David Faraday's Funeral

David Faraday and Betty Lou Jensen
Dec. 20, 1968 near Vallejo, Cal.
Discussion of definite Zodiac victims David Faraday and Betty Lou Jensen should be posted here

September 12th, 2008, 6:39 pm #21

Thanks, Tahoe, I'm glad I'm not alone on that. About the scouts - Here's this Eagle Scout threatening to turn in dope dealers like he's Jack Armstrong All American Boy [which ,I guess, he was] who seems to be waiting for someone. And then here's this time between 11:05 and 11:10 when the both the racoon hunters and the passing motorist see both Impala & Rambler but no people in or around them. So where are they? DF is probably the worst candidate in town for either a dealer or buyer of drugs- but he's a very good candidate for an informant or 'narc'. Suppose he was meeting with a cop he knew & trusted -never dreaming that this cop could be deeply involved in the drug traffic... Now, if those are Police Explorer Scouts that come out in force for his funeral, or someone in local law enforcement was involved w/ Boy Scouts it ties it together even more. As do the positioning of bodies and bullet holes, etc. And then there's the controversy about the open window. Would BLJ sit there in biting cold in a mini-skirt w/ the window all the way down and her jacket laying on the back seat? If the window's not open would she roll it all the way down in the middle of the night in an isolated spot even for a non-scary stranger -let alone a man w/ a gun? I don't think this was a drug deal gone bad, I think this was a crime tip gone bad!

greygost
DOJ

September 13th, 2008, 1:23 am #22

A crime tip gone bad? An All-American boy and a presumptive virgin on her first date. At sixteen. David's Pancake House talk may be nothing more than loose teenage bravado.This is not only fiction, it's bad fiction. I'm not particularly prejudiced against bad fiction, but I have the taste not to apply it to real murder victims. Without evidence.BTW, any evidence the local police were heavily involved in drug traffic? Or is this simply a "given"?

TomVoigt
Site Owner
TomVoigt
Site Owner

September 13th, 2008, 1:37 am #23

I don't recall offhand when her curfew was. However, I do recall being in similar situations at that age and either losing track of time or simply choosing to ignore it in the heat of the moment.As far as their car allegedly changing positions, so? Maybe David originally parked against the gate and had to move because of other cars needing to enter or exit. And maybe the next position he chose to park in allowed headlights to glare on them from cars passing by, so he again moved.

September 13th, 2008, 10:28 pm #24

Gosh <GreyGhost>, are you always so co confrontatioal and acrimonious? I completely understand your repeated insinuations that I am 'substituting my beliefs for the established facts' in weaving my 'fiction'. It is, of course, very human to try to fit facts into the framework of what you wan't to believe and discard any evidence to the contrary. Most of the time we don't even realize that we're doing it. Greysmith is a classic example of this -once he fixates on ALA nothing, not even DNA results will dissuade him. If I WERE to compose fiction -(even 'bad fiction" -ouch! ) this would not be the plot line. Let me tell you what I would LIKE to believe. I, like most people, am oddly infatuated with the image of the maniacal supervillian who eludes the authorities until, of course, he matches wits with me. Every professional and armchair slueth wants to have his very own Dr. Moriarty. I would LIKE to believe that a hooded vicious super-genious has left a trail of clues and that a carefull analysis of radians and cryptograms will reveal his identity in an 'aha' moment for the ages. And, of course, that may very well turn out to be the case and I will be delighted if it does because it is by far the 'sexiest' solution. Heck, Kauffman even has his Dad responsible for the Texarkana spree of '46! I assure you if I were to edit and twist the facts to a particular end, which I would only do subconsciously, it would be towards the lone crazed killer theory that I would be drawn.As per evidence that local law enforcement was involved in drug trafficing, no -absolutely not. Any more than there is evidence that a hippie newspaper editor or a pudgy theater employee are vicious killers. Still, if we do not pursue such leads we will never know, will we? Are we to say that certain professions exempt one from investigation? Does looking into ALA betray an indictment of all teachers? It seems the mere fact of having your name appear in Darlene Ferrin's address book is enough to merit further investigation -unless the individual is wearing a badge, in which case any raised eyebrow means you are to shot at dawn. I only postulate it as a possibility. I'm thinking it is this that seems to have hit a nerve. Let me assure there is no greater fan of law enforcement than myself. This line of reasoning comes from curious events in connection w/ BRS -which many, many have commented on -and is only applied experimentally to LHR to see if it would be consistent.Finally, a couple of my early posts were so worded as to imitate the speech patterns and phrasology of the fictional TV Columbo revealing his solution of the case. This was meant to add a (very) slight touch of humor to a very grim and painful subject -something we all do on occaision. Apparently I did it quite poorly and it only served to make me seem dogmatic. The points I expressed, however, were my honest (and humble) evaluation of the police reports. Only the tone of my comments was meant to be 'in character'. I won't make that stylistic mistake again.I realize that I can be verbose, didactic and obnoxious... and I uh.. well, I guess what I'm trying to say is... gosh! this is so hard...I guess I'm saying... well, when you're this good looking does it really matter?Whew! Glad I got that off my chest!

