Slip or Sarcasm

Sean
DOJ

May 24th, 2010, 8:47 am #1

Maybe something, maybe nothing, but I was just thinking last night about Zodiac's particular choice of phrase in this letter, he writes..... " I shall be happy to supply even more material" In context, isn't that "media speak"? Doesn't it sound like the author is either working in the Media and/or using a touch of sarcasm in responding to the newspaper who have asked for more details. He's "supplying more material" for a follow up story?Dunno, just thought it was a peculiar choice of phrase and somewhat out of context with the rest of the letter or rather betrays what he otherwiseseems to want to pass himself off as.In many ways I would align this statement with the type of wording usedin the Citizen letter and such things like "Expressing his consternation" and feigning concern for the "publics sensibilities".

May 24th, 2010, 9:25 am #2

Maybe something, maybe nothing, but I was just thinking last night about Zodiac's particular choice of phrase in this letter, he writes..... " I shall be happy to supply even more material" In context, isn't that "media speak"? Doesn't it sound like the author is either working in the Media and/or using a touch of sarcasm in responding to the newspaper who have asked for more details. He's "supplying more material" for a follow up story?Dunno, just thought it was a peculiar choice of phrase and somewhat out of context with the rest of the letter or rather betrays what he otherwiseseems to want to pass himself off as.In many ways I would align this statement with the type of wording usedin the Citizen letter and such things like "Expressing his consternation" and feigning concern for the "publics sensibilities".
It's weird but I was just re-reading the letter the other day and I thought the very same thing. I think in Zodiac's case, his choice of words will always betray him for who he was and what he intended. In this case, a member of the media, someone who was comfortable delivering information to many (say... a newspaper man and/or a writer)Wood
If Gyke Isn't Zodiac - I'll Eat My Hat

Paradice
DOJ

May 24th, 2010, 10:30 am #3

Before I knew anything about the case, I thought that Z intended to send something physical in the mail. Later, as we all know, he sent pieces of victim Paul Stine's shirt. I can only imagine what the newspapers thought they were getting themselves into when this letter first came.I see a double meaning with both the newspaper angle and the possibility that Z wanted to terrify people for doubting him. I think this was the real turning point in Z's letters. The first 3 are all detail oriented and methodical. At this point, Z starts calling himself Zodiac and his personality starts to come through in his letters. Interestingly enough, Z did supply physical evidence in the very next letter.

Sean
DOJ

May 24th, 2010, 12:03 pm #4

What really resonates with me is his choice of the word "material".For all intents and puropses you imagine he should be saying something like " I am happy to supply more proof". However in choosing the phrase it does imply to me at least, that he's speaking like an Editor ,Producer Journalist / reporter gathering "Material" for a story. Remember too when the Citizen letter arrives, he's no longer Zodiac (so to speak) and we are witnessing a huge improvement in style and vocabulary. At the same time, it isn't a genuine letter IMO, it's like a piss take coming from someone who's viewed many such letters.Nowithstanding the fact that he might be a really intelligent person, I thinkto speak in this way implies some insider understanding/connection.

Paradice
DOJ

May 24th, 2010, 4:16 pm #5

Although it is quite obvious that Z's "material" in this letter was simply details, I think it would be foolish to disregard the fact that he sent literal material (the fabric of Stine's shirt) in his very next letter. I agree with you that he is speaking the lingo one would expect to hear directed to a newspaper editor. I believe Z intentionally used the phrase to get attention; both from the editor and from LE when he later sent the piece of Stine's shirt.

November 8th, 2010, 11:57 pm #6

Even MORE "material."A hint or clue what he planned to do to verify his next murder-send material from something the vicitim wore?He had noted what Darlene was wearing to the fact it had a pattern as well as the kind of garment!

November 9th, 2010, 10:42 am #7

This whole 'I shall be happy to supply even more material' reminds me of what William Randolph Hearst said. 'You furnish the pictures. I'll furnish the war.'Wasn't another member of the Hearst family mentioned in a later letter, very possibly from Zodiac? Hmm.

November 10th, 2010, 1:40 am #8

Nach,That was the 2/14/74 SLA missive, and by stretchhhh impilcation as they had,as you know,kidnapped Patty Hearst.