serya
VPD

11:19 PM - Jan 29, 2008 #11

I think one possibilty for not saying "it wasn't me" is that he did enjoy having the cops chase false leads, he probably thought it was funny, but would also trigger a response from him...
That's a good point. I guess sit back and watch the mayhem that ensues as some sort of cultural experiment.

Sean
DOJ

11:21 AM - Feb 02, 2008 #12

Tom, if you for a minute, assume Toschi faked the Exorcist letter, then he would have left the fake clew "Leigh", at the bottom, because he was his Fave, and slipped through his hands
Interesting perhaps that Allen's name can be extracted fairly simply from both letters..Exorcist and Belli.

Choop
Old Newbie
Choop
Old Newbie

9:47 PM - Oct 22, 2008 #13

Maybe I'm missing something but what POSSIBLE motive would Toschi have to fake a Zodiac letter? The only thing I can think of is that he'd do it to point to someone that he "knows" is Z but can't prove it. He'd want to force more evidence on the guy to do this but neither suspected "Toschi Letters" contain any damning evidence against any particular person.Unless Toschi was insane (and he obviously wasn't) this would have been one of the dumbest things he could possibly do.Am I missing something??

1:15 AM - Oct 23, 2008 #14

Maybe I'm missing something but what POSSIBLE motive would Toschi have to fake a Zodiac letter?
Some say to keep Zodiac's name, and the case, on everyone's mind. Some say to keep Toschi's name on everyone's mind.

2:56 PM - Oct 23, 2008 #15

Meanwhile:In late 1969, a faker claiming to be the Zodiac called the Jim Dunbar show. That event seemed to motivate the real Zodiac to quickly write a letter to Dunbar's guest that day, Mel Belli.In mid 1990, someone claiming to be the Zodiac killer began getting national attention for killing people in New York City. By December 1990, someone wrote the now-famous Eureka card. I'm assuming it was the real Zodiac.We have one and possibly two occasions where the real Zodiac was prompted to communicate because of a fake Zodiac.Perhaps the Exorcist letter was indeed a fake, and that motivated the real Zodiac to write the May 1974 Citizen letter? Certainly the Citizen letter looks more authentic than the Exorcist letter. Much as Zodiac spoofed his looney faker in 1969, in 1974 he could have been doing the same, hence two alleged Zodiac letters in a row about movies.
Zodiac was an attention seeker par excellence, so of course when a fraud claims to be Z he is going to write a letter as well.He won't let anybody steal his spotlight

5:18 PM - Oct 23, 2008 #16

Unless, of course, he was totally out of the whole Zodiac thing by then.

eastcoast
DOJ

5:39 PM - Oct 23, 2008 #17

Something I never considered before is the fact that the Belli letter may not have been written by Zodiac. I have always assumed becasue a piece of Paul Stine's shirt was included, it must have been sent by Z. Or else someone with access to Paul Stine's shirt.I know that some of Paul Stine's shirt is still missing, but does anyone recall where the pieces which were mailed back fit in terms of the section Zodiac took ?If for example, the piece in the Belli letter is adjacent to the remainder of the shirt recovered it could imply one thing, where as is the section mailed in the Belli letter is at the very bottom, then most certainly if must have been send by Z.I'm not trying to stir up a can of worms here, its just that the tone and the handwriting on the Belli letter never sat right with me. But then again, if someone were trying to fake a Z letter, they would not make it look like the Belli letter.

8:59 PM - Oct 23, 2008 #18

EastCoast:
I'm not trying to stir up a can of worms here, its just that the tone and the handwriting on the Belli letter never sat right with me. But then again, if someone were trying to fake a Z letter, they would not make it look like the Belli letter.
Anything is possible, of course, but if I were that close to the investigation, to have access that enabled me to get a piece of the shirt, I don't think Belli would be my choice of people/newspapers to send it to. Aside from that, I'm assuming that they took photographs immediately upon the first letter from Zodiac containing a piece of the shirt. If that were a possibility, I think it would have been looked at when Toschi was accused of faking a Z letter.CP

Johnny5
DOJ

7:06 AM - Oct 24, 2008 #19

...in recent years retired San Francisco Police Dept. Detective Dave Toschi told at least two fellow officers that he had faked more than one Zodiac letter...
like Nacht I too hadn't heard of this...can you give more details about this Tom?

gardibolt
DOJ

3:15 PM - Oct 24, 2008 #20

Wow...it's one thing to suggest forging a letter from Z, but it's really something else to suggest that Toschi swiped some of Stine's shirt from the evidence lockers to mail to Belli. I have an antiauthoritarian streak a mile wide, but even I'm not prepared to go that far. I mean, talk about multiplying the chances you'll get caught a hundredfold---not to mention making yourself a Zodiac suspect in the process. Toschi would have to be completely out of his mind.