greygost
DOJ

September 14th, 2008, 1:24 pm #25

I completely understand your repeated insinuations that I am 'substituting my beliefs for the established facts' in weaving my 'fiction'.
No insinuations there. I flat out stated it in the other thread. I have no problem with anyone proposing a crooked, drug involved policeman might have been party to the Zodiac crimes. As long as they show me evidence to that effect. You're not the first one to have proffered that theory. More than a few have, and one of the more spectacularly bad jobs of it was Harry Martin's 1991 effort in his self owned newspaper, The Napa Sentinel. Even Harry seemed to get confused with the story he concocted, as his series of articles veered from naming Robert Hunter to Larry Kane to an unknown group of cops as the killers. I recognize your theory differs in that you're not naming the victims (in this crime at least) as drug criminals as Harry manages to, but surely you can do better than simply say it was a cop involved with a drug ring, and leave it at that.If there was a even a kernel of truth in that, I think someone in the subsequent 17 years since the Sentinel series or forty years since the murders might have discovered a link between some bad bulls and the killings. Yet nothing beyond the occasional screaming internet post that it was the cops. With no proof.
Gosh <GreyGhost>, are you always so co confrontatioal and acrimonious?
I see myself as being neither. I least I hope I'm not. Since you're mixing responses from different threads (substituting beliefs, etc.), so will I. When I see theories being tossed about that a certain sequence of events "had" to have happened in the postulator's view, with no alternative possible, you will get a response from me. Asking for evidence.As far as your looks go, I'll have to leave that to our female members. Perhaps a poll is in order.

September 14th, 2008, 7:41 pm #26

<GreyGohst>I see we have gotten off on the wrong foot. I take full responsibility. As for proof, well it's early days for me. I would point out the case of "Buzz" Gordon -whom I am not accusing! If you or I came into to see Captain Lynch w/ the information that we have had a long term relationship with deceased and handed over a 9mm it would be dealt w/ differently. The proffered 9mm is run through balistics and given a clean bill of health and hey presto! Suspect cleared. If it were 'Paul the bartender' they would tear apart his car, knock on walls, pull up floorboards... I repeat I am not accusing Gordon [exept perhaps for conduct unbecoming an officer for which he was eventually dismissed]. I hold off on naming anyone until I have proof. But I must repeat we are not so slow to bandy about the names of hundreds of suspects in other professions on considerably less 'evidence'. I admit, you did catch me in one huge lie. Let me get this off my chest:I'm not really good looking.

September 27th, 2008, 10:55 am #27

Although one of the Scouts in the above photo does look a little like the Zodiac composite...
Are you thinking of one of these young men Nacht?-Nin
Talk about odd... That's XXXX XXXXXX, at least I'm 99% sure it is, cause he's my uncle. He eventually went on to be the camp director up at Camp Silverado for many years. He teaches in Nevada now.

Gromik21
Old Newbie
Gromik21
Old Newbie

September 28th, 2008, 3:45 pm #28

Lt Columbo writes :What were those kids still doing there at 11:05 pm?I've my little idea on this. Maybe after what BLJ's sister has been through, could we think of someone been on a "moral mission" to avoid the repetition of a past situation ?In addition, Tom's interview of BLJ's best friend goes over an secluded area known by driving license monitors as very quiet. Yet another track for Z's job ?

Nin
DOJ

September 28th, 2008, 4:50 pm #29

Lt Columbo writes :What were those kids still doing there at 11:05 pm?..
Well,maybe it was just a bit too busy that night and the kids where still looking for some privacy..-Nin

September 28th, 2008, 6:28 pm #30

vt--that is interesting. Maybe you could get his first hand account of the funeral for us.