Look for a "tim" or "timothy" among the suspects! The "zodiac"'s first name was "timothy" and here's why...

Zodiac Theories
Zodiac a cop? A reporter? A mental patient? An astrology expert?
Discussion of Zodiac theories should be posted here

Look for a "tim" or "timothy" among the suspects! The "zodiac"'s first name was "timothy" and here's why...

HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie
HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie

April 2nd, 2018, 6:51 pm #1

I've decided to share this, despite dropping out of my intense interest in the case a few months ago, maybe someone who's actually working on this case will see it and it will open his/her eyes to things we missed over the years: the zodiac's Halloween card to Paul Avery specifically mentions that he'll "clue him" about his name and the only text there is in the card is the "by gun, by fire, by rope, by knife" text from the wheel of death that had appeared in the Tim Holt 1940s comics, if that's not a dead give away look at how the only word he keeps intentionally spell incorrectly is "victim" to "victom" all over his letters (he clearly took inspiration from "jack the ripper"). I hope it'll help solve the "my name is (cipher)".

Remember: this is not a Dracula-esque figure with fangs, just some fat and short guy who probably was the class' outclass, Bernice Kohn's cipher books fan, outdated plays, typography and a full-time loser all his years till he (whatever age he was) decided to storm on innocent unarmed civilians, kill them and brag about it to feel better with his sorry ass back at his parents' house with his comic books and 1940s playboy issues he bought at the convenient store. his issues with the San Francisco Police Department even IF (and it's a big "if") he attacked people elsewhere, seems to be a result of a past(/juvenile?) criminal record of some sort or a false arrest that made him obsessed with proving himself to be smarter than them. If so, he is in their records somewhere. Just need to find a person who fits his description.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

April 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm #2

Zodiac wrote something after the "clue you in" remark: peek a boo you are doomed

Why wouldn't such a clue to his identity be there, instead of prior to the "clue you in" remark?

Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

April 2nd, 2018, 10:21 pm #3

HebrewWolfman wrote: Remember: this is not a Dracula-esque figure with fangs, just some fat and short guy who probably was the class' outclass, Bernice Kohn's cipher books fan, outdated plays, typography and a full-time loser all his years till he (whatever age he was) decided to storm on innocent unarmed civilians, kill them and brag about it to feel better with his sorry ass back at his parents' house with his comic books and 1940s playboy issues he bought at the convenient store. his issues with the San Francisco Police Department even IF (and it's a big "if") he attacked people elsewhere, seems to be a result of a past(/juvenile?) criminal record of some sort or a false arrest that made him obsessed with proving himself to be smarter than them. If so, he is in their records somewhere. Just need to find a person who fits his description.
Boy, this second paragraph sure seems to paint the hell out of one known POI. Except he wasn't short.

HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie
HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie

April 3rd, 2018, 8:09 am #4

TomVoigt wrote: Zodiac wrote something after the "clue you in" remark: peek a boo you are doomed

Why wouldn't such a clue to his identity be there, instead of prior to the "clue you in" remark?
Here is how I see his "clue you in" remark. The "peek a boo, you are doomed!" comment that circles the "hole" in the tree/plank where the eye is drawn is just for dramatic effect or a private joke of his.
The zodiac killer name was tim or timothy.png

HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie
HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie

April 3rd, 2018, 8:23 am #5

Regal_Legal_Beagle wrote:
HebrewWolfman wrote: Remember: this is not a Dracula-esque figure with fangs, just some fat and short guy who probably was the class' outclass, Bernice Kohn's cipher books fan, outdated plays, typography and a full-time loser all his years till he (whatever age he was) decided to storm on innocent unarmed civilians, kill them and brag about it to feel better with his sorry ass back at his parents' house with his comic books and 1940s playboy issues he bought at the convenient store. his issues with the San Francisco Police Department even IF (and it's a big "if") he attacked people elsewhere, seems to be a result of a past(/juvenile?) criminal record of some sort or a false arrest that made him obsessed with proving himself to be smarter than them. If so, he is in their records somewhere. Just need to find a person who fits his description.
Boy, this second paragraph sure seems to paint the hell out of one known POI. Except he wasn't short.
Ross Sulivan was 6'2" (1.88 m) IIRC. Arthur Leigh Allen was ~6'0" (1.82 m). So both of those guys are out of the equation.

I believe Donald Fouke was correct in his height estimation of the zodiac (and it's a 60% chance the suspect he saw crossing the street was the murderer) being about 5'10". he looked as a 5'8"-5'9" to Michael Mageau who was sitting in Darlene Ferrin's car and looked the same to the 3 Robinson teenagers who saw him from a 60 ft./18 m distance. Mistaking a guy's height by 5 centimeters from both positions is not so hard thing to do and quite understandable.

