Reverse images and other questions

March 9th, 2008, 1:08 am #1

My friend, Nin, had posted some high-resolution images of this letter in another thread, which appear to show reverse images.http://www.zodiackiller.com/DOZ1HR.html ... HR.htmlThe second and third pages clearly show the date 8/4/69 on the reverse side of the letter, which was the date the letter was received at the Vallejo Times Herald.Several questions come to mind:1. Were these images created by LE documenting the letter's receipt, an impression from the envelope or another source or perhaps even writing by Z himself on the back of the pages? The date on the 3rd page does resemble Z's handwriting, IMO. Would it be unusual for LE to write on the back of a piece of evidence like that?2. Why do we not have an envelope to view for this letter? It is the ONLY Z letter for which the envelope isn't available for view.3. Why do we not know when this was sent? It was postmarked from San Francisco yet the date of the postmark is "unknown". Was it perhaps just unreadable?4. Why was the end of this letter not initially included in photos of the letter? http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZLetter3.htmlFor what it's worth, Z DOES write on both sides of the paper on "page 7" of the six-page Bus Bomb letter:http://www.zodiackiller.com/BBL6HR.htmlI would presume that this letter would have been handled by Vallejo P.D. so perhaps it is just representative of how they handled evidence as opposed to SFPD but I do wonder if there is some missing information about this letter.

Eric M
SFPD

March 9th, 2008, 1:30 am #2

I think some of the early envelopes were kept by a detective in his personal files and later submitted for DNA analysis.
As Gram's younger sister, known as Little Avis, would later recall, “Things were mighty strange around the house.”

greygost
DOJ

March 9th, 2008, 8:59 pm #3

In response to a query from Deo on another thread:If the cops made any sort of notations outside of an identifying mark and date on the evidence, it would have been rotten and unprofessional procedure in any era. Your mark and date would have been needed for chain of custody purposes. You want to mark things up for comparison purposes, do it on a copy.

March 9th, 2008, 9:27 pm #4

Deoxys, you linked the 1st letter twice (instead of the 2nd letter)And for anyone in need of a great, !free! picture viewer that zooms, flips, etc I highly recommend Irfanview. I've got Photoshop CS but I still use Irfanview as my default viewer. The FBI files list 8/4/69 as being the date the San Francisco Examiner received and turned over their anonymously sent letter to the Vallejo Police Department.The first letter appears (to me) to say "7pm" at the top, "8/4/69" below that, and finally the initials "DN" below that. The next word appears to start with a p, maybe "please" but I don't see the top of the L.In the second letter, I can't make out the first part but the date looks again to be "8/4/69"The third letter looks again to say "DN" followed by the same date, "8/4/69"Presuming that the message took more than a to make it from placed in a mailbox to being opened at the Examiner, Z would either have had to post date whatever he was writing or else the dates came from somewhere else. I'm guessing the Police.I do wonder who "DN" (if that's an "N") might be (DOJ?) but until pan to leave that until I compile a personal list of all names and their associations with the Zodiac case. Hard for a newbie to wrap their head around those FBI files with so many missing names.

March 9th, 2008, 10:43 pm #5

Thanks, Zac, I fixed the link.Thanks for that info., Bernie. It seems that the reverse images on these letters are simply someone from Vallejo P.D. initialing and dating the back of the letters for chain of custody purposes. I suppose writing on the back would eliminate any chance of contaminating fingerprint evidence and there was no need to worry about contaminating DNA back then.

September 21st, 2008, 6:56 am #6

In answering my question about notations Peterson told me in writing there were detective notations on the front of the business envelope by the SAC police in which contained the "Want Zodiac" paste-up to the SAC Bee 12/10/69.

db
Old Newbie
db
Old Newbie

September 21st, 2008, 12:43 pm #7

Ha reading the letter I noticed something - Regarding taping the penlight to the pistol Zodiac states" The bullet will strike exactly in the center of the light" - well yeah - but only if you spend a little time calibrating it - if he just hurredly taped the light on the pistol and didn't shoot it to calibrate, or if he did shoot it but then bumped it out of line- no telling where the bullet would go if the penlight wasn't lined up properly - this sort of supports the many suggestions that Zodiac was not that knowledgeable about firearms

db
Old Newbie
db
Old Newbie

September 21st, 2008, 12:47 pm #8

If the letter was scanned with a high resolution scanner, the light from the scanner will be so bright it will bleed through the other side of the page or any other documents that might have been on top of the page when it was scanned. This is plainly obvious from the color photo that was linked in Deoxys post:http://www.zodiackiller.com/BBL6HR.html