Bolt
SFPD

May 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm #121

<The name and email wouldn't be that of the actual person.  I'm not sure I see the problem.  Submitting a profile isn't an accusation.  I would expect LE to start building its own DB and match against it first so over time it wouldn't even be exposed to the public.  I wouldn't expect them to leave any profiles on public DB for any length of time as there would be people looking for email as a way to identify potential suspects just as there are people listening to police scanners.>

DeAngelo is toast no matter what.

The issue going forward is whether LE is the required authorized representative of the people whose DNA they are submitting. Sounds like a grey area unfortunately, and wouldn't be surprising to see restrictions imposed.

Zaikgeist
Old Newbie
Zaikgeist
Old Newbie

May 8th, 2018, 9:20 am #122

I'm old enough to remember LE coming to my school and having a demonstration of how a finger print is taken. "Any volunteers" asked LE to which some eager young kids obliged. Apparently not a violation of the Fourth Amendment against "unreasonable" search and seizure as the kids "volunteered" their evidence.

Guess where those prints ultimately ended up, in the Criminal database for future comparison.

I don't understand all these people who put tons of personal info on facebook or now upload to genealogy companies.

When I grew up I was taught to value my privacy and to PROTECT it.