"One step closer to finally solving the mystery..."

Discussion of this Zodiac show on History channel should be posted here

Dispelling GYKE Myths: THE PASSPORT

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 30th, 2009, 1:53 am #1

Some of Goldcatcher's documents have been published elsewhere online and they incorrectly seem to indicate Gyke was eliminated as a Zodiac suspect in 1986 via fingerprints, handwriting and a passport stamp showing Gyke was in Europe in December 1968. Time to correct a myth.Where to begin?After launching Zodiackiller.com in 1998, Gyke was one of the first suspects I learned about. My prime source of info on him was Pam Huckaby, sister of Zodiac victim Darlene Ferrin. Huckaby supplied me with Gyke-related documents prepared by Blaine, who had shared them with her. In 1998, Huckaby still had occasional contact with Napa Detective Ken Narlow, who briefly investigated Gyke in 1986. When I first contacted Narlow in 1998 over the phone and in subsequent visits to his home in Napa, Gaikowski was often a topic of our discussion. While the reports I had access to indicated Blaine was under the impression that Gyke had been eliminated as a suspect by Narlow, Narlow had a different story entirely.Narlow told me that he did a background check on Gyke and put him under brief surveillance in San Francisco after Huckaby and Blaine presented him as a suspect. Nothing suspicious was uncovered, so Blaine wore a wire to Gyke's apartment to see if Gyke would say something incriminating while Narlow listened outside. Again, nothing. Meanwhile, Huckaby and a few of her family members confronted Gaikowski and tipped him off that he was under suspicion, thus ruining the inverstigation. Huckaby has since confirmed these events.Out of his jurisdiction and with nothing to warrant devoting more resources on investigating Gyke, Narlow turned over the materials he had collected on Gyke to the San Francisco Police Dept. and went back to Napa. Narlow told me that he never interviewed Gyke in person, as that would have been overstepping his bounds, and that Gyke later phoned him and said something to the effect of "So you think I'm the Zodiac, eh?" Narlow said that Gyke's fingerprints were never taken or compared to Zodiac's as a part of his investigation (if Narlow had Gyke's fingerprints the surveillance would have been unnecessary), and Narlow also told me that he didn't actually see Gyke's passport stamp, but that Gyke used it as an alibi over the phone by claiming he was in Europe at the time of a Zodiac killing. What little they had of Gyke's handwriting looked good, but they didn't have enough of his known handwriting to use as a comparison, and nothing on Gyke was strong enough to get a warrant. And thus the investigated ended.Here's a portion of the FBI report referring to Gyke, and it corroborates Narlow's version of events regarding never seeing Gyke's passport:Unless you choose to believe the above report was merely repeating the claims of Goldcatcher regarding Gyke's passport, and the FBI didn't bother to attribute a source or even add a footnote to explain, which would have been inconsistent with not only their procedure, but also with logic, and in fact would contradict the rest of the report that did attribute sources, the report above implies the FBI had contact with Gyke. If Gyke had lost his passport before Narlow investigated him, he couldn't have shown Narlow the passport. If Gyke had lost his passport after Narlow investigated him, why didn't Gyke tell the FBI he had shown the passport to Narlow and been cleared? The answer is obvious: Narlow never saw the passport. So, why would Narlow allegedly tell Blaine that he had seen the passport? Those of you who have listened to the recorded conversations Blaine had with Gyke know that Blaine lived in a van in San Francisco and had no private phone. Calling from an urban phone booth, it's my opinion that Narlow told Blaine about Gyke's claim of having a stamped passport, but Blaine thought Narlow said he had actually seen the passport. A simple misunderstanding. Or, perhaps Narlow was just fed up with Blaine's persistent hounding about Gyke.Regardless, all of the information indicates Gyke never showed the passport to anyone, and the lack of any record otherwise merely proves it. (With his background, Gyke would have been easily able to fake a passport stamp, so maybe he really did lose it.) But for the final nail in the coffin of this myth, see below --Fast forward to 2004: After moving to San Francisco, I was fortunate to spend some quality time with Inspector Mike Maloney of the San Francisco Police Dept., including a group gathering with fellow researcher Sandy Betts and filmmaker John Mikulenka. Maloney had recently spent several years in charge of the Zodiac case along with a partner. Maloney knew about Gyke and was adamant that Gyke had never been eliminated as a Zodiac suspect, but that he hadn't seen enough evidence against Gyke to warrant an investigation. Maloney was openminded about Gyke and said he was willing to review whatever information I could find. At that point I made an all-out effort to locate Blaine, as evidenced by the June 27, 2004 entry at the Zodiackiller.com News Center:"> If anyone has contact information for the San Francisco informant called "Blaine," please contact me."Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make contact with Blaine until early 2008.Bottom line: Ken Narlow told me that he never saw Gyke's passport, and the FBI report backed up his word in their report by stating Gyke had lost his passport.

