE has the slugs still? Of course without a weapon not much good there....

Warren
DOJ

December 1st, 2009, 3:40 pm #13

Of no particular importance, but the bullets in the first picture are known as ratshot, like little shotgun shells. They probably wouldn't kill anyone unless you really got lucky.I would think, and hope, that somewhere all of the recovered bullets are still in an evidence room.

Tahoe27
DOJ

December 1st, 2009, 7:55 pm #14

I think they are just your basic .22 longs. Like the one in the middle:
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Warren
DOJ

December 2nd, 2009, 3:23 pm #15

I meant in wingwalker's very first picture. The ones used in the crime were propably the middle picture, long rifle .22. That .22 mag is a nasty round, a lot more power than the LR.

December 3rd, 2009, 9:08 pm #16

I meant in wingwalker's very first picture. The ones used in the crime were propably the middle picture, long rifle .22. That .22 mag is a nasty round, a lot more power than the LR.
Either round will kill if placed precisely, mafia hitmen prefer the silenced .22 for unobtrusive murdering. I think our own Special Forces may also.

Bosch
SFPD

December 4th, 2009, 3:15 am #17

Back in the 70s I saw an armed robber who had been shot in the head by a store owner weilding a .22 loaded with long rifles. Lots of really viscous blood on the pavement outside the store. No exit wound--the slug just bounced around inside the suspect's noggin. This was about 1975 or '76 IIRC.

jim t
DOJ

December 4th, 2009, 5:43 am #18

I have a Popular Mechanics add for Winchester super X from 1974. I can scan it an email it if anyone wants to post it.

December 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm #19

The picture that Tahoe 27 has shown of the two on the left, is the closest to what was used I believe. I have some casings found at Lake Herman rd the day that we went there.I was given a half box of 22 long, when I was given a 22 rifle. I bought a 38 colt sp. for 6.00, back in the mid 70's, the men who sold it, just threw in the rifle, because they said they didn't like guns.Looking back on that sale, the two men who sold it to me. Didn't want me to come into their trailer, only my husband.I didn't see what they looked like, my husband told me they both had shaved heads. My suspect from Jan 88 had a shaved head. Probably just another one of those strange coincidences. Even the 26th letter in the alphabet, being the same amount I paid. I still have the cancelled check showing the amount of 6.00.From what I know about the 22, was that the reason it was used by so many hit men. Is that even if you don't hit the person in the hart for instance, the round will bounce around and hit many vital organs, before making a exit. Sometimes never exiting.The hallow point I doubt was available back then.

December 11th, 2009, 2:04 am #20

It must have been very painful, especially for Ms.Jensen to be hit by that kind of bullet/s.