NEW BOOK! "The Zodiac Killer Is My Father" (GENERAL COMMENTS/DISCUSSION)

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL OF ALLTHUMBS DOWN!!!
Discussion of this new Zodiac book by author Gary L. Stewart should be posted here
Joined: February 23rd, 2007, 11:25 pm

July 18th, 2014, 5:04 am #1201

Metalface Mark wrote:
sandy betts wrote:
I don't think glasses would be his disguise, because he had them on with clip on glasses over them at Lake Berryessa . So I think we can be pretty sure Zodiac had to wear glasses.

If anything, he changed his hair from curly brown hair to a reddish light brown crew cut. And he lost a heck of a lot of weight in only two weeks!
You cant see colour in the composites that were posted though - so the only thing he could do that makes him look like the composite I guess is wear glasses or change the length off his hair.





 

 





  Obviously though, we know he wasnt always the most trustworthy of people 
You are right you can’t see hair color in the composites, but if you “read the police reports” and read what  Bryan Hartnell told Bill White, it will describe his hair as brown and that Zodiac wore glasses under sun glasses .  Mike M. saw his hair and said it was brown and curly, he didn’t remember seeing glasses, but then he didn’t get a good look at the face.  SFPD said his hair was reddish brown but was in a crew cut, not curly.( The reddish brown hair could have been the lighting )that suspect wore glasses.





 

The “only” thing that was different ( Besides the weight and height )from the description given of the suspect at Lake Berryessa and the Stine suspect was the hair.





 

He was seen wearing two pairs of glasses at Lake Berryessa.  He had on a hood to hide his face, so why would he need to wear two pairs of glasses if he didn’t need glasses ?





 

Sun glasses would have been enough wouldn’t they ? The only reason to have regular glasses under sun glasses is he needed them to see.





 

He certainly didn’t have those glasses on to do any reading that day and he wouldn’t need them for a disguise at Lake B., the costume was enough of a disguise.





 

If you think or feel he didn’t need glasses, that is your prerogative. The fact remains he was seen wearing them when he didn’t need them for a disguise. The hair was changed though, from curly to a flat top.





 

 Have you ever seen the ads for The Hair Club For Men ? The before and after’s look very different , so did Zodiac by only having to change his hair.





  
Quote
Like
Share

BugsMoran
DOJ
Joined: April 18th, 2007, 7:25 pm

July 20th, 2014, 7:19 pm #1202

The book finally arrived and I read it during a two day rainy spell down here in South Carolina.  I'd have to say I enjoyed the work almost as much as I enjoyed Graysmith's yellow book. I did find a few things compelling: 1) Van Best friendship with Rick Marshall and Anton LaVey, 2) Van's playing Hammond organ with Bobby B, a member of the Manson's family, in the clubs of San Francisco and 3) Van essentially being swallowed up in Mexico anywhere from 1974 to 1984. I had always rather felt that the Zodiac had fled San Francisco around 1971 to escape the manhunt for him, and Van's search for old books & manuscripts would have been a good excuse for him to make himself scare without causing attention (if he were the Zodiac). I also feel that the Zodiac probably did die in the 70's and that's why he never made any more appearances (in the flesh or in print)

However, Gary Stewart leads the reader to believe that the police never checked his DNA with the Zodiac in order to protect the reputation of his biological mother's assistant mayor of San Francisco husband falls in there with all the other conspiracy theories of way the police never cracked the case. Members of this site have already discussed the fingerprints, the handwriting , the police sketch and Van Best's lack of bulk compared to the descriptions of the Zodiac. I can't really disagree with their negative assessments. 
Quote
Like
Share

BugsMoran
DOJ
Joined: April 18th, 2007, 7:25 pm

July 20th, 2014, 7:35 pm #1203

Two last things, sir: Gary Stewart writes about Earl Van Best Jr. driving up and down the Pacific Coast seeking out bookstores to buy and sell old books, manuscripts and documents. I think it would be a unique cover to have for a serial killer; for it would justify a nonstudent being on a college campus and it would explain the 'possible' wide geographical range of the Zodiac's activities (Riverside, Southern Cal, Las Vegas, Berryessa, San Francisco and such). It would allow a roving mass murderer a great deal of mobility...like a merchant marine or a truck driver. A nondescript man in glasses and scurrying around with a armload of weather-beaten literary treasures would be better than fiction.

Gary also mentions that Van would have been upset at Bryan Hartnell's description of the Zodiac seeming to be uneducated. However, elsewhere he claims that Van tried very hard to cultivate a refined English accent. I think Bryan was a very astute observer of the Zodiac's every movement and that if he states the Zodiac appeared to be not so intelligent, I think he's accurate. Van Best was far was unintelligent.
Quote
Like
Share

muter0
Old Newbie
muter0
Old Newbie
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 1:29 am

July 27th, 2014, 2:46 am #1204

BugsMoran wrote:
However, Gary Stewart leads the reader to believe that the police never checked his DNA with the Zodiac in order to protect the reputation of his biological mother's 
Is there a very good reason the SFPD isn't bothering to check the DNA of Van Best's son against the Zodiac's DNA? Also, I haven't been on the boards in a very long time -- is the best sample of the Zodiac's DNA on the envelopes that he licked and sent into the Chronicle? So if there is a good sample of the Zodiac's DNA...why don't they just exhume Van Best's body from his grave in Mexico City and test the DNA on him? Why bother testing Gary Stewart's DNA, although it being a half match to the Zodiac's (a "haplo" match) would certainly raise a LOT of questions? On the other hand, maybe the SFPD already have their reasons to believe that Stewart's theory is a dead end, which would make requesting a body be exhumed in another country and then testing the DNA an expensive proposition that may lead nowhere...?
Quote
Like
Share

EarlVanBestJR
Old Newbie
Joined: May 16th, 2015, 12:47 pm

July 10th, 2015, 5:18 am #1205

The SFPD have already made a comparison, and all 5 markers matched!!!
Quote
Like
Share

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner
Joined: February 21st, 2007, 4:35 am

July 10th, 2015, 5:20 am #1206

EarlVanBestJR wrote:
The SFPD have already made a comparison, and all 5 markers matched!!!
Post a source please. Links, names, etc.
Quote
Like
Share

Tahoe27
DOJ
Joined: March 5th, 2007, 6:45 pm

July 10th, 2015, 5:24 am #1207

EVBjr.,
You have now proved you are a dishonest man.  
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   
Quote
Like
Share

morf13
DOJ
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 5:29 pm

July 10th, 2015, 1:34 pm #1208

TomVoigt wrote:
EarlVanBestJR wrote:The SFPD have already made a comparison, and all 5 markers matched!!!
Post a source please. Links, names, etc.
Tom asks a legitimate, valid question, Gary, can you post proof of what you claim? I am sure your answer will be an insult, or a misspelling of my name,or telling me how your Book is a best seller again, yada yada yada. How about you show proof of your claims? Hopefully whatever proof you have is not as flawed as your handwriting 'evidence'
Quote
Like
Share

EarlVanBestJR
Old Newbie
Joined: May 16th, 2015, 12:47 pm

August 12th, 2015, 4:22 am #1209

New York Times Bestseller yet again?!! #7 in Crime and punishment! I bet yellow book wishes he could say the same! I won Tom!! Cha Ching!!!
Quote
Like
Share

Paradice
DOJ
Joined: March 9th, 2007, 12:44 pm

August 14th, 2015, 3:16 pm #1210

So, NO... he can't.
Quote
Like
Share