September 12th, 2008, 11:31 am #51

This is my first post, so if I sound dogmatic please just shake your heads sadly and mutter"newbie". I've felt very strongly about this ring business for a while now. Let's apply occam's razor to the possibilites:1) DF is in the process of offering the ring to BLJ when a maniac storms around the car firing into it and 'herding' them out in a panic and he doesn't DROP it???2) Robbery gone bad: instead of simply waving his gun in the open window (let's not even start on that one!) he 'herds' them out and then asks, not for cash, but a ring -and then shoots DF in the process of handing it over and then leaves w/o it?3) It simply falls off.4) Butterbach's assumption that DF prevented Z from taking a trophey by clutching the ring is impossible. I'm no 'brain surgeon' but I have consulted experts on this point: the bullit passed thru the portions of the brain that control consciousness and voluntary function -DF was tragically brain dead before he hit the ground. He was only still weakly breathing because the amygdala was still intact. If Z wanted to take a trophey he simply grabs the ring. DF wouldn't even know about it, much less be able to stop him by clutching it in that peculiar manner. sooo...5) After killing BLJ Z returns to DF and POSITIONS his fingers! Butterbach's immediate police report [which is far more reliable than an older man's 40 yr old recollections] seems to imply that he saw the ring at the scene and the ring was held between "the middle and ring finger" [and the thumb]. Try it and look at your hand. That symbol means either a) "hook 'em horns" b)'"rock on" [but not yet in 1969]or...(here's where you shake your heads and mutter) c) the GOAT OF MENDES -a very prominant satanic hand signal. Now add in the tips about an occult group in the Vallejo area that were ignored by police, the drug angle, and take it all in the context of the times [in the sixties no place was "the sixties" like SF -capital of LSD, hippies, satanism and the counter culture]. Remember your Sherlock Holmes: "Once you eliminate everthing else, whtever remains must be so. OK, you can shake & mutter now.

Nin
DOJ

September 12th, 2008, 12:20 pm #52

Welcome to the board!I always wanted to meet Lt Columbo!! -Nin

September 12th, 2008, 12:38 pm #53

It's a real pleasure, sir. I've admired your posts.

Tahoe27
DOJ

September 12th, 2008, 5:53 pm #54

Yes, welcome LC.In the PD reports Butterbach makes it sound as if he is observing David's fingers in that position while in the hospital. You had mentioned Mrs. Your. She is in both the LHR reports and the BRS reports. I looked for any names in both reports. The other name that comes up in both is Officer MeyRING..
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

September 12th, 2008, 7:56 pm #55

Thanks.Hmmm. Interesting, Tahoe. I must reread the BRS reports. I don't see how I could've missed that. Oh, who am I kidding. I get so tunnel visioned sometimes I'd miss a tribe of Ubangi warriors in my living room!

September 12th, 2008, 10:21 pm #56

!Update! Lt Columbo gets egg on face. Upon re-reading LHR files I see that Dep. Butterbach did indeed origionally state that he first noticed the ring at the hospital -not at the crime scene. I retract that innaccuracy and hope it didn't cause any confusion. I also apologize to Det. Butterbach for suggesting time had affected his memory-turns out his memory is better than mine.

Tahoe27
DOJ

September 12th, 2008, 10:30 pm #57

I had to go back and read it too. It is a bit confusing. If David were in any way able to grasp his ring, was it a clue?

Old Newbie
Old Newbie

September 12th, 2008, 10:44 pm #58

The positioning seems more telling than the ring itself due the oddity of how his fingers were positioned.I would guess that if you you were grasping a ring you would keep it in a fist or pinch it between index finger and the thumb or the middle finger.Perhaps Faraday was trying to do intials if he knew Zodiac or he was trying to signify that Zodiac had something to do with his school.

Tracers
DOJ

February 2nd, 2010, 10:54 pm #59

I found a picture of a 1970 Vallejo High School class ring. Tahoe will help me post it. I thought people might like to see what the ring looked like.

Tahoe27
DOJ

February 2nd, 2010, 11:16 pm #60

A little sad to see. I wonder if anyone in David's family still has his ring?Thanks for this Tracers.