Seagull
DOJ

September 30th, 2009, 4:48 am #2

Thank you for laying out all the info on Gaik's passport, fingerprints and handwriting.I do remember seeing the portion of the FBI report posted before stating that Gaik had lost his passport and it has been clear, to me at least, that there was no confirmation one way or the other about Gaik's whereabouts in December of 1968. The lost passport is reminicent of the article he wrote about having lost his draft card (or whatever the card is called when you've served) and seems consistant with his MO on retaining personal papers. I will say that Gaik has left behind an almost nonexistant paper trail regarding his life's endeavours. Other than his partnership in the Roxie Theater, there is nothing in the way of official paperwork. He never married or had a domestic partnership, never had kids, never bought a home or any of the other things people normally do. There is a very limited amout of things to work with regarding this guy! I find it most unusual for a person who was a writer.

wingwalker
Old Newbie
wingwalker
Old Newbie

September 30th, 2009, 4:52 am #3

Tom, Thanks for dispelling some Gyke myths ! Can you please post the link to the Goldcatcher documents ? Or, maybe someone can pm them to me, if you don't want to post the link.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 30th, 2009, 4:54 am #4

PM each other the link, that's fine.

UBPClaw
SFPD

September 30th, 2009, 4:31 pm #5

Narlow told me that he never interviewed Gyke in person, as that would have been overstepping his bounds, and that Gyke later phoned him and said something to the effect of "So you think I'm the Zodiac, eh?"
Kind of sounds like something Zodiac would do huh? Sort of a challenge, as if hes saying "Ok, you found me. But now you have to prove it"

BugsMoran
DOJ

September 30th, 2009, 5:58 pm #6

I wonder how long the telephone conversation between Narlow and Gyke lasted? From the very little that Narlow has given about the conversation, it sounds like Richard was either bewildered that he was suspect, or being nasty about it.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 30th, 2009, 8:48 pm #7

If Gyke was the Zodiac he probably didn't want Narlow to continue his investigation and calling him would be what someone who was innocent would do. Nice strategy.

September 30th, 2009, 9:06 pm #8

Seagull, you aptly note that Gaik did not leave much of a paper trail behind, but what about his driver's license? Someone got ahold of ALA's 1968 driver's license when he was teaching in Burson and reproduced it. Gaik must have applied for a DMV license when he returned to California in 1969. It would be most interesting to see that picture and also what kind of weight he was carrying at the time.I also don't remember seeing a post that mentioned anything about what kind of car Gaik was driving during his SF stint at editor of the Good Times.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 30th, 2009, 9:23 pm #9

According to those who knew him, Gyke drove a Karmann Ghia in 1969. He had ready access to other vehicles as well.I am the one who obtained and posted Allen's driver's license from the late 1960s. It was given to me by the widow of one of the original Zodiac investigators. It would take someone within law enforcement to get access to Gyke's DMV records.

October 1st, 2009, 7:29 pm #10

Could anyone here please PM me the link to Goldcatcher's documents?