"my car was brown"

Tahoe27
DOJ

June 27th, 2008, 4:50 pm #1

Just curious...

Zodiac mentions, "The man that told police my car was brown was a negro about 40-45 rather shabbly dressed."

--Why would he assume it was this person who told the police this and not Mike?

--Is there record of this person contacting the VPD and telling them "his car was brown" and if so, how did Zodiac know about it?

--Or, is Zodiac full of crap and was just trying to make it seem like he was seen in a brown car, when in fact it was not brown at all?
Last edited by Tahoe27 on January 25th, 2013, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

June 27th, 2008, 5:28 pm #2

I always assumed it was because he knew that MM probably couldn't see his car given how he pulled up and how the couple were positioned in the car and how he left them. He was obviously also aware that the guy at the phone booth definitely saw him.

eastcoast
DOJ

June 27th, 2008, 6:19 pm #3

This line appears in the first Zodiac letter.(i.e. where he calls himself Zodiac)My question is, is it a known fact that a Negro male told police the person at the phone booth was driving a brown car ?Possible explainations are:1.) the Negro male was the only person around, and when the phone rang that person looked directly at Z. So Z just assumes that person told the police2.) Z was really driving a brown car but the info was not released to the public, therefore Z had inside information3.) Z was not driving a brown car and is trying to create a red herring.I can't see why Z would admit to driving a brown car if he really was, however, in an effort to create auththenticity Z confirms what he believes LE already knows. Its created not by admitting he has a brown car, but rather by identifying the person who told it to the cops.Its almost like Z has an ulterior motive here.

June 27th, 2008, 6:30 pm #4

MM did in fact state that the car was brown, as you all probably already know..

June 27th, 2008, 7:47 pm #5

Lawrence Kane ,a long time Zodic suspect drove a light brown AMC Ambassador,from ithe information that I came across.

June 28th, 2008, 4:33 am #6

A Rambler for a getaway car, now that is a bold move.

SKYVIEW
Old Newbie
SKYVIEW
Old Newbie

September 1st, 2009, 5:43 pm #7

has anyone ever talked to the negro male who saw Z's car since that night, i mean do we know who he is ?

September 1st, 2009, 8:48 pm #8

"Or, is Zodiac full of crap and was just trying to make it seem like he was seen in a brown car, when in fact it was not brown at all?"I believe so

September 10th, 2009, 4:42 pm #9

Or was he trying to add to his verification campaign?I did make that call to the VPD.This was when I gave information about the couple being shot and had 'some fun with a Vallejo cop'(more proof as he knew she would confirm the- in his mind -the funny "good bye").That "negro"(why give his race and age estimate if he were not trying to verify?) did see me at the booth in question from where I made my call.He must have thought this man was a witness and was trying to use him as further proof?Other side of issue-but why did he focus on his car's color?Would not an ID as to what he looked like be more important? Why give a description of the witness?Z wrote of the phone ringing after he hung it up.This made him angry.He left the phone hanging at LB.Lesson learned?Proof it was him and he did make the call from that booth?In the Confession the writer (and later verified by the FBI report)says he 'made that call to the PD' to add to his proof it was him.I don't think we have all of the answers to this one as of yet.Z seemed more than eager even "happy"to give details of his crimes in his letter of August 2(?).He wanted them to know it was him by giving details that 'only he and the police knew.'

Roxy
Old Newbie
Roxy
Old Newbie

March 31st, 2010, 5:23 am #10

1.) the Negro male was the only person around, and when the phone rang that person looked directly at Z. So Z just assumes that person told the policeRight on! and MM also verified that it was a brown car. So I think the #1 theory is probably the right one.