Favorite TV Detective Series of the Seventies

BugsMoran
DOJ

October 12th, 2011, 12:21 pm #1

I recently had ME TV added to my cable television package and I have been in hog heaven because it's loaded with my favorite detective-crime series from the Seventies. Some of them I can't recall watching in decades. Anyways thse are the best of the best, I think.a) Columbob) Canonc) The Rockford Filesd) Kojacke) Starsky & Hutchf) BarettaI have to say I still enjoy Columbo and the Rockford Files the most after all of these years because of the humor and lighter moments. I am amazed at how good Canon still is. It was a daring move to have a 260 pound middle-age man be the lead on tv series. I guess I haven't taken much to Kojack. He's too caustic and macho for my tastes.Opinions. Feel free to add other shows.

Tracers
DOJ

October 12th, 2011, 10:25 pm #2

Columbo was hands down my favorite. He played dumb and bumbling while noting every detail, he had that basset hound he carried around at various times, and the show had such great guest stars. My mom loved the Rockford files the best, but that was because she had a huge crush on Jim Garner! lolI have MeTv, but never really looked at its offerings. THAT will be changing as of today!

Eric M
SFPD

October 13th, 2011, 5:10 am #3

Canon, able to make incredible shots with his .38 Detective Special.
As Gram's younger sister, known as Little Avis, would later recall, “Things were mighty strange around the house.”

eastjersey
Old Newbie
eastjersey
Old Newbie

October 13th, 2011, 9:39 pm #4

I love cannon, note two n,s. I remember being in high school, and talking about the show with my friends. Also like kojak, car 54, gunsmoke, and others Icant think of now. Love this channel.

ratman
DOJ

October 15th, 2011, 7:43 am #5

Cannon was only 260? He looked 300 easily.

October 16th, 2011, 9:32 pm #6

what about Quincy????he wasnt a detective I know but his shows were mysteries also..

Tracers
DOJ

October 17th, 2011, 9:00 pm #7

Yes! My mom and I loved Quincy too. It used to be on here in the mornings on some channel.

serya
VPD

October 18th, 2011, 4:02 am #8

I liked Ellery Queen with Timothy Hutton's dad. I also liked the NBC Mystery Movie rotation which included McCloud, McMillen & Wife and Columbo, and I think Heck Ramsey, for an western flavor. There was also Barnaby Jones I remember watching often.Those one name detective/cop show titles were so big in the 70s. Banacek, Banyon, Bronk, Eischied, Toma, Harry O, Kodiak, Delvecchio, Serpico, Stone, Hunter, even Mrs. Columbo. They had to eventually send in teams with Hardcastle & McCormick, Cagney & Lacey, even Simon & Simon. And when that didn't work they had to create something new to fight crime- Manimal.And of course perhaps the greatest is...David Cassidy: Man Undercover.

Tracers
DOJ

October 18th, 2011, 4:40 am #9

Wow, your post sure brings back sooo many memories! Thanks. I loved So many of those too. Ellery Queen was another Fave of my mom (and I loved it too)Was David Cassidy Man Undercover really good? I don't remember it. I think it was a spin off of an episode of Police Story in which David played an undercover cop who infiltrated a high school to bust up drugs? IIRC, he was highly praised for his performance and may have even been nominated for an Emmy?(yeah, guess who was/is a Partridge Family fan? But I did NOT have a crush on David. He always seemed too scrawny to me. I did love the exchanges between Keith and Danny though.)

October 19th, 2011, 7:50 pm #10

I always liked Rockford Files! No big surprise that I'm a huge David Chase fan (Sopranos creator) as Chase used to be on the writing staff of Rockford Files.http://metvnetwork.com/
If Gyke Isn't Zodiac - I'll Eat My Hat