LauraK8
SFPD

7:19 PM - Apr 29, 2018 #81

Bolt wrote:That said, you can see the civil rights attorneys and the courts getting started on this, and potentially hamstringing not only one of the major breakthroughs in the history of crime fighting, but also maybe the most significant DETERRENT in the history of crime fighting.

The word is going to get out to the bad guys (unless the lawyers get in the way) - you leave DNA at the scene you're probably toast.
That’s why these LE agencies need to get on it ASAP. Seriously, if SF dawdles on this, it’s unconscionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

annie10041

7:23 PM - Apr 29, 2018 #82

Regal_Legal_Beagle wrote:Very cool development.

Did the book play any role in evidence or just turn up the heat on the cops to actually do something?
While Michelle’s widower claim she was instrumental, her book was excellent but was more of a bio and the sleuthing she did on the case. Michelle had access to LE and several victims, so that angle was good. However for the diehard followers of EAR/ONS, Michelle didn’t offer anything new.

forbisgaryg

7:50 PM - Apr 29, 2018 #83

All those rape kits that go nowhere could benefit from this kind of search.  If ancestry can turn a profit by testing spit for $59 then testing sperm shouldn't be much different in price.

Bolt
SFPD

7:59 PM - Apr 29, 2018 #84

LauraK8 wrote:
Bolt wrote:That said, you can see the civil rights attorneys and the courts getting started on this, and potentially hamstringing not only one of the major breakthroughs in the history of crime fighting, but also maybe the most significant DETERRENT in the history of crime fighting.

The word is going to get out to the bad guys (unless the lawyers get in the way) - you leave DNA at the scene you're probably toast.
That’s why these LE agencies need to get on it ASAP. Seriously, if SF dawdles on this, it’s unconscionable.
Agreed Laura. The first step for SFPD is to have a fresh, outside, cutting-edge expert evaluate the viability of what they have.

Do you know who the lead jurisdiction is on the SR Hitchhiker case?

LauraK8
SFPD

8:13 PM - Apr 29, 2018 #85

Bolt wrote:
LauraK8 wrote:

Agreed Laura. The first step for SFPD is to have a fresh, outside, cutting-edge expert evaluate the viability of what they have.

Do you know who the lead jurisdiction is on the SR Hitchhiker case?
All I know is the Sonoma County Sheriff’s office had some involvement.

tahoetess
Old Newbie
tahoetess
Old Newbie

4:21 AM - Apr 30, 2018 #86

forbisgaryg wrote: I won't be uploading my DNA profile to GEDMatch, not because of this use but because medicine hasn't been nationalized.  

Only Ancestry dot com requires a sample.  The other sites allow one up upload a DNA profile.  I don't know if any of the other sites verify one isn't uploading a targeted spoof for the purposes of identifying people with high profit genetic conditions or potentially low profit clients.  Where there is an economic will there will be a way.

Now about Ancestry and their saliva sample.  On one of the FB groups I follow I learned many kids and elderly have trouble producing the samples.  One lady figured out how to produce fake saliva and it tested just fine.

While predicting facial features from DNA might be possible it's a bit more problematic the other way around.  See https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/eyecolor
This doesn't mean one can't build a set of profiles and upload them to GEDMatch.

With new AI technology currently being applied to images: https://www.techdipper.com/2017/11/01/n ... s-perfect/
one might be able to build a system to learn to build DNA profiles by using a similar GAN approach.  NVidia recently wrote about having a new package that helps people build deep neural nets.  Who knows.

Unlike this case where one starts from a DNA sample, starting with a physical and psychological profile and creating a set of DNA profiles would put us close to "Minority Report" territory.

If someone committed a crime they could download their DNA and use someone elses name etc. Paul Holes  had to take TWO samples because the first was inconclusive...(the recent interview is online)

8:36 PM - Apr 30, 2018 #87

So, it looks like they have finally found out who Bonnie is!!  She is a blogger by the name of Bonnie Ueltzen.  
https://nypost.com/2018/04/28/golden-st ... estigator/

Bolt
SFPD

1:53 AM - May 01, 2018 #88

johngage
Old Newbie
johngage
Old Newbie

3:09 PM - May 02, 2018 #89

It just occurred to me that if the EAR/ONS is indeed the Visalia Ransacker then his murders would include another victim Claude Snelling.

Bolt: Its tragic how many lives were devastated by this monster.

Paradice
DOJ

10:57 PM - May 02, 2018 #90

annie10041 wrote:
Regal_Legal_Beagle wrote:Very cool development.

Did the book play any role in evidence or just turn up the heat on the cops to actually do something?
While Michelle’s widower claim she was instrumental, her book was excellent but was more of a bio and the sleuthing she did on the case.  Michelle had access to LE and several victims, so that angle was good.  However for the diehard followers of EAR/ONS, Michelle didn’t offer anything new.

The book is the only bestseller about this monster that I am aware of, and other than Sudden Terror and a couple of others over the years, there is remarkably little written about this monster.  While McNamara may not have played a role in the process that identified this guy, she did devise/coin the name "Golden State Killer" and secured the release of multiple audio recordings, handwriting, a map, crime scene photographs, and several details believed to be associated with the killer.

If you think about it, there isn't much more an author could do to affect the capture of a criminal.  There were several things in her LAmag article which I had not seen or heard about the case or had never seen published.  She generated interest and there was a renewed push by the FBI seeking information with victims coming forward, elements of the crimes which had not been discussed publicly coming to light, and multiple television shows/crime specials were produced over the last 2-3 years.