Tung oil, how many coats?

Exchange tips, tricks and information about building, painting and finishing your Derby Car!

Mike7468

02 Mar 2016, 12:48 #1

How many coats of tung oil do you suggest on the floorboard? I see some cars that look like they have used polyurethane or something of that nature. I would like to get that look on my floorboards. I have put 3 coats on so far and it just looks like it is soaking that stuff in. It is just minwax tung oil. Not the Formsby high gloss. Does that make a difference? Thanks is advance!

jekj

03 Mar 2016, 17:09 #2

After three coats of tung oil it is unlikely that the floor is taking any more into the wood fibers.  Now it is building up a protective coating, using a high gloss formulation will make the bling jump out . All that being said, the rule states that no build up shall occur. Make sure to lightly sand between coats to keep the build up to a minimum yet fill in between the highs and lows of the fibers to archive the desired effect you are looking for.  In my experience this will be around seven thin coats.   Thick coats are not as durable as several thin coats .   Image     Image     Image

Paul Gale
Advanced Member

04 Mar 2016, 03:12 #3

The application of Tung Oil serves two purposes: First is sealing the wood to prevent water absorption/drying/absorption/etc. which can cause the floorboard warp; The second is adding weight.

The more Tung Oil applied, the more weight that is added. Adding weight to the floorboard lowers the cars center-of-mass (aka center-of-gravity). On most tracks, a lower center-of-mass increases a cars potential energy which translates into more speed.

If you have not already, I suggest temporarily plugging all holes in the floorboard with a tapered cork or silicone stopper and then filling the holes with Tung Oil. Allow the Tung Oil to soak into the floorboard and then refill the holes. Repeat this sequence until the holes will no longer absorb more oil.

Paul

Mike7468

07 Mar 2016, 14:07 #4

Thanks for the info. My cars only run Akron, they are primarily used for the Gravity Racing Challenge, but this year I might run a few in the Akron Local.