Joined: May 9th, 2017, 9:30 pm

January 2nd, 2018, 6:54 pm #11

It would be nice if Bryan Hartnell would help us out by giving a description since he is the only other eye witness.    
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 23rd, 2007, 11:25 pm

January 2nd, 2018, 7:57 pm #12

Hartnell gave a description the best that he could.  He didn't get a look at Zodiac's face  like Cecelia did before he put the costume on that covered his face completely . Cecelia was the one who was able to see the eye glasses under the clip on sun glasses. Other wise we wouldn't know that Zodiac did wear glasses. Thank goodness Hartnell was able to see the killers collar to his jacket. Somehow that has been over looked by everyone, making people think the costume was in one piece , when it was actually in two parts, just like what was put in my car! The hood made him look a few inches taller than he really was. I do believe that Zelms and Fouke got a very good look at Zodiac on Jackson St. I think that Kathleen Johns was the best witness of all, if she was a victim and I truly believe that she was. Isobel Watson also gave the same description. Toschi felt she was a victim of Zodiac. Zodiac stayed in touch with K Johns after her abduction, sending her a Halloween card and letting her know that he was watching her, he would also phone her.  He told her he knew she gave birth to another baby girl , proving to her that he was watching her. That is part of his taunting game that he enjoys so much, that many find hard to believe. No one knows what that is like, because it never happened to them.
Quote
Like
Share

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

January 8th, 2018, 3:17 pm #13

MADAMEX.zodiackiller.fr wrote: The Napa Composite Drawing:=12.0ptCecelia Shepard saw the Zodiac 15 minutes before he walked behind a tree and donned his black hood, which she described as a welder’s hood.  (Nick’s father was a welder.)  From that, she was able to give a description to County Deputy Sheriff Dave Collins.  According to Marsha Dorgan of the Napa Register, from that description, Collins was able to make a composite drawing.  He showed that drawing to three girls who were sunbathing. They recognized the man as someone who had been watching them and, later, gave a description to a professional artist who made the Napa Composite Drawing.  

On the other hand, police reports do not suggest that Collins made a sketch.  Rather, they suggest that the girls came forward after hearing about the crime that had occurred at Lake Berryessa.  They may have realized that it was the same man who had been watching them sunbath after hearing the description given to Collins by Cecelia.  

Regardless, the Napa Composite Drawing shows a strong resemblance to Nick.

The following is the article by Dorgan in the Napa Register:

Napa Register Article:

The following was taken from an article in the Napa Register.  It was written by Marsha Dorgan and published on February 24, 2007:

Sept. 1969, Napa County Deputy Sheriff Dave Collins was on routine patrol.  All that changed quickly, changing Collin’s life forever.

He was at Vichy Avenue and Monticello Road when the call came about a double stabbing at Lake Berryessa.  With red lights flashing and sirens wailing, Collins raced to the lake.  The wounded Pacific Union College students – Cecelia Shepard and Bryan Hartnell, both 20 – had been repeatedly stabbed and left to die on an isolated peninsula at the lake in an area called the Oaks, about a quarter-mile north of park headquarters on Knoxville Berryessa Road.  The couple had gone to the lake for a picnic.  Shepard first spotted a man watching them.  A short time later the man attacked the couple after demanding their car keys and money.  Collins and Deputy Ray Land, who had been in St. Helena, were the first to arrive after the call.

“When I got to the scene I found the kids critically injured.  Deputy Land went to help Bryan, and I tried to administer first aid to Cecelia,” he said.  Shepard had been stabbed five times in the back and five times in the front of her body.  “She was conscious, but going in and out of shock.  She was in terrific pain.  She kept asking me for something for the pain, but I didn’t have anything to give her,” Collins said.  “She was cold and shivering.  I got my uniform jacket from my car, wrapped it around her and then wrapped her in a blanket.  I held her.  She was very frightened and kept pleading with me not to leave her.”

Collins said he tried to be comforting but realized he needed to gather as much information about the crime as possible.

“I asked her, Who did this.  Did you know the person?” Collins said.  “She said, ‘no.’”

Although in shock and excruciating pain, Shepard did her best to tell Collins what happened.

She said she saw a man on the roadway watching them about 15 minutes before the attack.  “She said pretty soon he was within 50 to 75 feet of them.  There were trees separating them.  She said she looked up and he was gone.  The next thing she sees is him stepping out from behind a tree pulling an executioner-style hood over his head.  He started walking very fast toward them with a gun in his hand,” Collins said.