Cecilia Shepard said he was "5'11" to 6'0" - but again, he was standing on a small ~40 cm "hill" (higher in the slope than they were near the bank of the lake) above them and wore a "tall end" mask that may have made him look taller than he actually was without it. Bryan Hartnell, who himself was 6'8" tall, said that he has problems with estimating one's height due to his own height (as he always looks down over people) and said that the murderer was "anywhere between 5'8" to 6'0" (with the mask and standing higher than them coming into consideration of his memories).

v
Old Newbie
v
Old Newbie

April 3rd, 2018, 2:39 pm #6

Like Gilda Radnor used to say, "It's always something". BTW I noticed again on the Paradice criss cross words (fire, rope etc), that the N is backwards. Mean anything ya think?

HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie
HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie

April 3rd, 2018, 3:34 pm #7

v wrote:
Like Gilda Radnor used to say, "It's always something". BTW I noticed again on the Paradice criss cross words (fire, rope etc), that the N is backwards. Mean anything ya think?
Just a "private joke" of that psychopath. If it wasn't amusing to him we wouldn't be getting all those misspellings and backwards characters in his ciphers.

Regal_Legal_Beagle
Old Newbie

April 3rd, 2018, 4:06 pm #8

HebrewWolfman wrote:
Ross Sulivan was 6'2" (1.88 m) IIRC. Arthur Leigh Allen was ~6'0" (1.82 m). So both of those guys are out of the equation.

I believe Donald Fouke was correct in his height estimation of the zodiac (and it's a 60% chance the suspect he saw crossing the street was the murderer) being about 5'10". he looked as a 5'8"-5'9" to Michael Mageau who was sitting in Darlene Ferrin's car and looked the same to the 3 Robinson teenagers who saw him from a 60 ft./18 m distance. Mistaking a guy's height by 5 centimeters from both positions is not so hard thing to do and quite understandable.

Cecilia Shepard said he was "5'11" to 6'0" - but again, he was standing on a small ~40 cm "hill" (higher in the slope than they were near the bank of the lake) above them and wore a "tall end" mask that may have made him look taller than he actually was without it. Bryan Hartnell, who himself was 6'8" tall, said that he has problems with estimating one's height due to his own height (as he always looks down over people) and said that the murderer was "anywhere between 5'8" to 6'0" (with the mask and standing higher than them coming into consideration of his memories).
As a side note, Z was in no-way ever described as short. 5'8" to 5'9" would have been average or a little better in 1969. Now, when the average USA male height is 5'10", we think of 5'8" to 5'9" as a little short, but you have to consider the average height at the time.

FWIW, Cecilia Shepard didn't actually say he was 5'11"-6'. One of the officers on-scene stood in the same place as Z, with the tree behind him for reference, and asked how the attacker compared in height to him. She said Z was a little taller, maybe an inch or two. The officer said he himself was 5'10".

Personally, I consider this to likely be the most accurate assessment of his height since she used reference points and didn't just pull a number out of the air. Humans are notably poor judges of height and length, even when the subject is captured on video, that's why convenience stores have that measurement tape right next to the door for reference.

As for the Stine scene witnesses, and Mageau, who later picked ALA out of a photo lineup, as you stated, "Mistaking a guy's height by 5 centimeters from both positions is not so hard thing to do and quite understandable." And with Mageau, people who don't like ALA as a suspect are quick to point to the height thing, and discount the positive ID, but they came from the same guy. It is what it is. People are imperfect witnesses. Personally, I put a little more weight on the face recognition than a height estimate from someone sitting in a car, but, people can argue both ways.  

Now, I'm going to reiterate that while I lean toward ALA, I only lean. I'm not certain by any stretch, I just haven't seen another POI that looks anywhere near as good to me. My point in this post is simply to say that saying he's out of the equation because he was a spot-on physical match for witnesses at only 1/3 of the scenes doesn't mean he should be "out of the equation." Other things, like the supposed fingerprints and the handwriting not matching give me more pause with ALA, but they don't rule him out for me because I personally do not know what fingerprints the police have and how they certain they are the prints are from Z. There are others that swear this evidence clears him, but I need to see it for myself.

fxbby74
SFPD

April 3rd, 2018, 7:34 pm #9

HebrewWolfman wrote:

Nice breakdown on the possible height of Zodiac

HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie
HebrewWolfman
Old Newbie

April 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm #10

This guy looks like he's fitting the chubby murderer's description to a tee IMHO - big headed, wears glasses and had a combed hairdo; I can see him writing the letters and ciphers in some dark garage workshop with a barely working lightbulb: 

Regardless to this guy, resembling the killer as he may, I think that if the name of the zodiac was really "tim" then when he tried to pick up an alias/nickname for himself he was searching something about "time" as in "I decide when it's time for them to die". So he was like: "'The Time'? nah, it's not scary enough and sounds like a newspaper... 'The Chronicle'? Nah, too archaic and sounds like a newspaper as well... 'The Clock'? Nah, not creative enough or "cool" enough to make it to the news' headlines... 'The Horoscope'? may need some oiling... Hmmmmm, what else is left about 'time'? OHHH i know - 'the zodiac'!; yes! i shall name myself that".