What have we overlooked?

nonsmokinggun
Old Newbie

February 15th, 2018, 9:16 pm #1

What have we missed?

I know this case has been poured over for many years but there must be something staring us in the face that we have missed.

What can we go over again in perhaps a different way?

I am sure there must be something we have overlooked, somewhere. I don't think the answer is in the cyphers either.

Please note this is not an attack on anyone as I think all in here do and have done a fantastic job and no more so than Tom. I am just trying to figure out a new way to look at this case. Call it frustration I guess.

RKZ
RKZ

February 15th, 2018, 11:40 pm #2

I don't think enough attention has been paid to Zodiac's bomb-making activities (or associated bomb threats). There's been a lot of speculation about the weapons he used, his costume, all kinds of other subjects, but strangely there's not much to read about concerning the bombs he threatened to use, how he could have made them, if he actually did plant them somewhere, if there are suspects with a history of making or detonating small explosives, etc. For whatever reason, I feel like this area of Zodiac's "career" has been severely overlooked. I feel like Zodiac may have been attempting to stage some George Metesky-style terrorist activities to step up his reign of terror after the last confirmed person-to-person close range attack with a gun. At least he used the threat of those activities to intimidate and terrorize SF and the surrounding areas. Why he never carried out those threats is a mystery to me. Did something happen to spook him out of carrying out those threats? Did any of the suspects (besides ALA) have histories with bomb-making, either in the military or clandestinely? In any case, I really wish there was more material about Zodiac and his bomb threats. Is it possible that more research into the types of bombs he threatened to use (and the materials he would need to buy and have knowledge of to make the bomb) hold some kind of key to his identity? It's a long shot, but what else is left to pore over obsessively?
MELVILLE EATS BLUBBER

February 16th, 2018, 2:44 am #3

I wonder if on the flip-side he didn't follow through on the bomb threats because he wasn't actually as well versed in it as he tried to portray? Easy threat for maximum shock value as he clearly followed through on killing people in other ways.

I'm sure as Tom alluded to, that there are likely some great clues in the mountains of Z related stuff kept by the various law enforcement agencies that might on the surface appear to be concerned citizens trying to help, but were Z trying to insert himself into the investigation, or items dismissed as hoaxes that turn out to be real.

If/when it is solved I'm sure there will be some things that in hindsight will seem obvious that at the moment just aren't on the radar so to speak.

RKZ
RKZ

February 16th, 2018, 2:58 am #4

One of the things that made some in LE and guys like Graysmith think ALA was Zodiac was that ALA knew about constructing bombs, and that bomb-making materials were found in his Fresno St. house. I may be missing something here, but have any of the other major suspects displayed knowledge of bomb-making? I would wager that Gaikowski might have, given his involvement in radical politics.

I think i remember a discussion a while ago talking about how Zodiac's bomb diagrams looked amateurish. But apart from ALA, were any of the other suspects tied to bomb-making or bomb-building? It just seems like an avenue that rarely gets explored or discussed; can't help but feel that there must be something of interest there. Code-making, bomb-making, costume-making, interest in musical theater and silent film...how many suspects have backgrounds or knowledge in all four of  those areas? It seems to me like it's a weird, uncommon four-fecta.
MELVILLE EATS BLUBBER

Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

February 16th, 2018, 4:56 am #5

I think the thing staring us in the face is Santa Barbara. Every time I think about this case, I wonder what is in that file. 

Short of getting access to that file, I think you start by going through the Lompoc HS 1963 yearbook and you find every single person in there that has any connection to Vallejo 1968-69 and run each of those lines all the way to the end. 

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

February 16th, 2018, 5:02 am #6

Regal_Legal_Beagle wrote: I think the thing staring us in the face is Santa Barbara. Every time I think about this case, I wonder what is in that file. 
I might do something about that.

Not You
Not You

February 16th, 2018, 7:01 am #7

I have zero insights but I think about this ALL the time... that something or someone was dismissed or overlooked early on, and if the killer was ever to be revealed it will just be a giant “duh” moment... so infuriatingly, spellbindingly frustrating, but I guess that’s why we are all here!