Shepard told Collins the man approached, ordered them to stay on the ground and said, “I’m an escaped convict from Montana.  I have a stolen car.  I want your car and money.  I’m going to Mexico.”

“’The kids said, ‘sure’ and put their money and car keys out there for him,” Collins said.

At that point, the killer pulled two pieces of clothes line about two and a half feet long out of his coat and told Shepard to tie up Hartnell.

When Hartnell was hog-tied, the killer used the other rope to hog-tie Shepard.

“He then put the gun in his holster and pulled a knife from the holster on his other hip,” Collins said.  “Cecelia said it looked like a homemade knife, about 11 or 12 inches long.  He started stabbing Bryan in the back until he pretended to be dead,” Collins said.  “When Cecelia realized he did not want to rob them, but kill them, she started screaming.  He turned on her and began stabbing her until she also pretended to be dead.  Then, he stopped and walked away.  Cecelia said he was calm and collected.”

The Zodiac Killer had parked his car next to the victim’s vehicle.  On their car door he wrote the sign of the Zodiac – a circle with a cross through it – as well as the dates of the Vallejo murders, the current date and time and the words “by knife.”

When he left, the kids managed to maneuver until they could untie each other.  “Bryan used his teeth to untie Cecelia.  Although they were in terrific pain and bleeding they were able to get free of the ropes,” Collins said.

“They started yelling for help.  There was a fisherman and his son fishing in a nearby cove.  The fisherman heard their cries for help but was leery, thinking they were trying to lure him to shore to rob him.  When the screams for help continued, he looked with his binoculars and could see they were injured.  But instead of going to them, he went to park headquarters and notified park rangers.”

Thinking they were abandoned, Hartnell tried to crawl to the road for help.  But he was too weak and only made it halfway.  That is where the ranger found him.

Collins said Shepard was the only victim able to give deputies a description of the Zodiac without his hood.

“She was incredible how she answered my questions while lying on this blanket in terrible pain and going in and out of shock.  We used her description of the man to make a composite drawing,” Collins said.  “Investigators canvassed the area with the drawing and found three young women in the same general area who were sunbathing.  They said they saw the same man looking at them and acting suspicious about an hour before he attacked Shepard and Hartnell.  They said for some reason he just up and left.  They were three lucky girls.”  (A second composite drawing was made from a description given by the three girls.)

The ambulance arrived and took the wounded couple to the Queen.  By this time, Shepard was unconscious.  Hartnell survived.  Shepard, who never regained consciousness, died two days later.

Collin’s 2007 Video Interview:

In the video interview with Deputy Sheriff Dave Collins, he said:

Collins – Cecelia said, “I saw this guy.  He was coming down the hillside and he seemed to stop and watch us.  He was looking at us … Pretty soon, he was within 75’ away … he stepped behind a tree.”

Interviewer – Why doesn’t anyone know that she had seen his face … why is that unknown?

Collins – I didn’t report it.

Interviewer – Why didn’t you report it?

Collins – You know, at the time, I didn’t think it was important. 
Thank you for this very clear message and accompanying article. This is the first time I've read that Cecelia was lucid enough to give a description. WHY DON'T WE HAVE THAT DESCRIPTION VERBATIM? Really! Are LE folks still keeping this one under their vests? Somebody in the P. Dept of the Lake Berryessa area needs to get this out from the dusty files. Also, not all of us know every character in this drama so please tell me who Nick is and whio his welder dad was. Thanks
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 9th, 2017, 9:30 pm

January 8th, 2018, 9:54 pm #14

v,

Thank you for reading the information I posted!!  I am glad that you found it informative!!  Wouldn't it be great if we did have Cecelia's description verbatim or if we could talk to Collins about it!!  Nick Nevarez (pseudonym) is my ex husband and Zodiac suspect.  I have been trying for years to get LE involved and finally wound up writing a book about him, "Zodiac 37."  (You can find my book on amazon.com or you can go to my web site at Zodiac37.com to learn more!!)  
Quote
Like
Share

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

January 8th, 2018, 10:04 pm #15

Zoni-13 wrote:
sandy betts wrote: Absolutely and positively, Cecelia never mentioned that the hood looked anything like a welders hood. The best description of the hood , (not the bottom half of the costume),  was that it looked like a "paper sack". A flat square at the top with four corners. Hartnell also mentioned that he could see the killers jacket collar.  The only way he would be able to see that collar, is if the hood was not attached to the poncho part of the costume. Exactly like the one that was put in my brown car in Napa on Sept 28th or 29th 1969. If everyone would read" all of the police reports" plus the side notes , they would not be confused.

