The Demon of the Southwest Wind ; Tracking the Zodiac Killer

nordwind
DOJ

1:06 AM - Sep 13, 2015 #1

Once you've heard the truth everything else is just cheap whiskey.....R Lee Ermey

Seagull
DOJ

3:12 AM - Sep 13, 2015 #2

Wow! Dennis Kaufman published a book with Steven Dewhurst. Steve's mom is the only one to give a review and the book has been out for a couple of months!

Thanks for posting this Nordwind.

Tracers
DOJ

5:51 AM - Sep 13, 2015 #3

Dewhurst was/is some "tree professor" at some college, iirc.

He bought the Jack Tarrance zodiac book rights from Dennis in 2008 or so and they seemed to be getting along. Then Dennis said he found some film and had Dewhurst develop and examine the negatives. Dennis thought the pics showed the Black Dahlia murder. Dewhurst agreed to an extent, I think, but believed one or more pix showed the murder of a Rose Cole. Dennis disagreed. Dewhurst may have actually contacted Rose's parents and said he had pix of their daughter being killed and Jack did it?

Dennis accused Dewhurst of keeping some of the negatives. I think after that they parted ways.

I wonder if Dewhurst finally published the book without any further contact with Dennis since Dewhurst bought the rights?

I think Dewhurst paid $20,000-$40,000 for the book rights.

Tahoe27
DOJ

9:32 PM - Sep 13, 2015 #4

If he bought the rights to it, would he still have to credit Dennis or was that just a courtesy you think?
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

nordwind
DOJ

9:48 PM - Sep 13, 2015 #5

No problem Seagull.....
Once you've heard the truth everything else is just cheap whiskey.....R Lee Ermey

Paradice
DOJ

4:53 AM - Sep 15, 2015 #6

Wow, he actually paid Dennis for the publishing rights for JT's story?

Tracers
DOJ

8:34 PM - Sep 18, 2015 #7

yes! lol

http://www.jackcentral.org/news/profess ... a0fb6.html

Professor tracks Zodiac Killer

Throughout this year Steve Dewhurst, a forestry professor at NAU, has been helping the FBI with the Zodiac Killer case. Steve Dewhurst had submitted a theory to the FBI about the Zodiac Killer's identity but it wasn't until this year that the FBI had evidence corraborate the theory. - Nathaniel Morrissey/The Lumberjack

Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:00 am

For the past eight months, Steve Dewhurst, an associate professor of forestry at NAU, has been a key part in an investigation that might have uncovered the real identity of the infamous Zodiac Killer, along with several Flagstaff connections from the suspect’s past.

Until now, the Zodiac killer was believed to have killed as many as 37 people in northern California in the 1960s, and the San Francisco Police Department’s (SFPD) investigation of the killings have been left unsolved.

However, Dewhurst’s findings have identified the killer as J.W. Tarrance Jr., who had not previously been considered a suspect by the SFPD. Tarrance died in 2006 at the age of 78.

“This guy is the unexpected,” Dewhurst said. “The SFPD had it wrong. Neither the perpetrator or the crimes are what they thought they were.”

Dewhurst also found Tarrance had lived in Flagstaff twice, from 1993 to 1995, and in 1999. Dewhurst said the connections run even deeper.

“There are unsolved crimes from the Flagstaff area from the time that he was here that fit his M.O.,” Dewhurst said, referring to local crimes’ similarities to the Zodiac’s killings. “Initial analysis results show a very strong pattern to what he was doing. The circumstantial case is a virtual perfect fit between J.W. Tarrance Jr., the Zodiac crimes and a number of other unsolved homicides.”

The Zodiac Killer received his name from a series of letters he sent to various Bay Area newspapers that took responsibility for his recent murders. He signed each letter only with a symbol of the zodiac and told the newspapers to publish the letter on the front page, or else he would go on a killing rampage.

The circumstances surrounding the murders and the inability to come close to catching the killer have made the Zodiac one of the most famous serial killers in American history.

Dewhurst has been working alongside Dennis Kaufman, a painter from Sacramento who is also the stepson of Tarrance, and therefore had most of the alleged evidence in his possession.

Among this evidence was the executioner-style hood the Zodiac wore when he was carrying out some of his murders, a knife that seemed to have blood on it and 36 rolls of undeveloped film taken by Tarrance. Those pictures are believed to have dead bodies on them, a fact that would potentially associate the Zodiac with other unsolved crimes.

After these murders are solved, Dewhurst estimates the Zodiac will actually be connected to more than 100 crimes.

Other evidence includes military records, legal records and various personal documents found in a Flagstaff storage locker in 2000 that were a critical part in the investigation. All evidence has been turned over to the FBI, so they can try to substantiate the evidence with scientific proof.

“ has never seen anything like this before,” Dewhurst said.

Dewhurst became involved with the case when he was looking through his family history and discovered there was a death in the family, which might have been connected with Jack Tarrance.

Also, Dewhurst said he was drawn into the case by his fascination with spatial patterns, which in the case of the Zodiac would be the patterns in the locations of his killings.

“I was also interested in the geospatial features of the crimes,” Dewhurst said. “I study spatial patterns. I thought I could use my spatial analysis skills to help with the case.”

After looking more into the case for a few months, he decided to contact Kaufman, who had suspected his stepdad of being the Zodiac for eight years, to offer his assistance.

“ saw my Web site and he recognized Jack and got into touch with me,” Kaufman said. “He went with me to meet the FBI. He’s been helping me financially, and by collecting geographic maps.”

Dewhurst has also purchased the book rights from Kaufman and is currently writing his own, with the goal of completing it in the next few months. The book will detail the investigation and the new facts behind the Zodiac.

Dewhurst has been taking part in this case on his own time, independent of his job at NAU.

Lisa Nelson, NAU director of public affairs, who has also been in touch with the FBI, said NAU has had no involvement with this case.

“ investigations were not connected with his university responsibilities,” Nelson said.

Dewhurst said he knows suspicions of a hoax will be raised by these new discoveries, but he does not believe that is the case here.

“I think the chance of it being a hoax is very small,” Dewhurst said. “There’s too much evidence and it’s too consistent.”

Dewhurst and Kaufman said they are continuing to work together.

“There are a lot of unsolved homicides across the country,” Kaufman said. “We’re going to try to put stuff together and maybe solve some of them.”

Although nobody has ever been charged for the crimes of the Zodiac, the SFPD had long suspected Arthur Allen Leigh, a California school teacher, of being the killer. However, DNA tests cleared Leigh in 2002.

Tracers
DOJ

9:45 PM - Sep 18, 2015 #8

Tahoe27
DOJ

11:33 PM - Sep 18, 2015 #9

I honestly don't think I could read another book by someone who claims they know who Zodiac is. This is getting beyond ridiculous. While someone eventually may be right (we know they all think they are), I don't think they need to convince the general public. It borderlines an ego trip, imo.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Tracers
DOJ

10:52 PM - Oct 22, 2015 #10

so far only two Amazon reviews. One by his mother and the other by Harriette Sucher AKA Catseye.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Demon-Southwe ... 1943842477