Darlene’s Husband

MaryAnn
MaryAnn

May 4th, 2018, 1:17 am #1

When did Darlene’s husband start working at the Times Union in Albany, NY?

Did Darlene ever visit Albany, NY in 1964?

Druzer
Old Newbie
Druzer
Old Newbie

May 4th, 2018, 3:56 am #2

Hi MaryAnn, I will share some timeline info I have gleamed from the Blue Rock Springs report, a 2010 forum discussion with Jim Crabtree, and the research of others. I believe Darlene met her first husband Jim Phillips when they both lived in San Francisco in August 65 and they married in January 66. I think within a month they moved to Albany where Jim briefly worked at the Times Union. I don't know how long after January 66 they were in the New York area. 

Jim and Darlene also worked in Lake Tahoe and Colorado Springs. They returned to Vallejo in October 66 after an undetermined amount of time in the Virgin Islands. They told Darlene's mother they were in the Virgin Islands for 5 months but apparently that seems unlikely. By the end of November 66 Jim was at the Santa Barbara Star Free Press. In early January 67 Jim worked for a week or so at the Fairfield Daily and by June 67 they were divorced. 

In 1968 Jim's adoptive father an ex CHP officer named Diamond Phillips died and a few months later Jim changed his name to his birth name Crabtree. There are Albany names in Darlene's phonebook but that book firstly belonged to Jim so it is unclear whose contacts they were or when they were entered into the book. I don't know why they decided on Albany or whether there is any indication that either had connections to Albany in 1964 but surely it is possible that one or both did. 

MaryAnn
MaryAnn

June 8th, 2018, 10:07 pm #3

Thank you so much. I heard a talk show - Coast to Coast - talking about how the Zodiac Killer could have followed Darlene to Albany in 1964.

My aunt, Catherine Blackburn, lived within walking distance of the Knickerbocker News. September 1964 she had an apartment for rent. She put an ad in both the Times Union and Knickerbocker News. A young man came and looked at the apartment. He said his mother was a local teacher. He put down a small deposit - she wrote him a receipt - and said they would be back to look at it. He thought it would work for them. On the evening of
Friday, September 13, 1964, someone came to her house. She must have recognized him, and let him in. She was brutally murdered upstairs in the apartment. He dragged her across the floor, stabed her, went and got a pillow from her bed downstairs, put it under her head and raped her. We don’t know what happened first - the rape or the stabbing. He took one of her knives from downstairs - heated it on the stove - and burned her lips and breasts. She was found Monday morning when she didn’t show up for work. Sadly, the Albany, NY police would not allow the FBI to help out. Too many people were allowed into the crime scene, so everything was compromised. No one saw anything or heard anything. It’s an unsolved murder. What the killer did to my Aunt’s lips was something that the Zodiac killer may have done - he had done other things to his other victims’ lips - said the speaker on the talk show.

Any advice or information regarding my Aunt’s murder?

Thank you - Mary Ann

Druzer
Old Newbie
Druzer
Old Newbie

June 9th, 2018, 4:52 am #4

That is a truly horrific tragedy Mary Ann and I am very sorry to hear it. There sure is a lot of evil in this world. As far as relating the crime to the Zodiac I would be doubtful of a connection. Although there is a chance that Zodiac was linked to Albany in 1964 (through Gaikowski or Phillips), November 1969 (the murder of two scientologists), and 1973 (the Albany letter), this extremely risky and brutal home invasion scenario with a weapon obtained at the scene is quite different from Zodiac's known outdoor vehicle-related attacks. Though it is not entirely dissimilar from the April 1970 San Francisco apartment murder of Robert Salem, which to me is a compelling outlier Zodiac crime, there is no evidence that Zodiac ever entered the residence of a victim or engaged in sexual activity with his victims. Though it is possible that he 'evolved' into such a killer it would seem unlikely that he started that way. Many sleuths consider the June 1963 murder in Santa Barbara and the October 1966 murder in Riverside as possible early crimes of the Zodiac but I am not convinced he was involved in either. I believe that all of Zodiac's murders were done in California and that the December 20, 1968 attack in Benicia was his first. In his August 4, 1969 letter he wrote that he began "collecting" his "slaves" on that night. I hope my opinions here are helpful May Ann and that you find some peace with this terrible history.