LA Times influence?

Tahoe27
DOJ

March 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm #1

I thought this newspaper heading in the LA Times was interesting and a possible reason Zodiac wrote No Nine in his Belli letter:I'm always amazed people from Southern CA at the time say they didn't really hear much about Zodiac. Considering he himself even states that they (LA Times) didn't put him in the back pages.Was the LA Times easy to get in SF at the time?
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 19th, 2012, 12:08 am #2

Good eye.The LA Times had the largest circulation of any California newspaper back then, so I'm sure it was available at newsstands in the SF area, especially in the Financial District.I wonder if the Chron ever used that wording.

March 19th, 2012, 10:21 pm #3

This also shows us that Z read at least another large newspaper that was not published in N CA.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

March 19th, 2012, 10:30 pm #4

Zodiac seemed to copy Belli's house font on the envelope, so maybe he copied something else in the Belli letter -- the Times wording of "number."

March 20th, 2012, 2:32 am #5

I thought this newspaper heading in the LA Times was interesting and a possible reason Zodiac wrote No Nine in his Belli letter:I'm always amazed people from Southern CA at the time say they didn't really hear much about Zodiac. Considering he himself even states that they (LA Times) didn't put him in the back pages.Was the LA Times easy to get in SF at the time?
Great find Tahoe!What is the date of that newspaper?
Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me :)

Tahoe27
DOJ

March 20th, 2012, 4:32 am #6

October 16, 1969I think Zodiac was in the LA Times almost as much as the Chronicle...and several times as a front page headline. Working on sharing more.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

March 20th, 2012, 10:32 am #7

Thanks a lot tahoe
Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me :)

March 23rd, 2012, 12:05 am #8

Z had ties to Southern CA. Bates/letters as late as April 1967. Reference to a 'hell of a lot' of victims in SO CA. Refering to the L.A.Times.

HebrewWolfman
HebrewWolfman

June 17th, 2018, 7:28 pm #9

timetoresearchz wrote: Z had ties to Southern CA. Bates/letters as late as April 1967. Reference to a 'hell of a lot' of victims in SO CA. Refering to the L.A.Times.
Nobody can say that for sure. As far as we know, "zodiac" was a liar and had no problems of claiming responsibility for crimes he didn't commit as much as they made him look scarier to the public - which was his top priority (aka terrorist).