The Exorcist- The Back Story

Seagull
DOJ

7:46 PM - Jun 05, 2010 #1

I watched a program on the Smithsonian Channel today that told the back story of Peter Blatty's inspiration for his novel published in 1971, which was made ino the 1973 movie. The novel was based on the true story of a 12 year old boy in Cottage City Maryland who became possessed in 1948 and was exorcised in 1949.

I was able to find an article online which details the 1949 story.

Part I - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html

I found the story to be quite interesting and wonder if Zodiac may have had knowledge of the original 1949 case and that is why he thought that the movie was "the best saterical comidy I have ever seen." Also, in the program, they showed the boy with welts that would arise on his body during the exorcisms. These welts looked similar to the marks which are at the bottom of the Exorcist letter, not in the arragement but just that the marks in the letter could signify the welts a possessed person might have.

In the program they said that after the boy was cured of his demons he went on to lead a normal life and eventually worked for NASA! I know some have opined a connection to the space program.
Last edited by Seagull on 4:52 AM - May 23, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Tahoe27
DOJ

7:57 PM - Jun 05, 2010 #2

Interesting. Thanks Seagull!
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

professornutbudder
Old Newbie

3:51 AM - Jun 07, 2010 #3

I read a book based on that case. It was told via the story of one of the priests involved. Very creepy circumstances indeed! I wouldn't be surprised to find out Z knew of this case. I imagine he read a few books on the occult, demons, or the like to come up with the views on the afterlife he wrote about. I have never believed he actually felt his victims would be his slaves in the afterlife, but I am pretty sure he came across a similar idea while reading some off the wall books.