My initial observations are:
- There is a lot of evidence, some good and some not so good, collected and published in various places.
- There isn’t enough “smoking gun” evidence to identify the Zodiac, let alone produce an arrest.
- A list of possible suspects has been circulating based on available evidence, analysis, and speculation.
- Apparently, none of the suspects or POI match the available evidence and analysis 100% (i.e. smoking gun).
- Arthur Leigh Allen seems to be the “frontrunner” of possible suspects and the focus of a lot of LE investigations.
Here are my thoughts:
- There is a considerable amount of evidence and information pointing to ALA.
- ALA is intelligent but lacking a lot of social and personal skills, even described as a sociopath. ALA had problems being around children, arrested, and spent time in Atascadero.
- Zodiac put a lot of time and effort into his killings including providing evidence in the letters and codes sent to LE and various people.
- Even though ALA is intelligent, I wonder if he had the necessary organization and housekeeping skills to plan and execute the killings, write the letters and ciphers, and not leave ANY evidence around.
- Can a serial killer be a sociopath and have problems around children? It seems to me the assumption is that because ALA was arrested, he is a bad person, therefore he is capable of killing people.
- ALA never confessed to being Zodiac. He never hid from anyone his time in Atascadero or why he was sent there.
- ALA passed a polygraph test but the examiner said that he passed it because he is a sociopath. Was ALA clinically diagnosed as a sociopath? If not, it is a very stupid thing for the examiner to say. ALA may have exhibited many characteristics of a sociopath; however, that is not the same as a clinical diagnosis. If ALA wasn’t a sociopath, would he have been treated differently by LE?
- Some of the letters and job applications written by ALA seem to be written “normally”, not anything like the Zodiac letters.
- ALA was investigated by LE for over 20 years including two search warrants. I think anyone being investigated for 20 years would drive them crazy, especially if any part of the investigation or search warrants were made public. Who wants to have people slowly driving by their home staring in looking for anything, or having reporters and other curious people show up on the doorstep? It was often said that ALA was quick to anger. Are there any examples of ALA lashing out in anger when triggered?
- Ron Allen grew up with similar family DNA and the same family environment as ALA. Whatever shaped ALA growing up mentally and emotionally might be said about Ron Allen.
- Growing up together as brothers, they probably shared a lot of likes, dislikes, and other personal stuff that we do not know about. Reported conversations ALA had with Cheney and others may have been told to Ron or maybe came from Ron talking to ALA.
- What little is said about Ron Allen is that he seems to be “Mr. Clean” and “Mr. Nice Guy” compared to ALA. He and his wife seem victimized by ALA’s actions and him possibly being the Zodiac.
- There seems to be animosity between ALA and Ron. Ron seemed to be upset about his brother’s problem with children.
- It seems like every time Ron Allen is mentioned, he is either being questioned by police or asking LE to question ALA because Ron and his wife think ALA might be Zodiac. I think there are several tips to LE that were never identified who made the tip. Could Ron have been the anonymous tipster?
- The story about Ron’s wife seeing ALA with a paper with symbols written on them coming he put into a box. Was this box or paper ever found?
- Ron or his wife told LE about ALA handing out recipes having words deliberately misspelled, just like Zodiac. Are there any other examples of ALA’s writings with deliberately misspelled words?
- Ron’s wife somehow ended up at the same psychiatrist that was treating ALA. Coincidence?
- Ron was a City Planner and may have had access to much of the evidence and reports collected for Zodiac.
- We don’t know what conversations Ron and ALA had during any of the investigations. Ron knew how “unhinged” his brother was and may have tried to take advantage of it by gaslighting ALA into thinking he really was the Zodiac.
- Ron probably had easy access to his mom’s house and ALA’s basement allowing him to plant a lot of evidence implicating ALA. (How about buying a Royal typewriter at a flea market and put it in ALA’s basement? How about a small flashlight? Or a knife? LE might get excited about this stuff! Another example are the “bomb making materials” found during the second search. LE asked ALA about it. These materials may have been planted by someone (Ron?) and since ALA wasn’t the neatest person, he may have never knew about the materials. ALA came up with a story that a con man he knew may have put them there which LE determined was a lie. I probably would have lied if confronted by LE about bomb making materials I knew nothing about. “I don’t know” isn’t a very good answer!)
If Ron Allen wasn’t the Zodiac, he may have disliked his brother so much that he deliberately pointed LE to his brother and possibly planted what he thought was enough evidence to have LE arrest ALA. It seemed like after some time, Ron was asking LE when they were going to arrest ALA. Didn’t they have enough evidence? If ALA was locked up in prison for a long time, he would no longer be able to mess around with children or mess up Ron’s life. Ron may have permanently damaged the Zodiac investigation...
I’m not saying that ALA is or is not Zodiac. I am not saying that Ron is or is not the Zodiac. But…. Has Ron undergone the same scrutiny as ALA or other POIs? If not, why not?