My Name Is Cypher finally solved, this time for real!

sucamela

May 22nd, 2014, 3:41 am #1

Hi

Sorry in advance for my bad English.

Tonight I think  I solved the "my name is" cypher. The key to resolve the puzzle

is the word "cerous" which is mispelled inside the text message.

The first puzzle is a sositution based on aplhanumeric characters table.

It decrypts to "Z DECRYPT ID JFK".

The second puzzle is a transposition based on the character previous

association.

The solution is a pattern meaning "AYE Z! MY MAN = KEN"

It is the name, not the surname, but it is something. It could be Ken, Kenny, Kenneth.

As attachment, my proof of concept.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img834/3467/6eati.jpg
Last edited by sucamela on May 26th, 2014, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nin
DOJ

May 22nd, 2014, 12:17 pm #2

rgod wrote:
Hi
I am a security professional from Italy, of Nine Situations Group.
Sorry in advance for my bad English.

Tonight I solved the "my name is" cypher. The key to resolve the puzzle
is the word "cerous" which is mispelled inside the text message.

The first puzzle is a sositution based on aplhanumeric characters table.
It decrypts to "Z DECRYPT ID JFK".

The second puzzle is a transposition based on the character previous
association.

The solution is a pattern meaning "AYE Z! MY MAN = KEN"

It is the name, not the surname, but it is something. It could be Ken, Kenny, Kenneth.

As attachment, my proof of concept.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img834/3467/6eati.jpg
I like your creativity. In the end it's just that - creative. You went from a transposition - with an assumed password- to an anagram, to a rearrangement according to letter and symbol positions in the original cypher. On the way you assigned a P , a J and an 8 to the Zodiac symbol, the "anchor" and the "eights / Taurus" symbol. Finally solved? I think not. However, the idea was nice. If the initial transposition had led to a true message, I would have said you solved it. But then, we will never know what the symbols actually mean, if anything.

Best,

Nin

sucamela

May 22nd, 2014, 2:01 pm #3

mmm, I am really really sure about the solution. The DJFCD KRZY ITP (reads DFECTED CRAZY TIP) seems a cypher handshake. Which means "you received the ok, go on". This trick is very used in computer security, I have to say this, I was expecting to find DECRYPTED in clear text at a certain point, but it was DECRYPT ID.

I was rethinking the meaning of the last message. Can I ask you a question? In English does "MY MAN KEN" can mean "MY FRIEND KEN"?
Last edited by sucamela on May 26th, 2014, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sucamela

May 22nd, 2014, 2:12 pm #4

Also did you notice that "MILDLY CEROUS" contains the letters of "LOUIS MYERS", it is *nearly* an anagram. It is like is saying "I AM LOUIS MYERS, ME AND MY FRIEND KEN DID THIS TOGETHER". The question is, did LOUIS MYERS had a friend named KEN?

Nin
DOJ

May 22nd, 2014, 2:48 pm #5

rgod wrote:
mmm, I am really really sure about the solution. The DJFCD KRZY ITP (reads DFECTED CRAZY TIP) seems a cypher handshake. Which means "you received the ok, go on". This trick is very used in computer security, I have to say this, I was expecting to find DECRYPTED in clear text at a certain point, but it was DECRYPT ID.

I was rethinking the meaning of the last message. Can I ask you a question? In English does "MY MAN KEN" can mean "MY FRIEND KEN"? I'm asking because I'm Italian.
The "handshake" would refer to a cryptographic computer protocol, which was unknown back then. I am not aware of "handshakes" in cryptography, only of layers perhaps. That would be very sophisticated and Zodiac would have almost had some kind of cryptograpic background. I am not too impressed on how he constructed the 408.

The expression "MY MAN" can refer to the "MAN" as being a friend, yes. Similar when someone says "THAT'S MY MAN", meaning job well done as expected.

-Nin

sucamela

May 22nd, 2014, 2:51 pm #6

Another thing I want to say: the author of this encryption scheme is/was a kid. I know because when I was a kid I liked puzzles, anagrams an so on. Then when I became older I became to understand RSA/DES, MD5/SHA1 salted hashes.

Then this is a kid's stuff. No complex numerology. This is stuff that one learns at the elementary schools. I age him on 16/17.

I used the word "handshake", because like in cypher protocols the handshake is a packet which says "OK, WE ARE UNDERSTANDING EACH OTHER, GO ON". No mean it did not exists at the time, someone teached some stuff to this kid, then it became to evolve and to use the only thing he was good for. Anagrams and killings.
Last edited by sucamela on May 26th, 2014, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nin
DOJ

May 22nd, 2014, 2:56 pm #7

rgod wrote:
Also did you notice that "MILDLY CEROUS" contains the letters of "LOUIS MYERS", it is *nearly* an anagram. It is like is saying "I AM LOUIS MYERS, ME AND MY FRIEND KEN DID THIS TOGETHER". The question is, did LOUIS MYERS had a friend named KEN?
Do you really think Zodiac would have encrypted his real name? And he would have provided us with the name of his assumed accomplice?
He could not have possibly known if and when his cipher would be cracked. Any solution is unprovable when it comes to this very short cipher product due to symbol uncertainty. That simple.

-Nin

sucamela

May 22nd, 2014, 3:05 pm #8

Last edited by sucamela on May 26th, 2014, 4:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Nin
DOJ

May 22nd, 2014, 3:25 pm #9

rgod wrote:
If you ask to me, I say, he anagrammed is name in "MILDLY CEROUS" because no one could notice this until his identity was discovered. No one can decrypt this, believe me. He wanted only the thrill.
Because this is what a kid does, he does stupid things.
  I could see that. But then again, your solution is possible, but not provable.

-Nin

sucamela

May 22nd, 2014, 3:34 pm #10

However, I have my idea. I have my profile. I posted this because I wanted to discuss it with someone else. Two heads think better then one.
I cannot do the investigation and facts-checking a the moment, I live in Italy so this is a huge problem.