MY RECENT VISIT TO THE VALLEJO POLICE DEPARTMENT: BEHIND THE SCENES, BY TOM VOIGT OF ZODIACKILLER.COM

Discussion of the Zodiac TV mini-series "The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer" should be posted here

MY RECENT VISIT TO THE VALLEJO POLICE DEPARTMENT: BEHIND THE SCENES, BY TOM VOIGT OF ZODIACKILLER.COM

TomVoigt
Site Owner

30 Sep 2017, 22:08 #1

evps.jpg

MY RECENT VISIT TO THE VALLEJO POLICE DEPARTMENT: BEHIND THE SCENES
BY TOM VOIGT, SITE OWNER OF ZODIACKILLER.COM

(Scroll down for exclusive pics and video -- make sure your audio is on for the videos.)

Vallejo, Calif. is ground zero for hunting the Zodiac. And while the TV series "The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer" on History didn't get access, I did, and I'm more than happy to share.

In early September 2017, at the request of Detective Terry Poyser of the Vallejo Police Dept., I was invited within the department walls all the way to the evidence area. (This was my third such experience; the first happened at the San Francisco Hall Of Justice in late 1998, then a couple of months later, the Napa County Sheriff's Dept. At both San Francisco and Napa, I was allowed to copy crime scene photos, police reports, and pages and pages of Zodiac correspondences none of which had ever been reproduced for the public. And I then shared everything right here at Zodiackiller.com.)

In Vallejo, among other intriguing tasks, I was asked to help rummage through all of the many "Zodiac boxes" collected by the department over the last four-plus decades, a mixture of all things Zodiac. Needless to say, it was a thrilling experience. (Poyser is a smart guy and knows that a Zodiac nerd like me, who has spent 25 years focused on a single case, might be able to spot something potentially significant that normal people who have a normal life -- and/or a tremendous, never-ending caseload as Poyser does -- wouldn't ever recognize. I think he's right!)

Some of what I saw in those boxes was hilarious ("My name is...SIDNEY POITIER" -- more on that later), some was purely kooky, and some was outright spooky. There definitely could have been something from the Zodiac himself in those boxes; it's my belief he wrote to the police under a different moniker offering "help" and I saw several possible examples in those boxes that I'd like to explore further soon. 

Once Poyser put on a pair of gloves (not the blue/purple kind like on Forensic Files, unfortunately) I knew it was about to get real, especially when he covered the viewing table with protective paper. Then happened the unpackaging of the original ciphers and other amazing pieces of evidence!

I can say there are pages upon pages of original Zodiac police reports that have never been made public, as well as intriguing suspects I had never heard of. And of course, the vintage correspondences that could very well be from the Zodiac. I know, because I was fortunate enough to see.

Check out the pics and videos below (make sure to turn audio on) and I will answer questions and hopefully add more pics/video as soon as possible.

All of this is because of Det. Poyser and I can't thank him enough.

EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS (TURN ON SPEAKERS):

Below: By looking on the back of the paper, it was discovered that Zodiac used a second pen of a different color to create his three-part cipher:

Below: Perfectly preserved cipher portion:

Below: The GYKE section of the code was definitely sent to the San Francisco Examiner and not the Chronicle:

Below: Was Zodiac the "CONCERNED CITIZEN?" (The good stuff begins at 0:25):

Below: We had some laughs, too:

(For the record, I do not believe the Zodiac was actor Sidney Poitier, as a proposed cipher solution suggested.)
spmb.jpg

EXCLUSIVE PICS:

Below: Boxes and boxes of Zodiac materials for me to browse, collected by police over decades:

evidence2.jpg

Below: I saw pages and pages of original, vintage police reports never seen outside police headquarters:

newprmb.jpg
Below: "New" suspects galore, including this guy who ironically shares his name with the husband of a Zodiac victim:

6mb.jpg
Below: An anonymous "solution" to Zodiac's "My name is..." cipher. But who sent it? And why?:

