Dispelling GYKE Myths: THE HANDWRITING

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

2:44 AM - Sep 30, 2009 #1

Some of Goldcatcher's documents have been published elsewhere online and they incorrectly seem to indicate Gyke was eliminated as a Zodiac suspect in 1986 via fingerprints, handwriting and a passport stamp showing Gyke was in Europe in December 1968. Time to correct a myth.Where to begin? By now I think most of you have heard this audio file confirming similarities were found between Gyke's known handwriting and Zodiac's:

Blaine was asked to provide more handwriting, but all he had left was a notebook he had removed from Gyke's apartment. Blaine wasn't certain it was Gyke's handwriting as it was a handwritten log from a nearby hospital, and Gyke had never worked there. The handwriting in the notebook was apparently what was determined to not be that of the Zodiac, although I've seen no supporting documentation.

Bottom line: 
Gyke's known handwriting had similarities to Zodiac's according to the experts at the California Department Of Justice, and they'd know better than us.   .

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

7:16 AM - Sep 30, 2009 #2

On the subject of Gyke's handwriting I want to point out that I have very few examples of his printing. Yes he was a writer, but he was the kind who used a portable typewriter. A vast majority of his handwriting samples that I have acquired are in cursive, or a combo of cursive and printing, and I don't have many of those, either. Since Zodiac chose to exclusively print his letters and we don't have examples of his cursive etc, most of what I have collected on Gyke is worthless for comparison purposes.

However, if anyone thinks Gyke's handwriting can easily be found for comparison purposes and we are just poor at finding it, or aren't even looking for it, go for it. And by all means, don't forget to post the results of your search.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

9:25 PM - Sep 30, 2009 #3

This healthy sample of Gyke's handwriting has been posted here for more than a year. Apparently some managed to miss it somehow. Since Zodiac chose to print and Gyke had the habit of using cursive, 'tis not much good for comparison purposes.The DOJ scrutinized Gyke's printing and found it consistent with Zodiac's.

Eric M
SFPD

11:45 PM - Oct 02, 2009 #4

I would like to have gotten a better look at the printing on the large brown Loomis envelope.
As Gram's younger sister, known as Little Avis, would later recall, “Things were mighty strange around the house.”

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

4:13 AM - Oct 05, 2009 #5

One of the items that was recently published elsewhere online (Bitterfield) is a scan of handwriting allegedly belonging to Gyke. I was given that scan in 1998 by Pam Huckaby. She told me Gaikowski gave her the handwriting sample when she visited his house in 1986 (and thus ruined Ken Narlow's surveillance). I could have published it a long time ago, but I didn't. Why not? Was it written by Gaikowski? God bless Pam, but she has told me things that weren't true...and she'll admit it. Bottom line is I'm not going to reproduce a document when I have doubts about the origin, and even though the "San Francisco, California" portion in the middle looks close enough to possibly be Zodiac's handwriting (most of the sample is in cursive), nobody knows for sure it's even Gyke's handwriting. I mean, I could write "Arthur Leigh Allen" on a piece of paper, but that doesn't mean I'm really Arthur Leigh Allen.The person who published it online (Bitterfield) also has an envelope from a Roxie mailer that he claims must be Gaikowski's handwriting. You know, because Gyke worked at the Roxie. One must wonder why the founder of a theater would do the shi* work such as handwritten mass mailings instead of assigning it to one of the interns or many minimum wage employees...

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

5:10 AM - Oct 06, 2009 #6

If Gyke was Zodiac, it's fair to say he would have tried to alter his handwriting at least a bit when surprised by Pam Huckaby in 1986 asking for a handwriting sample.The alleged Gyke sample below begins with some inconsistent characters compared to Zodiac's handwriting, then falls into place. (Note how he apparently wrote the "f" in California too early and then tried to turn it into a lowercase "L.")

If this sample belongs to Gyke, I can see why the document examiner at the DOJ couldn't rule him out.

Oh, and how about that misspelling...

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

5:18 AM - Oct 06, 2009 #7

My theory on Zodiac's handwriting is he used a simple technique when writing the Zodiac letters: He took the trouble to print exactly as taught in elementary school. Think about it -- there's how we were taught to write, and then there's how we write.If I wrote my mother a letter using this technique, she wouldn't recognize my handwriting. But that's another thread.

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

5:27 AM - Oct 06, 2009 #8

If I remember correctly, Gyke was standing when he gave the sample. Pam told me he seemed to recognize her, either her face or name. But who knows?

Tmac
DOJ

12:49 PM - Oct 06, 2009 #9

I like the inconsistency in the "a" throught the Gyke sample.

PAUL
SFPD

2:59 PM - Oct 06, 2009 #10

Who is in possession of the post card and has this stamp been tested for DNA? Sorry wrong thread... just curious.