kalachakra

May 11th, 2007, 11:52 am #11

So, I wonder, what is up with the red/orange around the eyes of the skeletons?

May 11th, 2007, 4:17 pm #12

When I looked at the first High-Res Scan, I thought it could actually be a photographic annomily - like a flash reflection or something.But the second scan (the inside of the card) has that box, almost like a mask, over the eyes. Strikes me as more purposeful. Although I suppose it could be actually black and still be a photo annomily.He obviously took a lot of care in putting this card together. It's probably the most purposeful piece of communication he made. There's so much potential meaning in it - I wish we had a better sense of his motivations with it.

davidmm
DOJ

May 11th, 2007, 4:24 pm #13

I've always assumed that it was a mask, but I can't tell if it's customized by Zodiac, or if it was part of the original clip art. The white eyesA few very interesting elements of these good images... Lots of draw-over on the address and on the "Paradice" configuration. Also, it's clear that he used Liquid Paper to paint the moons and "Boo!" etc, and that the skeleton and pumpkin are clearly commercially produced pieces of clip art. Which leads to my questions... What's under the pumpkin? and Has anyone ever found the source of this clip art or an unaltered version of this card?I also lament the loss of the other Halloween card, sent to Kathleen Johns. It's tantalizing to think of what that could have revealed, especially considering that this card is so elaborate.

Slug
DOJ

May 11th, 2007, 4:45 pm #14

There's so much potential meaning in it - I wish we had a better sense of his motivations with it.
I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating now. There was a San Jose Mercury-News piece about Zodiac that appeared in October of the previous year, opining some very unflattering things about Zodiac's nature, particularly that he was "old Mrs. So-and-So's boy, who never says boo and still lives at home." The Halloween Card might well be a wry retort to this assessment.You can see the article at http://unazod.com/odd/boo.pdf

May 11th, 2007, 10:50 pm #15

What exactly did Paul Avery mean by "never says boo"? The meaning behind that phrase always slipped by me...

Slug
DOJ

May 11th, 2007, 11:11 pm #16

What exactly did Paul Avery mean by "never says boo"? The meaning behind that phrase always slipped by me...
That's an old English expression, I believe, indicating extreme timidity -- "wouldn't say boh [boo] to a goose," is the way I've seen it expressed in one piece of Victorian literature, though I can't remember which one. I think it was Dickens's "David Copperfield."

professornutbudder
Old Newbie

May 12th, 2007, 2:20 am #17

Here's a little background on that saying Doug. http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/wou ... to+a+goose

May 12th, 2007, 2:42 am #18

Kalachakra wrote,So, I wonder, what is up with the red/orange around the eyes of the skeletons?I possible think there is some clue about this also because with the skeleton with the pumpkin formed an O to spell ZOD and the other skeleton with the orange mask to possible spell IAC. Which spelled ZODIAC. Z made odd or out of place things to clue you in. What the orange mask is about, who knows yet. Pictures are below in positions to form the name?http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u215 ... jpgAnother thing found interesting is that there is a road called Paradise Drive in San Fran at Tiburon Penninsula. And also near it is a place called Paradise Cay. Could Z clued us in with the printing on the Halloween Card that says Paradice Slaves to mean Paradise Cay's where his victim, slave is taken for his after life (brrr). Also in Tiburon Pinninsula there was a Military base their in the 60's. It was said Z might be in the Military because of the ciphers, boots, and the maps. These are just my thoughts.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

May 12th, 2007, 3:54 am #19

Doug, I had to delete you last post -- formatting issue. Go ahead and try again.

Slug
DOJ

May 12th, 2007, 4:13 am #20

Doug, I had to delete you last post -- formatting issue. Go ahead and try again.
Just thanking professornutbudder for the link!