Two questions.

Twigs
Twigs

February 11th, 2015, 10:22 am #1

In the Zodiac movie Graysmith goes to Vaughn's house. I thought this was just a dramatized version of a phone call, but no, apparently it really happened. That raises a lot more questions than it answers. First of all, why would he go to the guy's house, let alone his basement, if he thought he was possibly involved with the Zodiac? Second, if Vaughn's handwriting matched the Zodiac's, what more investigation was done into that? I can't find anything on it. Third, assuming those footsteps on the ceiling of the basement weren't in Graysmith's head, was there any further investigation into these? It seems that the obvious suspect would be Rick Marshall. Has Graysmith given an interview or anything like that explaining these events?

Why was Rick Marshall cleared? I see on this board that he has been, but no explanation of to as of why. I can't imagine any reason the police would keep it a secret. Air tight alibi? DNA evidence? What about comparing the palm print on the letter or fingerprint on the Paul Stine murder to both Marshall and Vaughn?
They could have been working together, right? As far as I know that is a legitimate theory, so were all of those avenues explored before they cleared him? Considering the mistakes that have been made in this case I don't see why this couldn't be considered an error as well.

ophion1031
Old Newbie
ophion1031
Old Newbie

February 11th, 2015, 10:46 am #2

IIRC, Marshall was cleared by DNA testing.

Twigs
Twigs

February 11th, 2015, 1:25 pm #3

Can you provide a link please? I can't find one?

And compared to what? The palm print? That's doesn't prove anything if we think he had an accomplice.

BugsMoran
DOJ

March 10th, 2015, 1:05 pm #4

During his final days the police met with Rick Marshall by request and he apparently re-stated he wasn't the Zodiac. He probably wasn't a POI in many years and the police went on the off-chance he would confess, or provide them with leads on the Zodiac. It doesn't appear that there was enough time to conduct a DNA test. How likely is it that they are going to fingerprint a dying man unless he insists? Besides, I would imagine if he was a legitimate suspect,. his fingerprints were already on file. It seems like the meeting was more to give the man some peace of mind in his dying days

I don't know if anybody is really ever truly cleared in the minds of every Zodiac hunter-researcher once a person has been declared  a suspect or a POI. I don't believe Rick Marshall was the Zodiac, or part of a team Zodiac. However, after several years of  reading books, articles and postings on the Zoiac, I still find Marshall one of the top four compelling suspects (along with ALA, Gaik and Kane).