Tahoe27
DOJ

April 24th, 2012, 3:37 am #31

The phone number 916-925-7339 WAS a working phone number in 1968. It was listed to an Allen S. White who resided at 2611 Norbert Way in N. Sacramento. He did indeed have a wife named Janet who, records indicate, was born on August 4, 1925.Sadly, she passed away February 12, 1988.
Wow! Thanks Tracers! I sure wonder if she was ever contacted in regards to that ad and a possible connection to Betty Lou Jensen.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Seagull
DOJ

April 24th, 2012, 4:42 am #32

The phone number 916-925-7339 WAS a working phone number in 1968. It was listed to an Allen S. White who resided at 2611 Norbert Way in N. Sacramento. He did indeed have a wife named Janet who, records indicate, was born on August 4, 1925.Sadly, she passed away February 12, 1988.
I helped Tracers a little with this. Once Tracers was able to find that the phone number belonged to Allen S. White in 1968 I was able to find a marriage record for him.California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 about Allen S White Name: Allen S White Age: 65 Est. Birth: abt 1900 Spouse Name: Janet A Haas Spouse Age: 39 Date: 20 Feb 1965 Location: Sacramento Mr. White passed away and Janet remarried to Halsey Taylor then in 1988 she also passed away.California Death Index, 1940-1997 about Janet Allyn Taylor Name: Janet Allyn Taylor[Janet Allyn Haas] Social Security #: 240580375 Sex: Female Birth Date: 4 Aug 1925 Birthplace: New York Death Date: 12 Feb 1988 Death Place: Los Angeles Mother's Maiden Name: McDonnell Father's Surname: Haas Just for the record!

Tahoe27
DOJ

April 24th, 2012, 6:56 am #33

Well that didn't take the both of you very long! Good job!
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Tracers
DOJ

April 24th, 2012, 6:58 am #34

Lafferty and crew found out about the ad in 1994.Lafferty says local police--I assume he means Vallejo--received a letter in 1983 with the ad in it. He says in 1994 he and whoever was working with him then could not find any information on the Janet White named in the ad, or the phone number.He doesn't say what the letter said--maybe he knows, maybe he doesn't.He probably thinks that since the ad was in VTH soon before the LHR attack, it may have been directed to Betty Lou Jensen. He also sees the December 10 date as significant as it is exactly one year before the December 10, 1960 date of Leona Robert's murder.Lafferty wrote that the ad "appeared directly under the 'Personals' section for Alcoholics Anonymous."His suspect was, according to Lafferty, a big shot in AA.So I bet LL thinks the ad being in or near AA personals section of the paper could be an indication the thing Betty Lou needed help with was Grant.A more plausible scenario, imo, is that Janet was with AA or something and was trying to reach a Betty Lou she might have met at an AA meeting. I don't think people use last names at AA meetings. Maybe all Janet knew was that a Betty Lou from Vallejo was going through some bad times and Janet reached out to Betty Lou the only way she could think of, a personal ad.I hope we can see a copy of the page the ad was on--if it was IN the AA section, then my hypothesis of Janet reaching out to an alcoholic makes more sense.In any case, i don't see any reason why a 43-ish old woman from Sacramento would be placing a personal ad in the paper for the teenage Betty Lou Jensen.

Tracers
DOJ

April 24th, 2012, 8:22 am #35

Hi-Here is another suggestion from a long time researcher: Check out the microfilm of the January 1969 paper to see if the person is STILL looking to help "Betty Lou." That might be revealing. The California State Library will send out copies of that microfilm. They used to do it all the time for me in NJ. Just put in an ILL request at your local library. I could do it myself but I will allow another motivated person do it! ;)Mike
Good idea, Mike! Dahlia also suggested looking in other CA papers' personals sections on Dec. 10, 1968, the rationale being that if Janet did not know exactly where her Betty Lou was from, Janet might place the same ad in a number of papers.I find it really astounding that Lafferty writes "Every attempt to track down the 'Janet White' by name or phone was fruitless, and the author of this strange missive could not be located."All I had to do was find a copy of a 1968 Sacramento phone book to get the name and address of Janet's husband. Then Seagull used her data bases and research skills to find Janet, her birth and death dates etc.You would think that Lafferty and his team of crack investigators being members of LE, Naval Intelligence, etc. could have at least figured out the phone number was real, belonged to a man named Allen S White from Sacramento, etc and then had someone do a records search to figure out Janet was real, even though dead in 1994.I guess for Lafferty and his team, researching means stealing your suspect's trash, following him around, striking up a social acquaintance with him, checking out "homo" rest stops, trying to get prints off fishbowls and infiltrating AA meetings! lolol

April 24th, 2012, 8:26 am #36

I guess for Lafferty and his team, researching means stealing your suspect's trash, following him around, striking up a social acquaintance with him, checking out "homo" rest stops, trying to get prints off fishbowls and infiltrating AA meetings! lolol
Hahahahahaha!!!
If Gyke Isn't Zodiac - I'll Eat My Hat

April 24th, 2012, 5:30 pm #37

Tracers wrote: "i don't see any reason why a 43-ish old woman from Sacramento would be placing a personal ad in the paper for the teenage Betty Lou Jensen."---------------------------------------------------------------------------ONE FACT: I still can't do quotes, so this way works.I agree with the above statement, and just want to add a couple of comments.We knew that Betty Lou Jensen was smoking, but an alcoholoc? I think that is a stretch.Also, I would like to hear other comments about this statement, but how do we know that the ad is referring to Betty Lou Jensen? Betty Lou was a common name?Does the author elaborate on that point? Tracers, Tahoe27, Seagull, you are excellent researchers and would love to hear from you.

PAUL
SFPD

April 24th, 2012, 6:51 pm #38

ONE FACT: I still can't do quotes, so this way works.
You have the double post thing down pat. Just kiddingI agree with you and Tracers... no reason for this 'woman' to be referring to Betty Lou Jensen. It's a very large stretch by LL, IMO.

Tracers
DOJ

April 24th, 2012, 8:59 pm #39

Thanks Trainmaster, but there was really no great researching here on my part. I went to eBay and searched for Sacramento phone books and found someone selling copies of the 1968 phonebook that they had scanned and then turned into a CD. I purchased that and stuck the CD in my computer when it arrived and looked under the last name White and found the phone number. Seagull took it from there.Just to clarify: Lafferty never says that this personal ad was definitely directed to Betty Lou Jensen. He does suggest it could be due to its appearance in the VTH so close to the time of the LHR attack and because the first date the ad ran was Dec. 10, 1968 and then exactly one year later Leona Roberts was murdered. Lafferty has other instances in his book where he sees possible anniversary date connections, most notably the erroneous one about Lass last being seen September 26.There's no way to know right now if that personal ad was in fact directed to a Betty Lou who was an alcoholic. I simply posted that as a plausible scenario based on where Lafferty said the ad appeared. Maybe Libby will receive an actual copy of the ad and then we'll know where the ad was placed.

libby
VPD

April 24th, 2012, 10:24 pm #40

I got a reply in the snail mail from the jfk library with a copy of the page with the ad!a note says that it ran on the 10th 11th 12th , not the 9th or the 12th!today is my birthday and I have company, I will try to upload it later today!