Parallels between Gyke and "Oscar" on old board

drew
DOJ

March 20th, 2010, 5:59 pm #1

Since Richard Gaikowski had an interest in online discussion forums as far back as the 1980s, I wondered about the possibility of a Zodiac suspect joining a Zodiac-related discussion forum and even participating in discussions. So I started going through one of the archived boards on this site and looked for postings that might have something in common or somehow relate to Richard.

I was pretty surprised to find a lot of parallels between Gyke and someone who went by the nickname "Oscar" on the archived forums. I am in no way suggesting they were one and the same, but the connections and even his comments about Zodiac's crimes really jumped out at me. Here are some of the more interesting ones...

Oscar wrote...
Your refutation of my original posting was based on the fact that I used Graysmith as "documentation". It is a SECONDARY source, not a PRIMARY source. Technically, even a detective is not a primary source on a case;he is analgous to the historian using evidence as a primary source to develop a thesis that will resolve a case. The detective can not be a primary source, as he/she was not present during the commission of the crime. Therefore, interviewing a detective, or reading their reports, constitutes usage of a secondary source.
Interesting that Oscar appears to have some type of writing/journalism background or experience like Richard.

Oscar wrote...
Yeah, sure. Zodiac wore a KKK outfit at LB, which is why he was able to 'blend' into the countryside so well. San Francisco and area was known for its rampant racial intolerance throughtout the turbulent sixties. In fact, Zodiac left a burning cross on Ferrin's front lawn, but the Vallejo police screwed the pooch on that one when the local captain took it home and used it for firewood (darn!). Paul Stine was a freedom rider.Therefore, he was targeted for death by an ultra-elite KKK hit squad run by Z, who just happened to need a cab that night after failing to find a solo Black Panther to lynch.
Come on! Get your head out of the glue-bag!
Oscar clearly does not care for Zodiac's costume being compared to a KKK outfit.

Oscar wrote...
Consider yourself flamed. Be thankful that I am capable of restraint.
Oscar the Vigilant.
p.s.: "Whent they kick at your front door
How you gonna' come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?"
Oscar and Gyke obviously shared an interest in punk bands.

Oscar wrote...
Speaking of speculation/theories etc., has anyone ever developed a theory that Z may have been a homosexual? I know there was some talk of this due to the fact that Z seemed incapable of killing male victims (sidebar- why is Farraday forgotten, or so it seems?), but I have not seen a real development of the idea. It would make for entertaining reading.
Interesting comment since Gyke was homosexual -- I wonder why Oscar thinks this would make for "entertaining reading."

Oscar wrote...
but would you prefer the alternative: total Gestapo-like powers afforded to the local, state, and federal authorities? Spout your nonsense when you hear the thunderous crunch of jackboots reverberating in your street.
Just one example of Oscar's anti-police sentiment.

Oscar wrote...
Despite the denials of the SFPD, he was actually stopped for a brief time by a patrol car who asked him for information.
Oscar seems pretty confident about this piece of information way back in 2001. He later allows that it may not have happened when he is challenged by Tom on this fact. Still made me wonder, though.

Oscar wrote...
Zodiac left his print(s) on the inside of Stine's cab.
How would Oscar know this piece of information? He states it as a fact rather than an assumption.

Oscar wrote...
This is not to say that he did not speak to his other victims as well; in fact, it is most likely that he had to say something to Stine. For all we know, Zodiac may have read bad poetry to his other victims. However, Zodiac never bothered to check whether or not his victims were silenced.
How would Oscar know this fact when both Faraday and Jensen were killed?!

Oscar wrote...
Pam,
In all seriousness I would suggest that you prrovide board members with access to your email account, in the event that Mageau occassionally visits the site. It is probably not the case, but if you have some serious questions for him, you may not want to show your hand. Will you be reporting on your meeting at some point in time? I, for one, would be very interested in hearing what happens.
Very odd, in my opinion, that Oscar wants access to Pam's email account regarding her contact with Mageau. Does he also sound a bit wary of Mageau? Notice the misspellings also.

Oscar wrote...
p.s. I met a guy who lived in San Francisco during the late 1960's. I would tell you his name, except he couldn't remember it himself
Hmm...I wonder who this guy was.
Last edited by drew on February 10th, 2013, 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

drew
DOJ

March 20th, 2010, 7:55 pm #2

Oscar also talked about several Zodiac-related coincidences that he personally experienced, although I have my doubts about several of them.

Oscar wrote...
A bar named, I kid you not, "The Zodiac Club" ("The Best in Nightly Entertainment"), opened up down the street from me a couple of years ago. The club closed after, once again, I kid you not, a shooting took place on the dance floor. Man!When this club opened up, I was just getting into the case and, when I saw the sign, with the grimly ironic promise of "nightly entertainment", I went screaming down the street like Aunt Jemima without hotcakes!!
I googled around, and the only incident I could find similar to his description (around same time) took place in Wichita, Kansas in 1997. Oscar claimed to have lived in Canada and possibly later in the United States( I think on the West Coast). He never mentioned anything about living in Kansas.
Last edited by drew on February 10th, 2013, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2010, 8:00 pm #3

I remember Oscar; he was a real weirdo and gave me some good laughs back in the day when I was still lurking around and reading the old boards. For instance:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/mba/zm/187.html

Looking at his IP now. It says he posted from Los Angeles.

