Someone writing as "Zodiac" in counter culture newspaper (not Good Times)... Looking for help

Still Q
DOJ

May 17th, 2018, 7:41 am #1

I mentioned this in another thread and not sure if this is the right spot for a new thread but here goes...

I have something to share regarding the first steps I took into reaserching another counter culture newspaper ( not Good Times) that has a online archive. Someone sporadically and anonymously wrote in it as; " Zodiac" The archive is extensive and I found a few examples of "Zodiac" writing... once, I recall, about a 'lettuce strike'. 

I did contact one of the editors and recieved a reply... this was a couple years ago. He claimed not to be the author or to have any recollection of anyone writing as Zodiac but said he'd forward my email to another editor/publisher... I didn't here anything from that person.

Just recently, after reading Michelle McNamara's book on The Golden State Killer - EAR/ONS, "I'll Be Gone In The Dark," I was reminded of the small things that get overlooked and was/am inspired by her amazing dedication to try... again... to reach out.

I've tried reaching out to a few people that I thought might be interested or have more time but to no avail.  I don't really have the time these days to give it attention that it deserves and was looking to share the email and info with a sincere and dedicated, long time, researcher. Since this would/will include my personal correspondence with a editor of the newspaper/names, I am not going to do that however, without speaking to said researcher first. 

Please respond with a PM, if that is you and you'd like to help.
Q.

Tahoe27
DOJ

May 17th, 2018, 4:01 pm #2

The Berkeley Barb?  ask-cat-t2638-s80.html

Scroll down to links provided by doranchak.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Still Q
DOJ

May 17th, 2018, 6:12 pm #3

No, not a Bay area paper. Different part of the country. I'd like to hand this off before naming it because of the correspondence I mentioned above.

Bolt
SFPD

May 17th, 2018, 6:33 pm #4

Leave the correspondence out of it - if it's an online archive just post the links.

Still Q
DOJ

May 17th, 2018, 6:51 pm #5

No, I think it would be better for a long time, sicere investigator with access to active le to get it first.

LauraK8
SFPD

May 17th, 2018, 9:24 pm #6

Q wrote:No, I think it would be better for a long time, sicere investigator with access to active le to get it first.
There’s no reason not to mention the periodical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe27
DOJ

May 18th, 2018, 12:23 am #7

What/who are you trying to protect at this point?
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Still Q
DOJ

May 18th, 2018, 6:08 am #8

I explained it pretty clearly, sorry if you can't accept it. The editor I already contacted is a known person in LA now and his colleague in NY. Before a legion of well intentioned slueths and/or the world of nutters can bombard either of them I want a actual "long time, sincere" researcher to go over it with me and hopefully do the time consuming work and share it then, again hopefully with le.
That is whom I intended the post for and was clear about that.
If the new dna solves it first great but a person writing as "Zodiac" and writing about things not related to astrology at the time Z was active and... said editor having no recollection... imo... warrants le looking at it.
If I knew whom to contact in le that would actually do the work, I'd call them myself but I don't, so hence the plee to the small group of long timers. 
My only motivation is that justice is served and the murderer caught, if living or exposed if not.

I-Love-You
I-Love-You

May 18th, 2018, 12:01 pm #9

So you think the Zodiac killer was just randomly sending letters to small town publications not in the SF area and signed them as "zodiac"....wouldn't it be more likely that some fan of the murders was just using the name?

Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

May 18th, 2018, 3:48 pm #10

Q wrote: I explained it pretty clearly, sorry if you can't accept it. The editor I already contacted is a known person in LA now and his colleague in NY. Before a legion of well intentioned slueths and/or the world of nutters can bombard either of them I want a actual "long time, sincere" researcher to go over it with me and hopefully do the time consuming work and share it then, again hopefully with le.
That is whom I intended the post for and was clear about that.
If the new dna solves it first great but a person writing as "Zodiac" and writing about things not related to astrology at the time Z was active and... said editor having no recollection... imo... warrants le looking at it.
If I knew whom to contact in le that would actually do the work, I'd call them myself but I don't, so hence the plee to the small group of long timers. 
My only motivation is that justice is served and the murderer caught, if living or exposed if not.
"Long time" and "sincere" aren't necessarily mutually inclusive, but you seem to have a few select people in mind that fit your idea of "long time, sincere," so, why don't you just PM them instead of doing an open post to pique everyone's curiosity?

If you've already PM'd your A-team and none have responded to you, you might need to be a little more open to help from others.

Also, why does the editor having no recollection seem important to you? I can't connect those dots.