Slug
DOJ

September 18th, 2007, 12:06 am #11

It's interesting that Kaczynski uses the word in the same sense. "Well, never mind that stupid episode anyway," he writes of an embarrassing moment with a girl. I think the usage itself is unusual in both cases, but I would argue that it's also correct usage. Zodiac's use of the term tends to contradict the impression he intended to give by misspelling it.

Johnny5
DOJ

September 18th, 2007, 12:52 am #12

Well, the word episode also simply means "incident."
exactly and for the time period (IMHO) it would be a lot more reasonable to believe that this is the context in which he used it.not as a reference to a recurring serial.

Tracers
DOJ

September 18th, 2007, 4:36 am #13

Usually when I have heard someone use the word "episode" for "incident" it has had a negative connotation--the incident was in some way distasteful, scandalous, not to be spoken of, embarrassing, etc.Usually, but not always.

January 5th, 2008, 6:43 am #14

What if the Zodiac was foreign? sometimes forgetting how to spell the words and sounding them out and with accent. Maybe a speech problem?

January 5th, 2008, 7:03 am #15

Everyone who heard Zodiac's voice didn't note any foreign-ness to it, nor any speech impediment.

January 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm #16

I'm not sure how to explain this, but I think z just had an interest in using more educated sounding words? I know when I write, I tend to use adjectives and descriptive phrases that I would not normally use when I speak. I am not sure if it means anything, but I definitely think his use of certain descriptive words is purposeful - if for no other reason, he liked the way it sounded.He obviously enjoyed writing - so why wouldn't he consciously use these more descriptive words?

January 5th, 2008, 4:16 pm #17

IMHO, Z probably picked this word up from watching TV as I did as a child. The TV industry describes their each of their weekly programs as episodes. Additionally, programs quite often numbered the filming between commercial breaks as "Episode I", "Episode II",etc.....If I had to guess, Z surely watched the program below that aired from 1965 to 1974:"THE F.B.I." Television seriesFirst Episode: 1: 1x01 | The Monster (Sep/19/1965) Last Episode: 240: 9x23 | Survival (Apr/28/1974)

January 5th, 2008, 9:15 pm #18

I'm not sure how to explain this, but I think z just had an interest in using more educated sounding words? I know when I write, I tend to use adjectives and descriptive phrases that I would not normally use when I speak. I am not sure if it means anything, but I definitely think his use of certain descriptive words is purposeful - if for no other reason, he liked the way it sounded.He obviously enjoyed writing - so why wouldn't he consciously use these more descriptive words?
I'd agree - and I think you'd have to ask Doug about this. He got me with 'typology' the other day and I'm still thinking.

Slug
DOJ

January 6th, 2008, 5:40 am #19

Smithy, I think I was using "typology" in the sense of a kind of formal classification.For my money, this particular correspondence tells us more about Zodiac's writing habits than any of the others. It was prompted by a challenge, and in it he's directly addressing the challenger. In so doing, he seems to have gotten off his guard somewhat. His language becomes much more high-blown; he uses the semicolon three or four times; uses the word "thus," and some really interesting phrasings, such as "so as not" and "as to how." As I observed before, his attempts to paint himself as uneducated are belied by his grammar and syntax.

ratman
DOJ

January 6th, 2008, 7:53 am #20

Exactly reasons why I think many people on this board underestimate not only his IQ level but also his "epasodes" - much more than 5 IMO inc: Lass, Bates, Edwards, Domingues, man in car (not the Blue Meanie), etc.