Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

August 4th, 2018, 9:43 pm #11

My point is, it's all just anecdotal unless you do the research to show, empirically, how Gaik deviated from the norm, wherever he worked.

fxbby74
fxbby74

August 4th, 2018, 10:13 pm #12

Regal_Legal_Beagle wrote: My point is, it's all just anecdotal unless you do the research to show, empirically, how Gaik deviated from the norm, wherever he worked.
Great point , if I read correctly from earlier in this thread that they were told at the good times to mispell words from the publisher , so that would be normal to do so at the Good times . So any of the other writers could also be zodiac , even the publisher who ordered the mispelling maybe he was covering his own tracks ? Who ever gave that order liked misspelling words too .

Also going along with regals point if Gyke published misspelled articles at the knickerbocker , I’m sure you could find other published articles with misspellings by other authors as well . If his articles fell thru the cracks I’m sure other writings did as well .

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

August 4th, 2018, 10:18 pm #13

Former co-worker and best friend Bob Loomis has stated that Gaikowski was an extremely bad speller.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

August 4th, 2018, 10:19 pm #14

fxbby74
fxbby74

August 4th, 2018, 10:59 pm #15

So did MR loomis say if their were any other bad spellers ?

Was he the only bad speller at good times and the knickerbocker ?

To Regals point he basically had to be the only bad speller wherever he published .

Do we know anything about all the other writers ? Did They all had very good spelling ?

EddieBarsh92
Old Newbie
EddieBarsh92
Old Newbie

August 4th, 2018, 11:23 pm #16

Why would Loomis say if there were other bad spellers? He didn't work with Gaik. He worked at the Chron if I'm not mistaken?
Besides, you see Gaik consistently misspelling words and using weird punctuation and sentence structures at different papers and in private documents (such as the 1979 one Tom posted) which tells me as editor and a major contributor he probably had enough sway with the papers he worked for to be able to write the way he wanted to without it being edited. Just my own thoughts

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

August 4th, 2018, 11:27 pm #17

Loomis and Gaikowski worked together for a couple of years at the Martinez Morning-News Gazette. Plus they wrote letters to each other.

Misspelling a basic word (yess/yes) and then spelling it correctly in the same docuent is classic Zodiac.

EddieBarsh92
Old Newbie
EddieBarsh92
Old Newbie

August 4th, 2018, 11:41 pm #18

Gike also misspelled the city he had lived in for years: (San Franciso)
Zodiac did nearly the exact same thing: (Claif)

fxbby74
fxbby74

August 5th, 2018, 12:12 am #19

Well his spelling was brought up in some fashion , either asked about or offered up .

I thought that “Good times “ being written in the Zodiac works was one of the links ?  I would think that someone would want to know if their were other bad spellers their ?  Also I guess that everyone was ordered to misspell their . So no writers have been or can be singled out from the good times all of them are in play , you would have to look thru all the writers articles and see if their were any similarities to Zodiac .  That wasn’t done from the sound of it .

We don’t know if “ good times “ is a reference and not just a term that was used , that being said I would think some follow up would be in order to single out Gyke their as a potential Zodiac source .

We know he was a bad speller like millions of other people . We have no idea if anyone else wrote at good times and had “ potential coincidental “ writing that could match up to Zodiac . Not to speak for Regal but their was an extremely strong point made . At the end of the day what do we have a bad speller .

EddieBarsh92
Old Newbie
EddieBarsh92
Old Newbie

August 5th, 2018, 12:26 am #20

I can't speak for anyone else but I have read a couple other articles written by Mike Henry and a couple other contributors at the GTs and I never noticed any notable spelling or punctuation errors. I have read a few articles from other writers at the Knickerbocker, they were very well written. In any event, other contributors at those papers more than likely spelled correctly and used proper punctuation since they were writers, Gaik was more of an exception to that rule because its something he obviously enjoyed doing which is why I think publishers let him get away with it.