MAY 2: EXCLUSIVE ZODIAC DNA UPDATE FROM ZODIACKILLER.COM

Discussion of all Zodiac DNA news and certain other topics should be posted here
Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

June 2nd, 2018, 4:57 pm #381

Bolt wrote: The question might be: why was he worried about licking the stamps and envelopes?
There was a large portion of the population that couldn't stand the taste of stamp glue. That's why those stamp moistener devices were so popular. I used to lick stamps for my grandparents when I was a kid because I kinda liked it. lol.

I remember somebody telling me, for them stamp glue was like when you eat the inside brown filler part of a pecan- it's bitter and sucks all the moisture out of your mouth.

Bolt
VPD

June 2nd, 2018, 5:08 pm #382

That's a good point.

Mike Rodelli also makes an interesting case for his suspect not licking stamps, because he was aware of the potential for saliva testing, since it was already happening in horse racing.

Tahoe27
DOJ

June 2nd, 2018, 5:16 pm #383

Of course Zodiac was aware of possible ramifications of licking stamps.  He knew the techniques....tracing photographs, glue on fingertips, etc.

Any DNA would probably come from grabbing the stamp with his fingers, after wetting it.  This certainly requires better DNA testing techniques, but the possibility is still there... something, somewhere.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Bolt
VPD

June 2nd, 2018, 5:44 pm #384

That makes sense, and hopefully an inside corner.

Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

June 2nd, 2018, 5:52 pm #385

Bolt wrote: That's a good point.

Mike Rodelli also makes an interesting case for his suspect not licking stamps, because he was aware of the potential for saliva testing, since it was already happening in horse racing.
I really need to read his book. I know it's well researched from the part I have read. I'm curious as to his theory on what Qvale was doing for the 40 minutes or so between the BRS shooting and the time of the payphone call to VPD. To me, that's a strong indicator the perp lived in Vallejo.

LauraK8
SFPD

June 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm #386

dbowman007 wrote:Then there’s always the:
vintage Large Sengbusch Ideal Moistener Postage Stamp Envelope Wetter Wheel RollerIMG_7705.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve been saying that forever. A lot of people don’t like licking stamps. There are alternative means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LauraK8
SFPD

June 2nd, 2018, 5:57 pm #387

Bolt wrote:The question might be: why was he worried about licking the stamps and envelopes?
You don’t have to be worried about anything. That’s the cart before the horse. I’ve used the spongey thing atop a bottle, as someone mentioned, as long as I can remember. They were at work places. It’s probably more a matter of preference.

Last edited by LauraK8 on June 2nd, 2018, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LauraK8
SFPD

June 2nd, 2018, 5:59 pm #388

seastooge wrote:Back in the 60's we used a little bottle with a sponge on the cap, similar to a dauber to moisten stamps. They were popular with folks who would collect Green Stamps or Blue Chip Stamps.
Yes, we had one and my mom used it to put the stamps in the book.

Bolt
VPD

June 2nd, 2018, 6:09 pm #389

LauraK8 wrote:
Bolt wrote:The question might be: why was he worried about licking the stamps and envelopes?
You don’t have to be worried about anything. That’s the cart before the horse. I’ve used the spongey thing atop a bottle, as someone mentioned, as long as I can remember. They were at work places. It’s probably more a matter of preference.

You're saying he just got lucky then?

LauraK8
SFPD

June 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm #390

Bolt wrote:
LauraK8 wrote:

You're saying he just got lucky then?
I don’t necessarily think he was lucky. If someone drives recklessly and crashes they are unlucky. You wouldn’t call a cautious driver who makes it to his destination lucky. If he used a bottle, the answer is more that LE and future state of the art were unlucky.