Tracers
DOJ

January 16th, 2013, 5:14 am #31

Thanks for the report, Ray. It certainly is brief! As for the embalming, iirc, Darlene was embalmed too even though she ended up being cremated like David.

Tahoe27
DOJ

January 16th, 2013, 5:18 am #32

Tracers wrote: Thanks for the report, Ray. It certainly is brief! As for the embalming, iirc, Darlene was embalmed too even though she ended up being cremated like David.
Yes...this is true.  I still find that odd, but they had their reasons.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

Nin
DOJ

January 16th, 2013, 1:49 pm #33

Tracers wrote:Thanks for the report, Ray. It certainly is brief! As for the embalming, iirc, Darlene was embalmed too even though she ended up being cremated like David.
Sometimes they embalm the organs at the time of autopsy or shortly after, as a preservation procedure. Then, after the autopsy, the remaining body will be embalmed. It may be a different process though, which is logic if you think of the autopsy standards. Don't want to get into details here. Whether cremation or not, embalming serves the families during an open casket viewing. The deceased is being preserved to provide the families and friends with time to say goodby to their loved ones, especially if the funeral is delayed because of examinations.

-Nin

Seagull
DOJ

January 16th, 2013, 4:44 pm #34

Ray Grant wrote: One would think, if the investigating agency was so focused on a drug lead, that they would have checked the victims post-mortem for possible drug use.  Since I'm not a forensic pathologist and don't pretend particular expertise on autopsies, I have no idea if the kinds of tests routinely performed today were even available back then.  But it's another example of what Pierre Bidou pointed out on the Zodiac DVD: we are so used to the forensic technology today (partly because of the impact of TV shows like CSI) that we don't realize what wasn't typically done 4 decades ago.    
Ray I do not think that drug testing was nearly as sophisticated back then as it is now.  I think it was probably more of a guess based on the victim's lifestyle than actual lab tests.  If you look at victims Eve Blau and Marie Anstey LE was clearly mystified as to the type of drugs each of the girls had in their systems and that was after samples were sent to the state lab.

http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/6238/Marie-Anstey
http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/6236/Eva-Blau

Jdombr25

July 5th, 2014, 1:22 pm #35

Looks like Ray's site is down. Does anyone have the transcript of Faraday's autopsy that they could share with me?

Tahoe27
DOJ

July 5th, 2014, 6:27 pm #36

This was what Ray had shared.  I will obtain a copy myself so that we can see the actual document.  It is public information.  Ray was the first to post about it and share it as far as we know.

REPORT OF AUTOPSY

OFFICE OF THE
CORONER OF SOLANO COUNTY

MORGAN L. HANNIGAN, Coroner

Name: David Arthur Faraday
Post mortem at: Colonial Chapels Date: 12/21/68 Time: 1:30pm
Place of death: DOA Vallejo General Hospital Date: 12/21/68 Time: 12:05am
Age: 17 years Sex: Male Color: White Height: 68” Weight: 135#

EXTERNAL EXAMINATION

Marks of identification: None. A soft, discrete mass (2.0 cm.) is palpable over the right side of the face at the right of the mandible (towards the angle of the jaw).

Wounds: See below on the cranial activity. A small ½ inch bruise is noted over the left side of the neck.

General: Well developed, well nourished, slender built. Scalp hair is brown. Irides are brown; pupils are equal at 0.6cm. Rigor mortis is 4+. Body is embalmed. Back and extremities are not remarkable.

INTERNAL EXAMINATION

Thoracic cavity: External examination only. There are no evidences of injuries or trauma.

Abdominal cavity: External examination only There are no evidences of injuries or trauma.

Cranial cavity: Head: A bullet wound (3/16” diameter) of entry is seen penetrating the upper slight posterior area of the left ear and entering the scalp and skull bone beneath. The bullet follows a straight horizontal course but angling forward and to the right, going through the left temporal lobe. The base of the frontal lobes in the midline and inferior borders of the left frontal lobe and anterior margins of the left temporal lobe. The irregularly flattened bullet is recovered here. In the dura, without injury to the skull bone. There is no tumors to the brain. Subdural and subarachnoid hemorrhages are present. There are comminuted fractures of both left and right temporal bones and sphenoid bones.

Immediate cause of death: Bullet wound through the head and brain with hemorrhages.

Signature: S. Shirai, M. D. Pathologist

bruce3
DOJ

July 6th, 2014, 2:55 am #37

And some posters have expressed concern about Crow's' interview with LE and what kind of car he saw that night. He stated the officer was dead set on a Valiant. Christina, Darlene's younger sister told me the police were very firm, tough and adamant with a predetermined mind set about everything.She said they would not listen to them. Crow was faced with the same thing.He and his friend went about Vallejo later looking for a white '60/1 Chevy! He said they knew of none of their friends or aquantances that owned such a car. Betty Lou's friends were subject to that old type of interrogation. More LE have been trained in proper interviewing of suspects as well as witnesses today yet still a some of that time worn,  'I tell you what to think' is still present today in interviews.
Kathleen Johns was/is subject to tremendous critcism based on what survived in those very sketchy poorly written police reports based on,again,the form or manner of interviewing in those days.They crafted some things to fit their mind set as to what transpired.
Last edited by bruce3 on July 6th, 2014, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tahoe27
DOJ

July 6th, 2014, 7:20 am #38

Jdombr25 wrote:
Looks like Ray's site is down. Does anyone have the transcript of Faraday's autopsy that they could share with me?
Shared above....I will also look to find Betty Lou's autopsy as well.

Jdombr25

July 6th, 2014, 2:48 pm #39

Thanks, Tahoe!

Jdombr25

July 6th, 2014, 2:49 pm #40

Tracers, Here's Betty Lou Jensen's autopsy: