April 30th, 2016, 4:51 pm #11

It's not exactly "my" method. It's the one used by most modders, I believe. And of course you can resize files, why the hell would I be moving them otherwise?
Update!
Finished the simpler example. It should be easy to follow, and be a great introduction on moving files and working with a hex editor. Good luck with the MM modding!
Last edited by Ideka on May 1st, 2016, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What?! You don't have my money?! How dare you! You'd better bring me my money...or else!"
~ Happy Mask Salesman

Youtube
Webpage

May 1st, 2016, 12:45 pm #12

I think I understand what you're saying a little better now, but I still don't see what you're trying to get at overall.

A pointer points to a memory address. 0x03D0000003D1E250 isn't a pointer because the entire 8 byte value doesn't point to a single memory address, it's two different 4 byte pointers. When you said you only had to replace one pointer, I assumed you replaced what you called pointer #2 in your tutorial. The reason for that is that the value you called pointer #1 in your tutorial is known as the virtual rom start/end addresses, whereas #2 is the physical start/end addresses. Since all the files in the debug rom are decompressed, you can move a file and only have to replace the physical start address (in theory), as this won't break the virtual rom address reference(s), but your file size remains the same.

Still, outside of manually searching via hex editor for the start address of the file I want to move (since I have that info documented already), this is more or less the same process I go through when moving files in Ocarina of Time.

May 1st, 2016, 1:07 pm #13

Ah, I understand your point better now as well. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll make sure to fix my description of pointers in the tutorial soon enough.

And yes, I also go through a similar process when moving files in OoT, but I still only have to replace the start- and end offset pointers at one single location in ROM. Also, like you said, the locations of all files in OoT are well documented and accessible. This is not always the case with MM however, and therefore it can be very useful to know how locate these yourself when modifying that game.
"What?! You don't have my money?! How dare you! You'd better bring me my money...or else!"
~ Happy Mask Salesman

Youtube
Webpage

May 1st, 2016, 1:29 pm #14

Also @ideka I looked through Majora's Mask at least on the US ROM.
I found the area you said free space starts it's actually overrights some value that you need so just for any confusion or at least just for the Majora's Mask US ROM.
the actual start of free space that works for me at least is 02eda3f0.
Ok I just thought I let you know that.
If you don't believe me look at the rom yourself at that offset you'll see you get much more free space for that area. :)
surely you'll be able to get the Majora's Mask back believe in your strengths believe Happy Mask Salesman of Zelda Majora's Mask.

May 1st, 2016, 1:36 pm #15

I simply stated that free space usually starts somewhere around offset 0x3D00000 (meaning that basically all data after that offset certainly is unused by the original game) in all decompressed N64 Zelda ROMs, not that it started precisely at that specific location.
~ Happy Mask Salesman

Youtube
Webpage

May 1st, 2016, 1:46 pm #16

Oh okay well I guess that's why this tutorial is a work in progress. :)
I've been asked by some people on how I did it.
And I told them you have to understand this topic.
And to tell you the truth.
I understand the first part about hex editing.
but I did not understand about the CRC recalculation.
and that's why I went on Google and went to many other ROM hacking forums. :)
Anyways thanks for finding this method.
Without it my mm 3D Llink port.
would not have gotten so far without it. :)
Last edited by zelda5655 on May 1st, 2016, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surely you'll be able to get the Majora's Mask back believe in your strengths believe Happy Mask Salesman of Zelda Majora's Mask.

May 1st, 2016, 2:19 pm #17

Well, in the new, simpler version of the tutorial, everything should hopefully seem way less complex than in the original one. CRC recalculation is also explained, it really should be a simple process. If you didn't notice, you can find this version under "Example of process" in the original post.
Last edited by Ideka on May 1st, 2016, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Happy Mask Salesman

Youtube
Webpage

May 1st, 2016, 6:23 pm #18

Looking into someone else's mod, one thing that I've discovered recently is that in the Debug Rom, the DMA table record for a room file doesn't have to match up correctly in order to load the room file, so I'm wondering if this is the thing you've noticed.

It sort of makes sense since the Debug Rom doesn't actually need the DMA table to locate files, since you could simply load files directly from rom without it. However, I wouldn't take shortcuts here.

May 12th, 2016, 11:27 pm #19

I don't mean to bother you @Ideka but this free space method work somewhat.
Like in certain areas such as the ranch and the ocean my model will not pop up and the game crashes with a black screen. :(
I didn't even extend it too much either.
I am clueless on what I should do now on my project.
And there's not enough unused space in the zobj to do what flotonic did. :(
I hope at some point either me or you will be able to fix this problem. :)