Majora's Mask N64 HD Project

July 3rd, 2017, 9:55 pm #1

8/23/2018 - DEMO

If you want to try to pack, I have all my current progress here:
https://mega.nz/#!eYtlmQYa!s9cawlUkNgdt ... rwo1ej11lA

Hello everyone. For about four months I've been working on high res textures for the GlideN64 plugin. I figured I should probably share that this is a thing, and also get feedback that might help me improve from here. Any criticism is welcome:

I'm doing this because I was extremely disappointed by Majora's Mask 3D, and the texture packs for the original were either incomplete or wildly strayed from the original art style. Some new packs are using MM3D textures, which are an improvement but still extremely low res. My goal is to do something similar to Cris and Albert's Resident Evil 4 HD mod, redrawing things as faithfully as possible. I'm using the original concept art whenever possible and when textures are unclear I'm using MM3D as a reference; you might notice a few textures, like the clock tower wheels, are based off of that version.

Current Progress-
I have almost all of the environmental textures from the intro sequence and the clock town's outdoor areas done- only some of the shop interiors are textured (this is my focus now). Termina field is about 70% done- beyond that, the four cardinal directions haven't been started. The UI is very far along with the backgrounds of menus being the main holdup. Characters, enemies, and effects (like fire/skies) haven't been started yet for the most part. Given that clock town is the most complicated part of the game, I imagine it won't take longer than another 3 months to do each cardinal direction, so I estimate I can finish in about a year depending on my schedule. It's worth noting that none of these are necessarily final textures and there are a few I intend to revisit later. The bottle texture was pulled from a tumblr account I found when I was starting the pack, Geibuchan. If I choose to keep it I'll ask for permission to use it. The other items were taken from official renders.

Obstacles-
There are a lot of texture seams and mapping issues that I've done my best to minimize; I'm not sure if these are in the original game or due to a glitch with GlideN64. The biggest problem is Link himself, since his model is really ugly and I can't do much with it. My hope is that eventually someone will perfect a port of MM3D Link's model so that I can avoid this issue; the current ports seem to have some proportion issues. I'd also like to replace a few other unsightly elements, like the blocky yellow doorknobs. If anyone is knowledgeable about 3D edits and could port these things in from MM3D, I'd appreciate the help.
GlideN64 itself suffers from a lighting issue that causes the light points to glitch back and forth in a few areas, which is a known issue and will hopefully be fixed when this mod is done. And finally the pack itself is really big; it's over 200mb now and will be well over 1GB when it's done. GlideN64 only supports PNG, which can't compress any further than it already is, so the only solution to this is to reduce the texture resolutions and noticeably lower the quality of the pack. I'll lower the resolutions if the pack size becomes a problem for people.

The screenshots above were taken using Reshade with the MXAO, ambient light, and bloom shaders. I feel like these effects enhance the visuals a lot, but ambient occlusion requires framebuffer emulation to be disabled, which blacks out certain cutscenes and disabled a few effects like lens flares. I feel like it's a worthwhile enough enhancement to put up with those losses; If anyone is interested, instructions are included with the pack.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Last edited by Nerrel on August 24th, 2018, 2:53 am, edited 9 times in total.

July 3rd, 2017, 10:15 pm #2

Oh wow this a great! Best texture pack I've seen for MM thus far. I can't wait to try it later. I'll give you more feedback then. :)
Oh and how do you do the ReShade thing?
Last edited by AcelibN64 on July 3rd, 2017, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 4th, 2017, 10:37 pm #3

Wow, very impressive! I think this is the first texture pack I've seen that sticks to the vanilla feel as best as it can. This reminds me of the OOT community texture pack, but for MM. Speaking of which, you should post this on http://www.emutalk.net/forums/138-Work- ... -(WIP[/url) , perhaps you already have, I'll have to look.

The last MM texture pack I liked was this one: http://napoleoncorp.webs.com/gallery (scroll to bottom for pics)

I feel like the moon texture you made should be a bit darker, but that's just me.
Last edited by Zanak on July 4th, 2017, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

July 5th, 2017, 12:36 am #4

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post on emutalk as well, but I want to tweak a few more things and re-up the pack first (I almost finished the mayor's office since yesterday).

For reshade, you have to download the program at https://reshade.me/ and then run it and select your N64 emlulator's exe (Project64 in my case) and choose "OpenGL." At some point it will ask you which shaders you want to download; you can decide what you want to use for yourself, but the bloom, SMAA, MXAO, and ambient light shaders I use and the configuration file can be downloaded here.

[url=https://mega.nz/#!qQdx2bSD!Tu4fm0 ... j9dplGulKU
[/url]

Run your emulator and go through Reshade's quick setup process, then copy the files from the zip into your emulator root folder, overwriting if necessary. Click the "+" at the top and enter Majora's Mask and it should then load the settings from the ini file. Remember to disable framebuffer emulation in your graphics settings. You can see the difference it makes here; it can really enhance the sense of depth and give some atmosphere to the game. MM 3D has some sort of approximation of ambient occlusion, so this brings the 64 version a step closer to the remake.

Comparison
Clock Town is nearly finished now. I wanted to share an update of some of the posters and signs, which I've had a lot of fun redoing:

There's good news and bad news about Reshade... the next version of GlideN64 will no longer allow ambient occlusion to work, but the developer says it will be possible to restore the ability and to make it work without having to disable framebuffer emulation. That would be a huge improvement, allowing the visuals to be enhanced a lot with no loss of emulation accuracy.

Last edited by Nerrel on August 5th, 2017, 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

August 5th, 2017, 5:44 am #5

AMAZING!

August 6th, 2017, 3:03 pm #6

Very impressive, but if I might give a small criticism: I feel the textures for the treasure chest stray too far from the original, the new one kinda looks off for clock town, but the rest of em, wow, very nicely done.

August 14th, 2017, 10:35 am #7

Thanks for the impressions. That particular poster was based more off the 3D version, so maybe it doesn't fit in with the old clock town... Is there anything specific about it that bothers you? If I were to change anything now it would be the text.

Here are some more views from clock town:

August 15th, 2017, 8:47 pm #8

While the vast majority of the posters work well, I think some of the corner-y ones (like the Lulu one) could use borders or rounded edges or something (If you look at the original treasure chest poster, it already had them).

Other that, very nice work!
Maybe you could make Mayor Dotour's chair more yellow-y and less orange?

August 15th, 2017, 9:57 pm #9

Yeah, I'll definitely revisit those posters (the Zora poster is still missing some text), but unfortunately the weird mappings make it hard to shape the edges. The rightmost rows of pixels in that treasure shop poster are stretched, so if I were to cut anything away there it would just get smeared over to the edge anyway. There's still room to improve and find workarounds, though.

As for the mayor, I'm basing everything off of the concept art first and foremost rather than the original game. The hardware was so limiting that I don't want to take it as an indication of what the developers wanted the game to look like. The coloring I used was drawn from his character art:

August 15th, 2017, 10:50 pm #10

Very nice! This is what a true HD remake should be. (in my opinion at least)

Keep at it man!