8mb.jpg
More boxes and boxes of Zodiac materials:

1mb.jpg
Below: The real deal. Yes, three original Zodiac ciphers in total:

10mb.jpg

Uncle Sporkums
Old Newbie

01 Oct 2017, 00:06 #2

WOOOOW! Great stuff regarding the likely connection between the two "Concerned Citizen" letters, as well as the fingerprint! The "Phillips" suspect does look a little intriguing, but I'm certain that the police must have written him off after some minor investigation. Again, AMAZING stuff, Tom and keep us posted for any more updates!

morf13
DOJ

01 Oct 2017, 01:30 #3

Tom, this is awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing it all, you had to feel like a kid in a candy store! We had a great time discussing this with you the other night for our podcast Criminology, and excited to put out the episode with you in the next few weeks. 

sandy betts
DOJ

01 Oct 2017, 02:39 #4

I can't get over just how many different looks that Jim Phillips had. His graduation picture that I have, had the crew cut and horn rim glasses, that we know Z had at one time. Then he has the straight brown hair parted on the left like the Lake B composite.
When I saw him in Santa Cruz late 90's , he had reddish blond curly long hair and was dressed like a ole hippie. I would like to see one picture when he had the beard that Darlene said he had at one time.
Great stuff in those boxes ! If you should see anything with the name Donald  P Porter , look at it very carefully. He is the one who told me that Toni Anstey was pushing up daisies up north, long before she was found dead. I believe Don's room mate in Vallejo, was the Honcho who went with Darlene and Jim to the Virgin Islands. Don knew Dee very well. Honcho could be the person that Darlene said she saw kill someone.I still believe that Darlene is the key to the Zodiac case.

TomVoigt
Site Owner

01 Oct 2017, 02:41 #5

sandy betts wrote: I can't get over just how many different looks that Jim Phillips had. 
Different guy pictured above, not Darlene's ex-husband.

Tahoe27
DOJ

01 Oct 2017, 03:54 #6

I'm so jealous!!  Thank you for sharing this Tom!!
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple" Dr. Suess   

sandy betts
DOJ

01 Oct 2017, 04:06 #7

Really a different guy? He has Jim's fish lips! Who is that guy if it wasn't Jim? I do know that they had found some other Jim Phillips who was a different age , but then found the correct one.
That telegram above is about the correct Jim Phillips right? I have a letter that has almost the same words that are on that telegram from one detective to another about the Stine shooting and picking up Jim Phillips. As soon as they knew that Stine was shot by Zodiac, they issued a arrest for Jim.

bamonson

01 Oct 2017, 15:44 #8

Sidney Poitier?  WTF?

Uncle Sporkums
Old Newbie

01 Oct 2017, 16:23 #9

Most likely an inaccurate attempt to decode the message.

sandy betts
DOJ

01 Oct 2017, 17:29 #10

Uncle Sporkums wrote: Most likely an inaccurate attempt to decode the message.
Most of the solutions that I have seen, the symbols are changed to fit what the person wants the cypher to say. You can't do that and get the correct solution period! I used the solved cypher's as my Rosetta Stone and came up with a name in two cypher's.
However the 340 had some new symbols added ,that makes it much harder to solve. I think that the first three letters "HER" are a huge clue to the killers last name and had nothing to do with Herb Caen. I also think that Zodiac got his idea of sending cypher's from the movie "My Secret Weapon", where the first 3 cypher's were broken , the 4th was much harder, because it had to be read in mirror. The 340 could also be in another language or Zodiac just wanted to frustrate everyone and it tells us nothing.
I am looking forward to Tom finding something in those boxes that has been over looked. Like more Zodiac letters, or a trinket that belonged to a victim. It wouldn't surprise me to know that there are still some letters to be found at the SF Chronicle! I have seen a full Z box there , but didn't ask to look through it.

I would wear gloves just in case there is a true Z letter in that box. I had a bit of a cringe when I saw the bare hands in the video.