Nicky Hind - Hindsight

zeitgeist
Advanced Member
zeitgeist
Advanced Member

November 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm #1

Nicky Hind - Hindsight

You wouldn't have thought that a twenty year old piece of ambient / neo-classical / cinemascope music would retain any resonance so long after the event, but some music is timeless, and so it proves with this remarkably accomplished piece from the then youthful Edinburgher, Nicky Hind.

Two decades on, he's now California based and missing out on the delights of fly tipping and heritage destruction, but this atmospheric and reflective work actually manages to provide some relief from the horrors outside my window. Apart from when it goes all dark and makes the hackles rise. He himself says that fans of Philip Glass, Jan Garbarek and John Surman will find this a rewarding listen, and despite my antipathy towards Glass, I heartily concur.

Although, there are six pieces of music here, the record flows as a whole, with the work of jazz saxophonist Steve Kettley and clarinetist Dick Lee playing a huge part in capturing the various moods represented. It's a treat from beginning to end but 'A Far Cry' which tells of the yearning for a distant loved one, and the spook filled 'The Dead Of Night' are particular stand outs.

Buy CD From Amazon