Hells Angels Connection

GENERAL DISCUSSION
Non-Zodiac discussion galore should be posted here

Hells Angels Connection

LauraK8
SFPD

March 28th, 2018, 12:20 am #1

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on this:

A while back I was on a San Francisco-related forum and someone had posted a sample Zodiac letter. A guy responded that when he was in the SF Police Academy in the 1980s, he was told that his father’s house had been raided by the police (or FBI?) because they claimed a gun used by Z was registered in his father’s name. His father was in the Hells Angels. This was the first he’d heard of this (it was in his report) and he remembered a raid of some sort occurring around 1973, when he was in first grade or so. They lived in San Bruno at the time. I asked more about it because my eyes kind of boinged, but that was all he knew. So this seems to imply they had come into possession of a gun that matched one of the bullets, because there was never a gun found anywhere at a crime scene, right? Or — it might simply have been an informant saying this guy is Zodiac or has a gun Z used.

Anyway the guy hated his dad, said he was abusive and wanted nothing to do with him and had no contact for years. He didn’t know much of anything about the Z case, but the sample letter minorly piqued his interest. The one other thing was that he and his dad shared the same name.

I did a ton of searches and found out that his dad got married in Santa Rosa at 18 to a 16 year old, this guy was born the same year, and the dad had a fairly extensive arrest record, but I could not see the actual charges. He was 21 in 1969 and died in 2006.

Based on the age I really don’t see him as Zodiac (and it seems he might be too disorganized/simple to be considered) but the gun and the Hells Angels connection is intriguing. A search did show that there has been past discussions of a possible Hells Angel connection and I guess a major HA office (as it were) is located near some kill sites. (Sorry, I didn’t research that last part very much so I’m vague on it.)

I’m not mentioning his name because the son is still alive and shares the same name.

Curious as to your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LauraK8 on March 28th, 2018, 12:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Super_Sleuth
Old Newbie
Super_Sleuth
Old Newbie

March 28th, 2018, 11:18 am #2

LauraK8 wrote:Wondering if anyone has any feedback on this:

A while back I was on a San Francisco-related forum and someone had posted a sample Zodiac letter. A guy responded that when he was in the SF Police Academy in the 1980s, he was told that his father’s house had been raided by the police (or FBI?) because they claimed a gun used by Z was registered in his father’s name. His father was in the Hells Angels. This was the first he’d heard of this (it was in his report) and he remembered a raid of some sort occurring around 1973, when he was in first grade or so. They lived in San Bruno at the time. I asked more about it because my eyes kind of boinged, but that was all he knew. So this seems to imply they had come into possession of a gun that matched one of the bullets, because there was never a gun found anywhere at a crime scene, right? Or — it might simply have been an informant saying this guy is Zodiac or has a gun Z used.

Anyway the guy hated his dad, said he was abusive and wanted nothing to do with him and had no contact for years. He didn’t know much of anything about the Z case, but the sample letter minorly piqued his interest. The one other thing was that he and his dad shared the same name.

I did a ton of searches and found out that his dad got married in Santa Rosa at 18 to a 16 year old, this guy was born the same year, and the dad had a fairly extensive arrest record, but I could not see the actual charges. He was 21 in 1969 and died in 2006.

Based on the age I really don’t see him as Zodiac (and it seems he might be too disorganized/simple to be considered) but the gun and the Hells Angels connection is intriguing. A search did show that there has been past discussions of a possible Hells Angel connection and I guess a major HA office (as it were) is located near some kill sites. (Sorry, I didn’t research that last part very much so I’m vague on it.)

I’m not mentioning his name because the son is still alive and shares the same name.

Can you please share this police report?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

LauraK8
SFPD

March 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm #3

Super_Sleuth wrote:

I don’t have the report. As I noted it was some guy on a forum who said he was told this when he was in the police academy.

Super_Sleuth
Old Newbie
Super_Sleuth
Old Newbie

March 29th, 2018, 8:26 pm #4

LauraK8 wrote:
Super_Sleuth wrote:

I don’t have the report. As I noted it was some guy on a forum who said he was told this when he was in the police academy.

Then I'd take it with a grain of salt. People make up stuff all the time.

LauraK8
SFPD

March 29th, 2018, 8:36 pm #5

Super_Sleuth wrote:
LauraK8 wrote:
Super_Sleuth wrote:Can you please share this police report?

Then I'd take it with a grain of salt. People make up stuff all the time.

I understand, but I don’t think so. He was clearly not a Zodiac groupie, and he didn’t even know the details of the case. He wasn’t particularly interested either. I think it definitely happened but I’m assuming they were just following any whack-a-doodle lead they got due to increased pressure. Two FBI agents came to my place of work to question me because they thought I knew Andrew Cunanan! I’d never met him in my life but obviously somewhere my name showed up. I suspect someone told the FBI a gun used by Z was somehow connected to the HA, which snaked over to his dad at some point. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

He also said the cops said his dad’s name was mentioned in one of Graysmith’s books, but he didn’t know which one because he hated his dad and never checked it out.