melville eats blubber

wingwalker
Old Newbie
wingwalker
Old Newbie

March 13th, 2007, 6:46 pm #1

Zodiac's mention of the "melvin eats blubber" pin is a reference to an actual pin that said "melville eats blubber". Melville was the author of Moby Dick. He switched the Melville to Melvin as a nod to Melvin Beli. Was Melvin Beli the most televised lawyer of that period? Is that why the Zodiac chose him to contact?Was"Melville eats blubber" a popular pin in the 60's? I had never heard of it before.

Slug
DOJ

March 13th, 2007, 9:23 pm #2

I wouldn't necessarily call it "popular," based on what I've heard of it. I think of it more as an inside joke amongst people familiar with the classics of literature.

Paradice
DOJ

September 6th, 2007, 2:11 am #3

Wingwalker, Z may have picked Belli because a mental patient named Sam claimed that he was the Zodiac Killer and he wanted Melvin to appear on TV and talk to him. The Belli letter, IMHO, is either poking fun at the whole situation or using it to send LE on a wild goose chase. Maybe Z was hoping that police would believe that he had made the calls to the TV station.

September 6th, 2007, 5:56 pm #4

Was that actually a pin? I thought he just made it up to mess with Belli

DrDoogie
DOJ

September 6th, 2007, 6:29 pm #5

Was Melvin Beli the most televised lawyer of that period? Is that why the Zodiac chose him to contact?.
Belli was probably the most famous attorney in San Francisco at the time. Zodiac was just doing his civic duty by shopping locally.

yarbchris
DOJ

September 6th, 2007, 7:27 pm #6

The "melville eats blubber" button actually existed. Similar catchphrases on pins and the like were popular in the sixties and seventies. think "Hang Ten," "Have a Nice Day" and "Keep On Truckin'" only not so nice.When I first started researching the Zodiac and the blubber reference, I came across such a pin on eBay (from the day). I didn't realize the significance at the time, or I would have bought it. Surely another will pop up in the future.

September 7th, 2007, 3:07 am #7

I think it's a stretch to assume that "Melvin eats blubber" was a reference to Belli. It could just be another of his misspellings.

yarbchris
DOJ

September 7th, 2007, 5:27 am #8

I think it's a stretch to assume that "Melvin eats blubber" was a reference to Belli. It could just be another of his misspellings.
Sure, it could just be just another of his deliberate misspellings. However, with the supposed visits to his home, phone calls, letters, and the like it really isn't that much of a stretch to think he was taking a jab at Belli.

Tracers
DOJ

September 7th, 2007, 5:35 am #9

Yeah, I can see him taunting Belli too.

September 8th, 2007, 7:17 am #10

I think it pretty clearly is.