Temporary Forum Closure

February 24th, 2016, 8:37 pm #1

This forum will temporarily be closed this coming Saturday and Sunday for maintenance. This may occur more than one weekend in a row. During such time, here is what is planned to be accomplished:

-Remove canceled/garbage/useless topics, posts, or subforums that have been inactive for quite some time.
-New, more professional theme (old will be retained)
-New organizational setup and way of handling rule infractions (staff related stuff)
-New overall feel for the community

Any rejections or suggestions please let administration know by posting below.

Thanks
Sylux102
Last edited by Sylux102 on February 24th, 2016, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage. - Hero's Shade, Twilight Princess

February 24th, 2016, 9:44 pm #2

Looking forward to the new look! I do have some suggestions if that's alright.

1) The threads seem really cluttered and scattered between several topics and areas so it makes it really hard to navigate. I was wondering if you could search for all the tutorial threads and put them into their own subforum based on topic?

Let's say that "???" is any topic, like sketchup stuff, model importing, music, Hex edits, etc.

For example: Index/Z64Modding/Tutorials/???/

2) Requirements for posting "project" threads because a lot of new or inexperienced modders have a lot of motivation to do amazing things, but fail because they set the bar too high and announce before much work is done. Maybe we could have it to where you need to include actual proof of development (Like several screenshots, context, etc. Basically up to the point where it can be released "as is"). There could be requiered updates every week to keep the thread unlocked, any other idea is as good as mine.

3) A section for community efforts. I think a problem in the community is that everyone is kind of "on their own" in a way. Projects are usually hidden and have little support other than the main creators. I think it'd be very beneficial if the community could get together and make something amazing. Perhaps a few community projects could be volunteeringly assigned and each member would have a roll based on their skills. Not only will we be busy with making the place more enjoyable, will be making friends and a lot of people will learn how to improve their modding skills.

That's all I got for now. I really think these ideas can help the community if we can get it started. :)

Last edited by Psi-Hate on February 24th, 2016, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psi-Hacker

February 24th, 2016, 9:49 pm #3

My only suggestion: Don't outright delete anything. Loss of posts, loss of notes, loss of documentation has happened way too often elsewhere, and I'd hate to see it happen here as well. Even if it's something you deem insignificant or useless, just move it into a read-only category or subforum instead of deleting it, so that, if anyone else might ever look for it, for whatever reason, it'll still be accessible.

February 24th, 2016, 10:06 pm #4

@PSi Hate - most of what you mentioned falls under organization changes and new community feel. Good ideas, will try to implement them.

@xDaniel such insignificant posts will be moved to a trash/archive section and made read only, should've specified that.
A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage. - Hero's Shade, Twilight Princess

February 24th, 2016, 10:12 pm #5

Yeah there are some mods on here but haven't been active and act as place where the mod can be found. Like my play-as mod topic. I will say though, the navigation here is currently abysmal. Can you elaborate on how you are going to fix it? That way you can get opinions on this new layout before you put it in place.
The question is not why, the question is why not.

- Join the Zelda Chat

February 24th, 2016, 10:36 pm #6

Sylux102: Alright, that's great to hear. Don't think I have anything else to add that hasn't already been said.

February 24th, 2016, 11:50 pm #7

all I ask is that you dont bring out the ban hammer for inactive people. I don't see any reason to ban people.
Last edited by AriaHiro on February 24th, 2016, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 25th, 2016, 12:13 am #8

@Ganondork123 - any finished projects or released assets will be placed in their own category (ie Finished Mods, Canceled Mods, Released Assets). I will try to get a Master List topic for every kind of link on here (Master Tutorials List, Master Mods List, Master Assets List etc.

AriaHiro - Banning is getting its own special treatment. To thin out all of the very inactive people, I will send a mass email asking everyone who cares about keeping an account here to login by some certain time. Anyone else will have their account removed. This is merely to keep statistics accurate, current, and remove any missed spam accounts. If for some reason someone forgot their password or something like that, staff can manually reset it for them. People who care will stick around.

Banning will be handled in a completely separate, more fair way and will be viewable to all. It will be a far better system to handle banning.

February 25th, 2016, 12:16 am #9

im fine with that

February 25th, 2016, 1:40 pm #10

Does actually logging in make me active, or do I have to at least post?
"And now a world exclusive look at at the very first pictures of the new saga of the biggest adventure game of all time. Link comes back by the end of 98' in a universe of 3D so real! Zelda 64." - French Zelda 64 Guy