LauraK8
SFPD

May 2nd, 2018, 11:29 pm #91

Paradice wrote:
annie10041 wrote:
Regal_Legal_Beagle wrote:Very cool development.

Did the book play any role in evidence or just turn up the heat on the cops to actually do something?
While Michelle’s widower claim she was instrumental, her book was excellent but was more of a bio and the sleuthing she did on the case.  Michelle had access to LE and several victims, so that angle was good.  However for the diehard followers of EAR/ONS, Michelle didn’t offer anything new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The book is the only bestseller about this monster that I am aware of, and other than Sudden Terror and a couple of others over the years, there is remarkably little written about this monster.  While McNamara may not have played a role in the process that identified this guy, she did devise/coin the name "Golden State Killer" and secured the release of multiple audio recordings, handwriting, a map, crime scene photographs, and several details believed to be associated with the killer.

If you think about it, there isn't much more an author could do to affect the capture of a criminal.  There were several things in her LAmag article which I had not seen or heard about the case or had never seen published.  She generated interest and there was a renewed push by the FBI seeking information with victims coming forward, elements of the crimes which had not been discussed publicly coming to light, and multiple television shows/crime specials were produced over the last 2-3 years.
I grew up in the Bay Area, lived in Berkeley in the ‘70s and part of ‘80s, then went to LA and I hate to say this, I don’t remember this guy at all. I heard about him after I got up on this site. I must have read about him at the time, but perhaps the coverage was sparse. For whatever reason, it sure didn’t stay with me.

Tahoe27
DOJ

May 3rd, 2018, 2:30 am #92

I was a kid in the late 70's living in Danville, just up the road from where the attack happened.  We had to call the cops one night to search our house because a door going inside from the garage was ajar.  I remember how scared my Mom was.  The whole community was freaked out.  To this day, I sleep with my bedroom door locked.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Bolt
SFPD

May 3rd, 2018, 3:42 am #93

Tahoe27
DOJ

May 3rd, 2018, 3:37 pm #94

Bolt wrote: Well that didn't take long . . .

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/artic ... 883249.php
Glad he waited until after an arrest.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Bolt
SFPD

May 3rd, 2018, 9:14 pm #95

LauraK8
SFPD

May 4th, 2018, 12:05 am #96

Bolt wrote:More insight from the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/us/g ... alogy.html
Great article.
That line:

“genetic information was uploaded by ordinary citizens looking to make connections with relatives, not to have their data used by the police.”

One can argue they found a relative.

annie1004
Old Newbie
annie1004
Old Newbie

May 4th, 2018, 7:38 pm #97

The HLN series also generated a lot of interest.

Did you read the book?

The moniker “Golden State Killer” glamorizes the monster. Having grown up in his stomping grounds, I prefer EAR, then ONS. But that’s just me.

LauraK8
SFPD

May 4th, 2018, 11:59 pm #98

Here’s a great story about a 13 year old victim. She was one helluva smart cookie.

Victim of 'Golden State Killer' said 'I let him know, I'm not afraid'
https://dailym.ai/2HR2DCW

DoomZ
Old Newbie
DoomZ
Old Newbie

May 5th, 2018, 11:25 am #99

LauraK8 wrote: Great article.
That line:

“genetic information was uploaded by ordinary citizens looking to make connections with relatives, not to have their data used by the police.”

One can argue they found a relative.
Goes to show the importance of reading the terms of service. I don't fault LE for taking the route that they did in this case at all. They used the resources available and it worked. It may be a cautionary tale to those that don't want their DNA used in such a manner, but if there is a serial killer hanging from their family tree, then why wouldn't they want them to be caught?

People now-a-days willingly hand over their DNA, willingly place microphones (Alexa, Echo, etc.) in their homes and give permission to app after app to access their mics and cameras on their cell phones (I'm guilty as charged where my cell phone is concerned). Then they act surprised when they find out that they're info isn't under lock and key. Technology is AWESOME!

Except when it isn't.
Lies have to be repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit.

Paradice
DOJ

May 5th, 2018, 1:47 pm #100

I could care less about DeAngelo's rights, but in other cases if your family member submits their DNA to these sites, then a portion of your DNA is searchable. You haven't consented or read terms or anything. There are some situations where people could have their lives ruined by such information falling into the wrong hands.