Steve Hodel on including or excluding victims in a serial killer's tally

CRIME
Discussion of crime (non-Zodiac) should be posted here
Eric
Eric

July 8th, 2018, 8:10 pm #11

I find that I need to evaluate my own beliefs at times. With the codes it is a common belief to verify a code it has to follow some set of rules. We do not get to make the rules if the zodiac already decided what the rules are and what methods need to be used to get solutions.

July 12th, 2018, 3:16 pm #12

Frosty-Uk wrote: Morning Zteve, there's potentially a few more parallels between Zodiac and Joseph DeAngelo (GSK) than I first realised.

Most suspected DeAngelo was in the Military as there was a base opposite the first clump of murders, the guy knew how to use a firearm, could jump 5ft fences effortlessly and he blended into a middle class society without anyone suspecting anything.  Then after all this time it turns out he was in the police force, the first red herring.

He didn't attack couples to begin with, just females until one newspaper suggested he wasn't capable of attacking men, so he changed his attack pattern and started targeting couples to show he could not only tackle men, he'd also make them listen to him raping their wives. (maybe a connection to the thought process behind Lake Berryessa, ie he always attacks in the dark, isn't capable of daylight attacks).

And finally DeAngelos worst attack was on a chap (name escapes me) who spoke up at the Town Hall on ways to stop him. I wonder if Stine simply made a passing comment about Zodiac at the wrong time and as a result got shot with no other motive than for Zodiac to keep his Ego intact and prove Stine wrong.

I think these guys were both very similar and wouldn't be shocked if the motives in the later murders were nothing other than Ego fuelled.
(sorry for the long post, tried to condense things).
How old was DeAngelo in 1969? Thanks

ZteveMcQueen
Old Newbie
ZteveMcQueen
Old Newbie

July 12th, 2018, 7:00 pm #13

Bolt wrote: You're saying Z carried a gun with him routinely?
It's certainly possible. I used to carry one every day after a relative got mixed up with drugs and some dangerous people. I still have a permit and occasionally carry if the circumstances warrant it. 

This isn't as unusual as some people think. I have lots of friends with permits, plenty of whom carry every day. I was at a church baseball game a few weeks ago sitting next to some friends who had a popup cover for shade. The wind suddenly started to lift it up and a friend jumped up to grab it. When he did his shirt pulled up enough that I could see a pistol sticking out of an inside waistband holster. Until that moment I had no idea he was strapped. I don't think anyone else even noticed it. There's a saying - "don't scare the horses" - meaning don't worry people by letting them know you've got a gun. If CCW holders are doing a good job with concealment you'll never know they're carrying.
Zodiac was a liar. There's no reason to assume anything he said was true.

Bolt
VPD

July 12th, 2018, 7:15 pm #14

ZteveMcQueen wrote:
Bolt wrote: You're saying Z carried a gun with him routinely?
It's certainly possible. I used to carry one every day after a relative got mixed up with drugs and some dangerous people. I still have a permit and occasionally carry if the circumstances warrant it. 

This isn't as unusual as some people think. I have lots of friends with permits, plenty of whom carry every day. I was at a church baseball game a few weeks ago sitting next to some friends who had a popup cover for shade. The wind suddenly started to lift it up and a friend jumped up to grab it. When he did his shirt pulled up enough that I could see a pistol sticking out of an inside waistband holster. Until that moment I had no idea he was strapped. I don't think anyone else even noticed it. There's a saying - "don't scare the horses" - meaning don't worry people by letting them know you've got a gun. If CCW holders are doing a good job with concealment you'll never know they're carrying.
Interesting. So if the Stine crime was spontaneous and not pre-meditated, he may not have driven by the Bullitt house after all. How would he have gotten away then?

Frosty-Uk

July 12th, 2018, 8:31 pm #15

bookah.ddiction wrote:
Frosty-Uk wrote: Morning Zteve, there's potentially a few more parallels between Zodiac and Joseph DeAngelo (GSK) than I first realised.

Most suspected DeAngelo was in the Military as there was a base opposite the first clump of murders, the guy knew how to use a firearm, could jump 5ft fences effortlessly and he blended into a middle class society without anyone suspecting anything.  Then after all this time it turns out he was in the police force, the first red herring.

He didn't attack couples to begin with, just females until one newspaper suggested he wasn't capable of attacking men, so he changed his attack pattern and started targeting couples to show he could not only tackle men, he'd also make them listen to him raping their wives. (maybe a connection to the thought process behind Lake Berryessa, ie he always attacks in the dark, isn't capable of daylight attacks).

And finally DeAngelos worst attack was on a chap (name escapes me) who spoke up at the Town Hall on ways to stop him. I wonder if Stine simply made a passing comment about Zodiac at the wrong time and as a result got shot with no other motive than for Zodiac to keep his Ego intact and prove Stine wrong.

I think these guys were both very similar and wouldn't be shocked if the motives in the later murders were nothing other than Ego fuelled.
(sorry for the long post, tried to condense things).
How old was DeAngelo in 1969? Thanks
23 - 24 years old.