Hmm.
Last edited by Nachtsider on February 10th, 2013, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

drew
DOJ

March 20th, 2010, 8:29 pm #4

I hadn't read that particular thread before, Nachtsider -- thanks for posting that. One thing I wonder about Oscar is that if he were so into the Zodiac case (claimed to own a stack of original newspaper clippings and to have visited all the crime scenes), why isn't he still posting on this forum?

judith
DOJ

March 20th, 2010, 8:33 pm #5

Looking at his IP now. It says he posted from Los Angeles.
He seems to have used numerous ips. Perhaps someone with better skills than I could find the locations of those various ips? Also the last date he actually posted would be helpful if comparing to Gaikowski.

Oscar did seem to have quite an interest in what witnesses/victims (Mageau/Johns) may have had to report:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/mba/opzv/203.html

2/10/01

"Tom,
Just curious. Does Johns keep up with the progress (or lack thereof) of the case, ala' Pam Huckaby? Does she visit your site?"

The quote re "...Or on the trigger of your gun?" rings a bell re something in one of the Good Time's editions, but I'm going to have to spend some time searching for that one.

Really intriguing direction drew, thank you for the thread. I'm looking forward to seeing where this might lead.
Last edited by judith on February 10th, 2013, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2010, 9:00 pm #6

I'm scouring the old threads at the moment, Judith, and can't seem to find any instance where he posted after 2001.
I hadn't read that particular thread before, Nachtsider -- thanks for posting that. One thing I wonder about Oscar is that if he were so into the Zodiac case (claimed to own a stack of original newspaper clippings and to have visited all the crime scenes), why isn't he still posting on this forum?
Ed Neil once said he got banned for being overly silly.

drew
DOJ

March 20th, 2010, 9:24 pm #7

Thanks, Judith. Oscar's request for access to Pam's email account is interesting since Pam actually did meet Richard at the time Ken Narlow had him under surveillance. Another thing is that Oscar sometimes displayed a rather dark brand of humor -- his joke about Paul Stine being "dispatched" by Zodiac brings to mind that weird letter directed to Stine's brother.
Last edited by drew on February 10th, 2013, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2010, 9:28 pm #8

Oscar also talked about several Zodiac-related coincidences that he personally experienced, although I have my doubts about several of them.

Oscar wrote...
A bar named, I kid you not, "The Zodiac Club" ("The Best in Nightly Entertainment"), opened up down the street from me a couple of years ago. The club closed after, once again, I kid you not, a shooting took place on the dance floor. Man!When this club opened up, I was just getting into the case and, when I saw the sign, with the grimly ironic promise of "nightly entertainment", I went screaming down the street like Aunt Jemima without hotcakes!!
I googled around, and the only incident I could find similar to his description (around same time) took place in Wichita, Kansas in 1997. Oscar claimed to have lived in Canada and possibly later in the United States( I think on the West Coast). He never mentioned anything about living in Kansas.

I found this ZODIAC CLUB located 1.4 miles (5 minnutes) from Richard Gaikowsks adress in San Francisco.

The club apparently opened in 1997, but I have no idea if a shooting ever took place at this club?:

U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 1
about Richard J Gaikowski
Name: Richard J Gaikowski
Birth Date: 14 Mar 1936
Phone Number: 824-8775
Address: 1035 Guerrero St, San Francisco, CA, 94110-2935 (1993)

Entity Name: ZODIAC CLUB, LLC
Entity Number: 199731710059
Date Filed: 11/13/1997
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Entity Address: 718 14TH STREET
Entity City, State, Zip: SAN FRANCISCO CA 94114
Agent for Service of Process: PETER GARCIA
Agent Address: 73 FAIR OAKS STREET
Agent City, State, Zip: SAN FRANCISCO CA 94110

This is the owner.

U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 1
about Peter Paul Garcia
Name: Peter Paul Garcia
Birth Date: 2 Jan 1966
Phone Number: 474-4592

Address: 26 E 81st St, New York, NY, 10028-0246
[3315 Steiner St Apt 4, San Francisco, CA, 94123-2722 (1993)]
[73 Fair Oaks St, San Francisco, CA, 94110-2208 (1995)]
Last edited by theforeigner on February 10th, 2013, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me :)

drew
DOJ

March 20th, 2010, 10:03 pm #9

Nice find, foreigner. So Gyke and Oscar both had a Zodiac Club open just down the street from them. Hmm.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 20th, 2010, 10:33 pm #10

I've been to the Zodiac Club, back in 2001 or so. It was in the Castro, where I would assume Gyke spent a fair amount of time after learning he was gay.In the image below, Gyke's residence is the red star at the bottom, and the Zodiac club is the red star at the top. To get to that club from his residence on foot, Gyke would have needed to make just one turn (on 14th Street):