Legend of Grimrock

February 13th, 2014, 12:17 am #1

Hi Zemalf, really enjoying this Let's Play so far...I played a ton of these step-by-step dungeon crawlers back in the day, but haven't played any for a few years now.

I've got an idea about the puzzle you're currently stuck on (Beast Garden and Menagerie area).... let me preface it by saying I've never seen Legend of Grimrock before your playthrough, and I haven't read any walkthroughs or any of the comments on the youtube videos. I dunno if it will work or not, just throwing a possibility out there. Since it's not really a "hint" per se, I didn't write it in a poem form...I'll put it in spoiler boxes just in case you don't want any suggestions
[+] spoiler
I think that maybe the area with the portal on top of the trap door is the end point of each of the four areas (Time and Tide, Beast Garden and Menagerie, The Catacomb, and Trails of Thought). I think by finding the scroll that says "but still dreaming", you essentially finished the Beast Garden and Menagerie section. I'd guess that if you had been able to get further in Time and Tide you would have ended up in the same room on another side of that portal, and able to pick up a different scroll. The Catacomb and Trail of Thought probably lead to the other two scrolls. I'd wager that once you've collected all 4 scroll pieces you'll be able to fall down into the room with the key...
I wish I had an idea about completing the Time and Tide area...that's a tough puzzle...

February 13th, 2014, 10:40 pm #2

hah watching today's video, I was exactly right. glad you figured it out (and Time & Tide as well!)