March 24th, 2008, 7:27 am #31

There is very little known about him prior to his Unabomber activities which, in itself, is quite interesting.
If by little you are referring to info that might connect him to the Zodiac, I'd agree. But he's no man of mystery in my book. Ted has been thoroughly researched for years, by amateurs and professionals alike.
Not exactly in trying to connect him directly with the Zodiac... There are many, many gaps in the timeframe of his life, especially between the years when he left Berkley until his Unabomber days, but even gaps of time between the Unabomber events. He had a lot of time on his hands and he was secluded such that he could come and go barely without notice. I definitely think Kaczynski is a study in his own right, even outside the Zodiac affair.

Johnny5
DOJ

March 24th, 2008, 7:29 am #32

all very reasonable questions imho.like Bernie and Scott i dont believe Ted was z.with the amount of forensics that have effectively cleared him it surprises me anyone would still feel hes a viable suspect.i like Doug and i like reading his posts, but i will never understand why he continues to back the theory

March 24th, 2008, 8:07 am #33

The bottom line is that Ted would be a solid Zodiac candidate if one opts to believe that a large portion of the Zodiac evidence is null and void. Unfortunately, the latter is hardly the case.

March 24th, 2008, 10:28 am #34

If, as Doug has theorized, by the time Ted launched his Unabomber agenda and was reinvented, he no longer wanted to be associated with Zodiac activity, why in the world would he send a Zodiac letter in December 1990?
The December 1990 card has no signature, but appears to be from Zodiac based on the similarity to the Secret Pal card of Zodiac and that it was sent to the same paper as the one from Zodiac. My thoughts are that this really is a legitimate card from Z and (I have posted this before) am thinking that he was in a card shop one day and just happened to see this card, so similar to the old Halloween card, that it brought back memories of so long ago... He probably chuckled to himself, put the card back and then paused and thought "You know, I'm gonna have a little fun with this one," picked the card back up and walked away. With Zodiac's teasing, cryptic sense of humor, he thought that rather than put his crossed circle symbol at the end of the card - which, of course, would have immediately been thought to have been sent by the Zodiac, he left no sign/signature. In Kaczynski style, the real Z would have gotten a self-satisfying laugh, an ego-boosting chuckle or haunting allusion of past memories out of finding the "perfect" card and sending it (with a cryptic, tantalizing clue), just as a little reminder that he was "still with us."The similarity of the writing, coincidence of the stamp and being sent in close proximity to an event that Ted was interested in, is of high interest. Of course, if this truly is a Ted Kaczynski correspondence, he could just have easily been sending it as the "Unabomber" and letting the SF Chronicle know he was still with them - but then why the "Secret Pal" Card...

March 24th, 2008, 10:31 am #35

The bottom line is that Ted would be a solid Zodiac candidate if one opts to believe that a large portion of the Zodiac evidence is null and void. Unfortunately, the latter is hardly the case.
If the DNA would be compared, I would tend to agree, but until the DNA has ruled him out, the only other evidence that there seems to be would be the fingerprints - and I'm not convinced any really are that of Z and wouldn't rely on them to rule out anyone.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 24th, 2008, 7:04 pm #36

but until the DNA has ruled him out...
To believe Ted's DNA hasn't been compared to the Zodiac DNA is to assume everyone within law enforcement is dumb, incompetent, or just doesn't care. I've found no evidence that is the case. Ted's DNA is in the same database as Zodiac's DNA, and there was no match. Until evidence surfaces indicating Zodiac didn't lick his own stamps and envelopes, the likelihood is that the Zodiac DNA evidence in indeed from the Zodiac.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 24th, 2008, 7:05 pm #37

Linda, why are you claiming the DNA wasn't compared? What's your source for such a statement?

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 24th, 2008, 11:39 pm #38

I happen to know for a fact the California Department Of Justice has indeed been using the state crime lab in Sacramento to compare DNA of possible Zodiac suspects. Coupled with the DNA database, it's going to take some serious convincing if you expect us to believe that Ted has been somehow excluded from testing.

March 25th, 2008, 2:40 am #39

but until the DNA has ruled him out...
To believe Ted's DNA hasn't been compared to the Zodiac DNA is to assume everyone within law enforcement is dumb, incompetent, or just doesn't care. I've found no evidence that is the case. Ted's DNA is in the same database as Zodiac's DNA, and there was no match. Until evidence surfaces indicating Zodiac didn't lick his own stamps and envelopes, the likelihood is that the Zodiac DNA evidence in indeed from the Zodiac.
I totally agree with you that there is an extremely high likelihood that the DNA extracted from the Z materials is that of Zodiac. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Ted's DNA has not been tested; however, and for whatever reason, there has been no official reporting that it has been done... You will never make me believe that if Ted's DNA did not match, someone would be reporting this loudly... "No match on two high profile killers." In 2002 right after the airing of the ABC’s documentary on the DNA testing, I called and spoke with investigator Kelly Carroll. I asked him outright if Ted’s DNA would be tested. He was evasive and said that he couldn’t discuss an on-going investigation. I told him I was quite hopeful it would be tested, especially seeing that these were two high profile killers with many similarities and knowing the fact that Ted’s DNA was surely in the system. Since that time, hasn't the case been suspended and/or closed and yet there was no official reporting whatsoever on Kaczynski’s DNA… Without any official reporting on the comparison, there’s no way to concretely conclude that Ted’s DNA does not match.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 25th, 2008, 2:47 am #40

You will never make me believe that if Ted's DNA did not match, someone would be reporting this loudly... "No match on two high profile killers."
Linda, believe it or not, when a farfetched theory that few people know about (or even believe), is debunked, it's not considered news.