Often turns out to be someone identified pretty early on... I have to admit if it did actually turn out to be ALA I’d be kind of deflated

Tim Spencer
Old Newbie
Tim Spencer
Old Newbie

February 17th, 2018, 2:29 pm #8

RKZ wrote: I don't think enough attention has been paid to Zodiac's bomb-making activities (or associated bomb threats). There's been a lot of speculation about the weapons he used, his costume, all kinds of other subjects, but strangely there's not much to read about concerning the bombs he threatened to use, how he could have made them, if he actually did plant them somewhere, if there are suspects with a history of making or detonating small explosives, etc. For whatever reason, I feel like this area of Zodiac's "career" has been severely overlooked. I feel like Zodiac may have been attempting to stage some George Metesky-style terrorist activities to step up his reign of terror after the last confirmed person-to-person close range attack with a gun. At least he used the threat of those activities to intimidate and terrorize SF and the surrounding areas. Why he never carried out those threats is a mystery to me. Did something happen to spook him out of carrying out those threats? Did any of the suspects (besides ALA) have histories with bomb-making, either in the military or clandestinely? In any case, I really wish there was more material about Zodiac and his bomb threats. Is it possible that more research into the types of bombs he threatened to use (and the materials he would need to buy and have knowledge of to make the bomb) hold some kind of key to his identity? It's a long shot, but what else is left to pore over obsessively?
 I have posted this twice before, and no one has even commented. I believe there is a huge connection between the murder of Stephanie Bryant in Berkeley in 1955 and the Zodiac. I have huge threads. Excellent book on the subject is Keith Walker's "Trail of Corn." That alone is a fantastic subject for obsessive poring. 

Second, IMO, I am 100% sure that Ed Edwards killed Peyton/Allen in Portland lover's lane double murder Thanksgiving 1960. Phil Stanford, leading authority and author from that case agrees. I can really back this up if anyone is interested. The day after the murders, some south of portland, an awol sailor was suspiciously blown up by a bomb and authorities thought it might be related to the case. I can post that article if anyone wants. So, there's some stuff for you all to look into.
thks 
tim
Last edited by Tim Spencer on February 18th, 2018, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RKZ
RKZ

February 17th, 2018, 3:28 pm #9

Tim Spencer wrote:
RKZ wrote: I don't think enough attention has been paid to Zodiac's bomb-making activities (or associated bomb threats). There's been a lot of speculation about the weapons he used, his costume, all kinds of other subjects, but strangely there's not much to read about concerning the bombs he threatened to use, how he could have made them, if he actually did plant them somewhere, if there are suspects with a history of making or detonating small explosives, etc. For whatever reason, I feel like this area of Zodiac's "career" has been severely overlooked. I feel like Zodiac may have been attempting to stage some George Metesky-style terrorist activities to step up his reign of terror after the last confirmed person-to-person close range attack with a gun. At least he used the threat of those activities to intimidate and terrorize SF and the surrounding areas. Why he never carried out those threats is a mystery to me. Did something happen to spook him out of carrying out those threats? Did any of the suspects (besides ALA) have histories with bomb-making, either in the military or clandestinely? In any case, I really wish there was more material about Zodiac and his bomb threats. Is it possible that more research into the types of bombs he threatened to use (and the materials he would need to buy and have knowledge of to make the bomb) hold some kind of key to his identity? It's a long shot, but what else is left to pore over obsessively?
 I have posted this twice before, and one has even commented. I believe there is a huge connection between the murder of Stephanie Bryant in Berkeley in 1955 and the Zodiac. I have huge threads. Excellent book on the subject is Keith Walker's "Trail of Corn." That alone is a fantastic subject for obsessive poring. 

Second, IMO, I am 100% sure that Ed Edwards killed Peyton/Allen in Portland lover's lane double murder Thanksgiving 1960. Phil Stanford, leading authority and author from that case agrees. I can really back this up if anyone is interested. The day after the murders, some south of portland, an awol sailor was suspiciously blown up by a bomb and authorities thought it might be related to the case. I can post that article if anyone wants. So, there's some stuff for you all to look into.
thks 
tim
Interesting. Had not heard about this case before, and I've just been reading a few articles about it. So you believe that Burton Abbott was framed for that murder and ultimately whoever became the Zodiac actually committed the murder? I would like to hear more about this. How did Stephanie Bryan's body go missing and then turn up near Abbott's cabin 285 miles away? Is the implication here that Zodiac was a member of law enforcement and that he framed Abbott for his own crime? If so, why Abbott? Sorry, I haven't read the book, I only just heard about this case from you today. I'll go look for your threads on the subject in the meantime. Thanks for the tip.
MELVILLE EATS BLUBBER

February 17th, 2018, 6:09 pm #10

I also believe that Burton Abbott was framed by someone who knew him well and planted the evidence in his basement. Oddly enough his "brother" ended up married to Burton's wife. I spoke to a reporter who interviewed Burton A, he believed as I do, that he was framed by someone close to him. I do not believe it had anything to do with anyone in LE.

I would be looking at relatives and co- workers. It has been so many years,I don't remember if she was raped or not? I would like to see if there was any evidence at all kept that could be tested for DNA?

Doubtful that anything was kept after his conviction and execution, too bad, such a sad case.