Crime Scene Stills - KRON (SFBA TV Archives)

Tahoe27
DOJ

March 27th, 2017, 5:37 am #1

The following stills are from video taken by KRON back in 1968.  It is available through San Francisco Bay Area Television Archives.  We would like to thank both for their efforts providing this footage and sharing it with the public.

Here is a link to the video from which the stills were taken:  https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/231064

Information
Type of material: local newsfilm
Duration: 3:53
Rights for this video belong to: Young Broadcasting of San Francisco, Inc.
Recording medium: 16mm b&w negative silent/magentic sound film
Date aired: 12/21/1968
Originally aired on: KRON-TV

Where David fell.  Note the fresh tire track.

Where Betty Lou fell:

Video footage stills of the Rambler after it had been taken in for evidence:

Last edited by Tahoe27 on March 27th, 2017, 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple". Dr. Suess   

June 6th, 2017, 3:11 pm #2

Thanks Tahoe, You would think that the police would have used yellow crime scene tape to protect contaminating the crime scene. Those tire tracks could have come from the Zodiac returning to the scene, or from reporters. What is odd to me, is that it was reported that there weren't any tire tacks at least the night of the shooting , because the ground was frozen.

Thanks for the link , I would like to see if there is footage of other crimes?
Last edited by sandy betts on June 6th, 2017, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Q
DOJ
Q
DOJ

June 10th, 2017, 11:00 pm #3

Was plastic yellow crime scene tape even invented yet, in 1968?

June 11th, 2017, 12:56 pm #4

Q, You are probably correct . There wasn't any used Sept 27th 1969 either. It looks as if regular tape wasn't invented yet? Because something that looks like a stick was used to hold the Sheriffs paper on the window of the Rambler where one of the shots was fired. You can see where what looks like a thin long stick went through the the paper and the other end of it is on the inside of the car.

Something else that should be noted, about the picture of the three men and the white car parked just about where Betty Lou's body had been. Years back someone had posted that that area was pretty small for two cars to be parked there. You can see it was large enough for several cars.

Paradice
DOJ

June 12th, 2017, 2:44 am #5

I thought the stick was a trajectory rod? It's been awhile since I've really looked at that photo, though.

June 13th, 2017, 8:21 pm #6

You are probably right Paradice, that could be what that stick is. Interesting that it is at that angle,which tells me he could have been standing close to the passenger window. He probably wanted to show them he meant business and to get out of the car.

Most of the trajectory rods that I have seen, were much longer than that one. That angel is more like a shorter person with his hand stretched out almost level. If the shooter was a taller person, that angel would be more downward don't you think? Of course I am one of the people who believes that Zodiac suffered from a little man's complex and that he is between 5ft 8 and 5ft 10 max.