 
Hi S.B.,
 How do you suppose he managed to keep a paper sack on his head while violently stabbing two people? Was there tape on the sack you found in your car? Unless he was part giraffe it must have been held on, in some way. Any thoughts? Thanx.
That is an interesting question. I have farm animals and in winter I have to go out there to feed whether I like it or not. I have a jacket with a hood that isn't tight, I beg to say it's NOT like Z's but it;'s not head tight. So when I turn I'm looking at the inside of the hood. That's when I remember to pull it tight. So it's a very good question as to how Z. could turn left or right without staring at the inside of the hood.
Quote
Like
Share

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

January 8th, 2018, 10:06 pm #16

Zoni-13 wrote:
sandy betts wrote: Absolutely and positively, Cecelia never mentioned that the hood looked anything like a welders hood. The best description of the hood , (not the bottom half of the costume),  was that it looked like a "paper sack". A flat square at the top with four corners. Hartnell also mentioned that he could see the killers jacket collar.  The only way he would be able to see that collar, is if the hood was not attached to the poncho part of the costume. Exactly like the one that was put in my brown car in Napa on Sept 28th or 29th 1969. If everyone would read" all of the police reports" plus the side notes , they would not be confused.

 
Hi S.B.,
 How do you suppose he managed to keep a paper sack on his head while violently stabbing two people? Was there tape on the sack you found in your car? Unless he was part giraffe it must have been held on, in some way. Any thoughts? Thanx.
sandy betts: Sorry that this comes out from left field but not all of us have read this blog from Day 1. What was left in your car? Thanks
Quote
Like
Share

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

January 8th, 2018, 10:10 pm #17

sandy betts wrote: There is a Sandy thread where some of my story is written, spare yourself the time of reading from the start. Go to about page 29 and read from there. I used a model to wear a copy of what the actual costume looked like. That is not the Zodiac wearing the costume in the video! The voice is that of my Zodiac suspect , saying "I like your voice baby , bye bye to you too".
It wasn't just a sack that was put in my car, the whole costume was put there, along with several other things belonging to who I am very sure had to be the Zodiac.
This is the answer to my question of one minute ago, i.e. what is your story? Go to Discussions, look for Sandy Betts?
Quote
Like
Share

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

January 8th, 2018, 10:11 pm #18

MADAMEX.zodiackiller.fr wrote: v,

Thank you for reading the information I posted!!  I am glad that you found it informative!!  Wouldn't it be great if we did have Cecelia's description verbatim or if we could talk to Collins about it!!  Nick Nevarez (pseudonym) is my ex husband and Zodiac suspect.  I have been trying for years to get LE involved and finally wound up writing a book about him, "Zodiac 37."  (You can find my book on amazon.com or you can go to my web site at Zodiac37.com to learn more!!)  
Skippin over to Amazon now...
Quote
Like
Share

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

January 8th, 2018, 10:12 pm #19

v wrote:
MADAMEX.zodiackiller.fr wrote: v,

Thank you for reading the information I posted!!  I am glad that you found it informative!!  Wouldn't it be great if we did have Cecelia's description verbatim or if we could talk to Collins about it!!  Nick Nevarez (pseudonym) is my ex husband and Zodiac suspect.  I have been trying for years to get LE involved and finally wound up writing a book about him, "Zodiac 37."  (You can find my book on amazon.com or you can go to my web site at Zodiac37.com to learn more!!)  
Skippin over to Amazon now...
OUCH. Can't afford that.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 9th, 2017, 9:30 pm

January 8th, 2018, 10:26 pm #20

v wrote:
v wrote:
MADAMEX.zodiackiller.fr wrote: v,

Thank you for reading the information I posted!!  I am glad that you found it informative!!  Wouldn't it be great if we did have Cecelia's description verbatim or if we could talk to Collins about it!!  Nick Nevarez (pseudonym) is my ex husband and Zodiac suspect.  I have been trying for years to get LE involved and finally wound up writing a book about him, "Zodiac 37."  (You can find my book on amazon.com or you can go to my web site at Zodiac37.com to learn more!!)  
Skippin over to Amazon now...
OUCH. Can't afford that.
v, the book contains 840 pages and is the lowest price that amazon can charge for a book that size.  The first part is about my ex growing up and how I believe he became a serial killer.  The second part is based on all of the Zodiac police reports and my theories. 
Quote
Like
Share