Joe Don Dickey, aka Rick Marshall

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 20th, 2007, 1:59 am #1

Supposedly Marshall was born Joe Don Dickey. (I may have it spelled incorrectly.) At some point prior to the 1960s, Dickey left his home state of Texas and headed to San Francisco. Along the way he picked up a hitchhiker named Rick Marshall. The hitchhiker was never seen again, and Dickey assumed his identity.At least, that's how the story goes.If I had more time, I'd research the names Richard Reed Marshall and Joe Don Dickey. (It's possible REED is spelled REID, etc.)Have at it.

September 20th, 2007, 2:39 am #2

*face faults* That is one bizarre tale.

Nin
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 2:57 am #3

*face faults* That is one bizarre tale.
...or a smoking gun?(spilling my hot coffee all over my keyboard)-No it's not

yarbchris
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 3:54 am #4

According to the Abilene Reporter-News of July 21, 1950 (Sunday) Navy recruiters reported one volunteer, one Richard Reed Marshall of Hamlin, TX. Marshall was sent to Dallas for his physical examination the Thursday prior.

BugsMoran
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 12:37 pm #5

Rick Marshall probably isn't the Zodiac, but he may have been involved in some wierd episodes himself...like ALA and Larry Kane. No wonder these guys became suspects in the first place.

greygost
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 1:55 pm #6

Texas Birth Index lists the following:Name: Joe Don DickeyDate of Birth: 13 Mar 1926Gender: MaleBirth County: LubbockFather's name: Jewel Silvester DickeyMother's name: Ollie Mae ScarboroughRoll Number: 1926_0002Hamlin TX is in Fisher County. Fisher and Lubbock Counties appear to be about 50 miles or so apart. Different names, but you make a real big Z, maybe you have Zynchronicity. Or hitchhiking pals.Quick edit: Hamlin is apparently in Jones County, right on the Fisher County border. Still not that far from Lubbock.

Sean
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 2:39 pm #7

"Lubbock"...haven't we heard that before?. If I recall correctly it was the place mentioned as a possible origin for the phrase "Fiddle and fart around", as used by Zodiac in his Riverside communication!

greygost
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 2:50 pm #8

Yes, and apparently the key to nutjob Kaufman blaming his stepfather, Jack Tarrance for this whole mess.(Sigh)--Bernie

Sean
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 2:59 pm #9

Seems it's a place that has spawned it fair share of nutjobs. It also goes to motive I think....I can understand why a guy christened "Joe Don Dickey" might go on a kill rampage.

Nin
DOJ

September 20th, 2007, 3:01 pm #10

Texas Birth Index lists the following:Name: Joe Don DickeyDate of Birth: 13 Mar 1926Gender: MaleBirth County: LubbockFather's name: Jewel Silvester DickeyMother's name: Ollie Mae ScarboroughRoll Number: 1926_0002Hamlin TX is in Fisher County. Fisher and Lubbock Counties appear to be about 50 miles or so apart. Different names, but you make a real big Z, maybe you have Zynchronicity. Or hitchhiking pals.
Jewel Dickey was born in Hamlin TX,if it is the same person,and died in 1975.If Marshall was still able to legally assume his true identity as Joe Don Dickey,supposed Tom's information is correct,he might have obtained an inheritance his father possibly left him:The'informant report' on Rick Marshall provides the following information herehttp://www.zodiackiller.com/MarshallReport3.htmland herehttp://www.zodiackiller.com/MarshallReport4.htmlHowever it might be just another sort of "Zynchronicity" or"wishful thinking"...-No it's not