"This is the Zodiac Speaking"

Discussion of Zodiac's Dragon card should be posted here

"This is the Zodiac Speaking"

September 21st, 2007, 7:26 pm #1

I'€™m unsure if this topic has been brought up before or not, but I just noticed that this is the only letter/card sent by Zodiac after his initial use of introduction as "€œThis is the Zodiac speaking"€ in which he doesn'€™t salute his correspondence using this phrase.

He began using this salutation in August of 1969 and was quite consistent with its use until April of 70 when the Dragon card was received. He uses it again until the Halloween Card is sent and then once more in the March 71 letter to the LA Times.

I’m not wondering if the police held back a portion of the correspondence from the Dragon Card for some reason – the part that may have held the opening, usual greeting of Zodiac.

Has anyone actually seen this card? Just curious.
Last edited by ForumerDeletedUser on January 25th, 2013, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 21st, 2007, 8:07 pm #2

It's been reproduced online for at least nine years.

September 21st, 2007, 11:21 pm #3

It's been reproduced online for at least nine years.
I know you have a copy of the card and the note that goes with it on site, but what I'm curious about is if there was another sentence or two that was left off for some reason... But, sounds like there isn't and it was just that the Z decided he didn't want to start off this card with his usual greeting.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 21st, 2007, 11:32 pm #4

There is nothing in the photographs of the card that would indicate anything had been edited. Also, holding back info like that would have been done when the letters first arrived in mid 1969, not long after everyone already knew Zodiac's opening line.

Seagull
DOJ

September 23rd, 2007, 4:31 am #5

LindaI think the reason the usual greeting was not used in this card is simply because there was not enough room for it. This card appears to be one that folds in thirds, you can faintly see a crease mark down from the cheek of the rider and through the dragon's body. The other fold is fairly obvious.When you look at the letter portion that is writen on the back of the card the crease lines are not where you would expect them to be which is why I think that when the card was turned over it was rotated 90 degrees to write the letter. Notice the larger spaces between between lines 5 and 6 and lines 12 and 13, I expect the creases are in those larger spaces. I think Z could only fit so much on the card and he left off his greeting to have room to say what he wanted to say.

September 23rd, 2007, 9:26 am #6

I think the reason the usual greeting was not used in this card is simply because there was not enough room for it. This card appears to be one that folds in thirds, you can faintly see a crease mark down from the cheek of the rider and through the dragon's body. The other fold is fairly obvious.
Thanks, Seagull - that does make sense. It also appears that he has mellowed out somewhat here, especially at the end when he "politely" says "thank you."

Seagull
DOJ

September 25th, 2007, 4:23 am #7

Since there is no discernable border around the the back of the card it is rather difficult to place the front and back exactly. I printed out the two pages and was able to fold each to come out as I had said in my post. If the crease lines are not between the lines, why don't they show up in the writing? There should be some evidence of the creases. I am surprised they don't show up as faint lines on the back of the card to be honest.One thing I noticed while doing my folding project is that the card is too small for the envelope. Maybe the card was reduced for posting as the envelope seems the right size for a greeting card but the card itself looks a bit small, an odd size like the school Valentine.

March 6th, 2008, 4:49 am #8

Has anyone thought of why Z chose the cards he did? Is the obvious staring us in the face? Is the little guy on the Donkey a Miner? Mining up in the mountains (while hiding for a time). Z speaks in one letter of pine needles in fingernails. Also, something about peaking through the pines. Hum, lots of pine trees in the mountains. I don't know about the Dragon. Could be the name of a mine or? Maybe Z was giving a hint as to where he could be found at the time.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 6th, 2008, 4:54 am #9

Using that approach, the Halloween card with the skeleton meant he had moved from the mountains to a cemetary.

March 6th, 2008, 5:27 am #10

Or nearby one. Or close to a morgue. Or...